The Student Room Group

Business Management Degree

Anyone here recently taken or is taking a Business Management Degree? A couple of questions for you.

1. What's the actual course like?
2. Which uni are you at- what's it like for Business Management?

Thanks
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Original post by adam9317
Anyone here recently taken or is taking a Business Management Degree? A couple of questions for you.

Thanks

I can help a little with your Q1.
A business management degree is both qualitative and quantitative, with project coursework and end-year exams, unlike other courses like Accounting, Finance or Economics which are largely quantitative with 100% exams at year end. So, to enjoy it, best you like and are good in writing as well as with numbers. You do not have a functional focus like Accounting or Economics but an overview of everything in business such as marketing, human resource management, operations, strategic planning, research methods, and most courses allow you to choose options in areas you would like to focus on. A broad and practical course.
Reply 3
Original post by GandalfWhite
I can help a little with your Q1.
A business management degree is both qualitative and quantitative, with project coursework and end-year exams, unlike other courses like Accounting, Finance or Economics which are largely quantitative with 100% exams at year end. So, to enjoy it, best you like and are good in writing as well as with numbers. You do not have a functional focus like Accounting or Economics but an overview of everything in business such as marketing, human resource management, operations, strategic planning, research methods, and most courses allow you to choose options in areas you would like to focus on. A broad and practical course.

Thanks very much for your help, that gives me a better idea! :smile:
Reply 4

Thanks

Hey!

I am a first year Business and Management student at Aston University. The course is a great mix in the first year. As they try to introduce you to all the different aspects of the business. It is mix of exam and coursework with more emphasis on exams in most of my modules.

At Aston I will be doing 12 modules in the first year:
Organisational behaviour - This is 100% coursework based on the lectures and you learn about people and their behaviour etc.
Financial Accounting - this is has a test and an exam. It is basically accounting so involves all the balance sheets etc.
Economic Environment - This is 100% exam and is just learning about Economics and the basics of it all.
PPAE - This is a 100% coursework module and its all about learning and the skills needed for it.
Law - 100% exam - you learn about contract law and other things and just basic history of law and stuff.
Management Accounting - test and an exam. This basically anther form of accounting.
Foundations of Business Analytics -quizzes and exam. This is basically maths; so probability, hypotheses testing and so on.
Applied EConomics - This is applying economics to the real environment and other examples. 100% exam.
Marketing management - coursework and exam. This is just marketing and learning all about marketing techniques etc.
International perspective - learning about the international side to business and this is 100% coursework.
IT - this is all about the use of IT in business and this 100% exam as well.
Operations Management - 100% exam

Overall my course is amazing. However, it is quite Mathsy which is something I didnt expect but I guess you do get used to it.
Reply 5
Original post by Bee3011
Hey!

I am a first year Business and Management student at Aston University. The course is a great mix in the first year. As they try to introduce you to all the different aspects of the business. It is mix of exam and coursework with more emphasis on exams in most of my modules.

At Aston I will be doing 12 modules in the first year:
Organisational behaviour - This is 100% coursework based on the lectures and you learn about people and their behaviour etc.
Financial Accounting - this is has a test and an exam. It is basically accounting so involves all the balance sheets etc.
Economic Environment - This is 100% exam and is just learning about Economics and the basics of it all.
PPAE - This is a 100% coursework module and its all about learning and the skills needed for it.
Law - 100% exam - you learn about contract law and other things and just basic history of law and stuff.
Management Accounting - test and an exam. This basically anther form of accounting.
Foundations of Business Analytics -quizzes and exam. This is basically maths; so probability, hypotheses testing and so on.
Applied EConomics - This is applying economics to the real environment and other examples. 100% exam.
Marketing management - coursework and exam. This is just marketing and learning all about marketing techniques etc.
International perspective - learning about the international side to business and this is 100% coursework.
IT - this is all about the use of IT in business and this 100% exam as well.
Operations Management - 100% exam

Overall my course is amazing. However, it is quite Mathsy which is something I didnt expect but I guess you do get used to it.

Sounds like a really good course!

When you say its quite Mathsy, is it really mathsy?
Reply 6
Sounds like a really good course!

When you say its quite Mathsy, is it really mathsy?

I personally think its quite mathsy because the last time I did maths was 2 years ago so getting used to maths is hard.

Foundations of business analytics is really hard IMO,it is statistics, probabilities, hypotheses testing, algebra and all sorts of other things and it can be quite tricky if youre not good at maths. :smile:
Reply 7
I still have to research in depth, but there are 3 courses which look interesting
1. Business Management
2. Business Management and Economics
3. Business Economics

Thanks for your help
Reply 8
I still have to research in depth, but there are 3 courses which look interesting
1. Business Management
2. Business Management and Economics
3. Business Economics

Thanks for your help

Business and management is quite good :smile: which universities you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Bee3011
Business and management is quite good :smile: which universities you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am from Northern Ireland, so Queens Belfast Is appealing, but mainland England has a wider range of courses.

Belfast is appealing, as a local my fees would be £3,600 whereas mainland England would be £9000

Its tough choices!
I am from Northern Ireland, so Queens Belfast Is appealing, but mainland England has a wider range of courses.

Belfast is appealing, as a local my fees would be £3,600 whereas mainland England would be £9000

Its tough choices!

Oh okay :smile:

But the difference is huge so i would probably go for the cheaper one. But it is definitely a tough choice :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Bee3011
Oh okay :smile:

But the difference is huge so i would probably go for the cheaper one. But it is definitely a tough choice :smile:

The cost looks like it could be the deciding factor. A tough choice it definitely is
The cost looks like it could be the deciding factor. A tough choice it definitely is

Good luck and hope you end up in the best place for you :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Bee3011
Good luck and hope you end up in the best place for you :smile:

Many thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending