The Student Room Group

Unlimited internet dongles

Hi I am probably going to be on placements next year and I;ve heard the internet connection is temperamental. I really need the internet to work as all my textbooks are on-line.
I was thus wondering if anyone knew of any cheap (less than £20 / month) ways of getting ulimited internet access (when I say unlimtied I mean I can use upto 40 GB a month without watching films).

I do not have a smart phone so cannot get a phone contract.

any ideas would be really great
thanks
Original post by jsmith6131
Hi I am probably going to be on placements next year and I;ve heard the internet connection is temperamental. I really need the internet to work as all my textbooks are on-line.
I was thus wondering if anyone knew of any cheap (less than £20 / month) ways of getting ulimited internet access (when I say unlimtied I mean I can use upto 40 GB a month without watching films).

thanks

There's mifi....however nothings unlimited which I have looked at.
Best thing to do is get a cheap 4g smartphone and get an unlimited data sim plan from 3.

thanks

By internet connection being termpermental, I'd want to know what exactly they mean by that. Is it that the actual broadband cuts off? Or is it an issue with the little wireless router they provide? I mean, if you had a wired conncetion, would it be OK? And would it also be OK, if you used your own equipment?

"Unlimited" internet on 3G/4G is pretty expensive tbh.
Original post by The_Internet
By internet connection being termpermental, I'd want to know what exactly they mean by that. Is it that the actual broadband cuts off? Or is it an issue with the little wireless router they provide? I mean, if you had a wired conncetion, would it be OK? And would it also be OK, if you used your own equipment?

"Unlimited" internet on 3G/4G is pretty expensive tbh.

Three does has an "all you can eat data" sim which gives unlimited 4G internet for £15 a month, which is reasonable, especially if you make full use of it.
Original post by jameswhughes
Three does has an "all you can eat data" sim which gives unlimited 4G internet for £15 a month, which is reasonable, especially if you make full use of it.

This is true, however do they allow tethering? I mean if you do tether, it wouldn't be illegal. It'd just be breaking three's t's and c's

I'd try and investigate what could be done within the house, to see if you can sort the internet connection tbh (And save £15/month or £180/year)
This is true, however do they allow tethering? I mean if you do tether, it wouldn't be illegal. It'd just be breaking three's t's and c's

I'd try and investigate what could be done within the house, to see if you can sort the internet connection tbh (And save £15/month or £180/year)

Illegal? :lol:

I'm on Three and tethering works fine, if it's not allowed then it's up to them to cut me off - which they haven't.
Illegal? :lol:

I'm on Three and tethering works fine, if it's not allowed then it's up to them to cut me off - which they haven't.

Im saying it isnt going to be illegal, and yeah it works fine, but it might not be in their terms and conditions to allow such a thing

And fair enough if they havent

Tbh, Id want to do some investigating in to WHY the internet keeps cutting out. If it turns out that it's due to external factors, and nothing you can sort out internally, fair enough, go for the MiFi route, but otherwise Id look in to putting a simple ****ty router like a DIR-615 in there, and see if that improves any thing.
Im saying it isnt going to be illegal, and yeah it works fine, but it might not be in their terms and conditions to allow such a thing

And fair enough if they havent

Tbh, Id want to do some investigating in to WHY the internet keeps cutting out. If it turns out that it's due to external factors, and nothing you can sort out internally, fair enough, go for the MiFi route, but otherwise Id look in to putting a simple ****ty router like a DIR-615 in there, and see if that improves any thing.

I'm not the OP, but from his post I get the impression he's going to be moving around on various placements, so maybe he needs a mobile solution instead of home broadband for that reason?
I'm not the OP, but from his post I get the impression he's going to be moving around on various placements, so maybe he needs a mobile solution instead of home broadband for that reason?

I took the word "placements" to be a typo ie: I thought he actually meant to type "placement" :biggrin: Last year, I was in a pretty rural place (Only just got fibre, and virgin cables havent been rolled out there) and the internet itself was fine. It's just who you used as a provider. Naturally, we just went for the cheapest, considering we couldn't get Virgin....

Unless ofc for the OP, internet is provided in a big accommodation place? Sorta like UNITE? So he has no control over the internet at all?

OP, we need more details! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I took the word "placements" to be a typo ie: I thought he actually meant to type "placement" :biggrin: Last year, I was in a pretty rural place (Only just got fibre, and virgin cables havent been rolled out there) and the internet itself was fine. It's just who you used as a provider. Naturally, we just went for the cheapest, considering we couldn't get Virgin....

Unless ofc for the OP, internet is provided in a big accommodation place? Sorta like UNITE? So he has no control over the internet at all?

OP, we need more details! :smile:

Hi,
thanks for all your replies. Yes I will be on PLACEMENTS (multiple)...I will likely be in one place for 3 months and then another place for 3 months (for the next 3 years!) as such mobile internet would be ideal.

I think the person who told me about this meant loading webpages is very slow. I don't think i will have an ethernet port (and certainly wouldn't rely on having on)...I will only really be accessing low-power webpages but as I go through so many every day I use up a lot of data.....
Hi,
thanks for all your replies. Yes I will be on PLACEMENTS (multiple)...I will likely be in one place for 3 months and then another place for 3 months (for the next 3 years!) as such mobile internet would be ideal.

I think the person who told me about this meant loading webpages is very slow. I don't think i will have an ethernet port (and certainly wouldn't rely on having on)...I will only really be accessing low-power webpages but as I go through so many every day I use up a lot of data.....

Ahhh that's fair enough. If it's in your control, then Id want to messa bout with the WiFi. If it's not, then probably is best to get the mobile internet as it were.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending