The Student Room Group

I dont know what to take at university and what unis i should go to

I am not sure what options I would like to do, however I know I want to do something business related, at college I do, Maths/Business/It, and I am struggling whether to decide to take Business studies/Business Management/ Economics.

I am quite a creative person, and I am very good at solving problems, When i am older I see myself running my own business or working for a business in a job that revolves around a lot of critical and creative thinking, therefore I think studies and economics would be the best.

The universities I have got in mind are: Loughborough, Southampton, Portsmouth, Bath Spa & Lilcoln.

I take BTEC Business/ICT (GETTING DISTINCTION STAR IN BOTH)
AS Maths (Got a C last year, hope to improve)

any advice on other good universities to go to for business studies/economics and any career advice these topics can lead into for me?

THaNKs

Scroll to see replies

Warwick is the best for economics. Do I need to say more?

i'll suggest do something you really want to do. Look at every business/economics course in top universities and check out if you can really acheive the grades they want. You'll need to work really hard and achieve fantastic grades to get into top universities such as LSE or Warwick.

The universities you have in mind are good but not great. That also means that you'll need to make the most out of your degree. Ill suggest you talk to someone who is currently doing Business Studies or Economics. You might find many here in StudentRoom. Ask them their opinion. Analyse your grades and choose wisely.
Reply 2
Original post by NerdyMeg
Warwick is the best for economics. Do I need to say more?

i'll suggest do something you really want to do. Look at every business/economics course in top universities and check out if you can really acheive the grades they want. You'll need to work really hard and achieve fantastic grades to get into top universities such as LSE or Warwick.

The universities you have in mind are good but not great. That also means that you'll need to make the most out of your degree. Ill suggest you talk to someone who is currently doing Business Studies or Economics. You might find many here in StudentRoom. Ask them their opinion. Analyse your grades and choose wisely.

I'd disagree, Cambridge probably has the best course. Also Warwick, LSE et al. are a bit beyond the OP's grades.

OP:Maths is quite important for economics, are you sure you want to go for it? Also, a degree isn't necessary if you want your own business you could just start one up now and become quite successful that way.
Original post by TVIO
I'd disagree, Cambridge probably has the best course. Also Warwick, LSE et al. are a bit beyond the OP's grades.

OP:Maths is quite important for economics, are you sure you want to go for it? Also, a degree isn't necessary if you want your own business you could just start one up now and become quite successful that way.

just because you got offer from cambridge doesnt mean Cambridge is the best for everthing. Warwick is known worldwide for its Economics and Maths course. It is even higher regarded than Cambridge in those courses. You cannot be biased towards Cambridge because you consider yourself a genius who has got an offer from Cambridge.
Original post by TVIO

http://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/2014/may/university-guide/?view=subject&subject=S360
Original post by TVIO

Oops oxford has the best course. Burrrrnnnn!
Original post by redflower123
I am not sure what options I would like to do, however I know I want to do something business related, at college I do, Maths/Business/It, and I am struggling whether to decide to take Business studies/Business
Management/ Economics.

I am quite a creative person, and I am very good at solving problems, When i am older I see myself running my own business or working for a business in a job that revolves around a lot of critical and creative thinking, therefore I think studies and economics would be the best.

The universities I have got in mind are: Loughborough, Southampton, Portsmouth, Bath Spa & Lilcoln.

I take BTEC Business/ICT (GETTING DISTINCTION STAR IN BOTH)
AS Maths (Got a C last year, hope to improve)

any advice on other good universities to go to for business studies/economics and any career advice these topics can lead into for me?

THaNKs

well today is the ucas deadline honey booboo 🙊😶
Reply 7
just because you got offer from cambridge doesnt mean Cambridge is the best for everthing. Warwick is known worldwide for its Economics and Maths course. It is even higher regarded than Cambridge in those courses. You cannot be biased towards Cambridge because you consider yourself a genius who has got an offer from Cambridge.

I'm not biased, and I certainly don't consider myself a genius. I have several friends who have researched this quite heavily and they all thought Cambridge had the best course for economics, and subsequently applied with every intention of firming Cambridge should they receive an offer. I'm frankly a little offended that you'd suggest I'm an arrogant egotist. 'Best' is a subjective measure in this case and different league tables assign different weight to different categories. Even the one you cited lists Cambridge with the highest score careerwise which I'd personally consider the number 1 factor. Also the source you cite lists Warwick as lower than both Cambridge and Oxford.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TVIO
I'm not biased, and I certainly don't consider myself a genius. I have several friends who have researched this quite heavily and they all thought Cambridge had the best course for economics, and subsequently applied with every intention of firming Cambridge should they receive an offer. I'm frankly a little offended that you'd suggest I'm an arrogant egotist. 'Best' is a subjective measure in this case and different league tables assign different weight to different categories. Even the one you cited lists Cambridge with the highest score careerwise which I'd personally consider the number 1 factor. Also the source you cite lists Warwick as lower than both Cambridge and Oxford.

what are you? brand ambassador of Cambridge?
Original post by TVIO

Also remember one thing, not everyone runs after money unlike you.
Original post by TVIO

Also my answer was based on MY OPINION. I dont need you to change that.
Reply 11
Also my answer was based on MY OPINION. I dont need you to change that.

lol chill. you were the one that turned it into a personal attack on me
Original post by TVIO
lol chill. you were the one that turned it into a personal attack on me

you were the one who started this mate
Reply 13
you were the one who started this mate

Please enlighten me as to how "I'd disagree, Cambridge probably has the best course. Also Warwick, LSE et al. are a bit beyond the OP's grades." is a personal attack on you? I have as much right to share my opinion as you do. And free speech goes both ways, I have every right to disagree with you.
Original post by TVIO
Please enlighten me as to how "I'd disagree, Cambridge probably has the best course. Also Warwick, LSE et al. are a bit beyond the OP's grades." is a personal attack on you? I have as much right to share my opinion as you do. And free speech goes both ways, I have every right to disagree with you.

even so I have every right to defend my opinion.
If you aren't sure what you want to do, take a gap year and get some work experience. You don't need to go to uni now. There's nothing wrong with starting uni at 19/20. Better to start then and have a better idea of what you want to do, than apply at 18 and not be 100% sure what you want to do.

You do also need to consier where you want to live for the next 3-4 years. You may also need to factor in the distance from home, if you're someone who is likely to want to pop home every weekend to see your family, etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
even so I have every right to defend my opinion.

Ignoring my question, no surprise there. :rolleyes:
What evidence do you have for this "You cannot be biased towards Cambridge because you consider yourself a genius who has got an offer from Cambridge." exactly?
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=economics
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8741813/Top-10-economics-degree-courses-favoured-by-employers.html
Sources for my counter claims.
Original post by TVIO
What evidence do you have for this "You cannot be biased towards Cambridge because you consider yourself a genius who has got an offer from Cambridge." exactly?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8741813/Top-10-economics-degree-courses-favoured-by-employers.html

you really trust telegraph for their rankings?! seriously dude!?
Original post by TVIO

"Cambridge's Brand Ambassador"
Original post by TVIO

ill suggest stop arguing with me. Everyone has rights to their own opinion. Tomorrow Ill invade you with links, let me study now :3 bye

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending