The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by TomJ2297
I got an Un-conditional offer, should I feel bad?

Why? Out of guilt? All successful gap year applicants get unconditionals, and there are more of them than you may think...
Reply 621
Original post by sgk286
Was there anyone here in which their school and teachers didn't really care that they got an offer from Oxford or is it just me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What, that's awful! They should care about any offer you get, whether it's from Oxford or not! I take it Oxford offers aren't common at your school? Either way don't let their reaction deflate you, it's a brilliant achievement and you should be proud, don't devalue yourself just because they don't seem to care about your future! You'll never have to see them again after September anyway so stuff 'em :biggrin:
Original post by sgk286
Was there anyone here in which their school and teachers didn't really care that they got an offer from Oxford or is it just me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least you didn't have to go through the embarrassment of being called out during assembly..
Original post by Yaz97
I think the closest person I was aware of was a boy from Liverpool, but us "Northerners" (we're not even Northern!) are definitely a minority! :') haha I can't even think what else I would call a jitty... an alleyway maybe?
I haven't visited Worcester but if it's similar to St Catz then it must be nice! What were the reasons you applied there? I'll be allocated to a college after results day, as where I go will depend on the applicants who don't meet the entry requirements. It's strange not to know, but kind of exciting! And I'd definitely have gone with Somerville if I were you :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon we're Northern enough! Well, it's not similar in terms of architecture or anything (Worcester's an old one) but it has grass you can walk on and mostly I chose it because it's good for maths and has lots of accommodation so if I wanted to stay there for 3 years I could (same as Catz!) :biggrin: yeah that will be a really awesome surprise when you find out!
Reply 624
Original post by Yaz97
What, that's awful! They should care about any offer you get, whether it's from Oxford or not! I take it Oxford offers aren't common at your school? Either way don't let their reaction deflate you, it's a brilliant achievement and you should be proud, don't devalue yourself just because they don't seem to care about your future! You'll never have to see them again after September anyway so stuff 'em :biggrin:

Actually, last year, there was only one who got into a UK university. He got into Lancaster through clearing as he failed to obtain his offer from Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lately every now and then I remember I've got an Oxford offer and party all over again haha :smile: Mocks are next week and I can't bring myself to revise though I probably should! It's partly because of the offer making me feel like I've already got a definite place and also because I failed last years mocks horribly (I recall a U in Economics and a D in Physics) due to being in hospital for most of early Year 12 after an accident and it didn't affect my actual grades in the end. I want to find mocks important but I can't get motivated :s
Original post by DodoManiac
I guess so, but it felt sooo bad... There were points when everyone was silent because we were all very confused and didn't know what was going on hahaa...
Ja natürlich! Das wäre echt gut!
Ah ok. I don't know much about Japenese culture but I have a friend who's really into it. So are Japanese and Mandarin quite similar then? Yeah, I chose French because I find it quite easy and there wasn't anything else I wanted to do. I actually really enjoy German though and want to spend time in Germany for a bit at some point :biggrin:
Haha, but the problem is enough nice ones coming up... Hmm, they say 4 decent (but not perfect) answers generally get a 1 and I have no idea whether I'd be able to get that in the exam. Do you think you're going to take STEP then?

Well if no one else knew what was going on either...? =D
Hmm, as clh_hilary said Mandarin and Japanese are very different, especially in terms of grammar. As the Japanese writing system is based off the Chinese one I thought that would make it interesting ^^ It means they share some common characters - although this can be misleading, as some characters that both languages share have similar, but definitely not the same, meanings e.g. Notebook in one is toilet paper in another.
Wo willst du in Deutschland gehen? Hast du die GCSE studiert?
Hmmm...indeed....even if you are very good there's that small chance that you won't have a good day >.< I think I might take it, but just for fun =d
Reply 627
Original post by anonlad
At least you didn't have to go through the embarrassment of being called out during assembly..

Oh my goodness, I would die.

Sorry :-/
Original post by Somniare
Well if no one else knew what was going on either...? =D
Hmm, as clh_hilary said Mandarin and Japanese are very different, especially in terms of grammar. As the Japanese writing system is based off the Chinese one I thought that would make it interesting ^^ It means they share some common characters - although this can be misleading, as some characters that both languages share have similar, but definitely not the same, meanings e.g. Notebook in one is toilet paper in another.
Wo willst du in Deutschland gehen? Hast du die GCSE studiert?
Hmmm...indeed....even if you are very good there's that small chance that you won't have a good day >.< I think I might take it, but just for fun =d

Nah, I kept saying stupid things so they got a bit confused then I got really confused and we all just sat there blankly...
Ahh, I can see how that could cause some difficulties.. "Would you like to borrow a sheet of my toilet paper? I've only used one side." heehee :biggrin:
Errm, ich bin nicht sicher, wo ich fahren möchte aber Berlin ist sehr schön. Bist du einmal in Deutschland gewesen?
Yes that's very true... Hopefully it won't come to STEP though anyway. I think I'll take it for fun too, if not for Warwick.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TomJ2297
Im not a gap year student, im finishing my A levels this year.

Good attempt - Oxford don't give out unconditionals to those without results. Plus from your other posts it seems you're doing Business Management which is not a course Oxford offers.
Original post by Lucilou101
Good attempt - Oxford don't give out unconditionals to those without results. Plus from your other posts it seems you're doing Business Management which is not a course Oxford offers.

You may be right that he/she isn't being truthful, but I would just like to point out that Oxford does give unconditional offers to those without results. It's a very, very rare chance though, but it has happened before - my senior got an unconditional with predicted grades for History. I'm not sure how, or why though.
Original post by GailQ
Oh my goodness, I would die.

Sorry :-/

Haha it was fine just very awkward, my head of year got everybody to clap as well which made things even more embarrassing
Original post by michelle37
You may be right that he/she isn't being truthful, but I would just like to point out that Oxford does give unconditional offers to those without results. It's a very, very rare chance though, but it has happened before - my senior got an unconditional with predicted grades for History. I'm not sure how, or why though.

What do you mean by senior?
Original post by BlueSkyeCloudyDay
LOL I was considering this with one of my unis, but I think that may just severely piss them off (!!). It's a real problem with competitive courses, especially since a lot of unis just seem to put the same grade requirements but end up in clearing/on results day, drop their standards quite a bit. I think Warwick may accept a lower grade on results day, probably (don't take my word for it), - or at least they're more likely to than Ox.

Yup, spoke to my teacher and she said pretty much the same thing - I'll just put it as my insurance. Which college gave you an offer btw?
Original post by Lucilou101
What do you mean by senior?

A student one year before me in my school.
A student one year before me in my school.

That may happen if you're doing two sets of qualifications. For example, a person in an IB school who takes the SAT, APs, and Subject Tests before applying may get an unconditional rather than an IB-conditional. That's actually pretty common.

Unconditional offers to applicants who do not have the required qualifications runs foul of the Common Framework on Admissions that the colleges abide by and would be ruled out by the Faculty Admissions Coordinators. Since the abolition of entrance exams, unconditional offers have disappeared.
Original post by souktik
That may happen if you're doing two sets of qualifications. For example, a person in an IB school who takes the SAT, APs, and Subject Tests before applying may get an unconditional rather than an IB-conditional. That's actually pretty common.

This is correct. There is more than one way for some (usually overseas) candidates to meet course requirements. US applicants have different permutations of SAT, ACT, and AP tests, for example.

[h="3"]

I do not know what 'senior' means, but Oxford has not given out unconditional offers (nor 'EE' offers) for a long time. No offers have been below AAB since 2008. Stats showing their offers going back as far as 1991 are on their website.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rifleboy123
Lately every now and then I remember I've got an Oxford offer and party all over again haha :smile: Mocks are next week and I can't bring myself to revise though I probably should! It's partly because of the offer making me feel like I've already got a definite place and also because I failed last years mocks horribly (I recall a U in Economics and a D in Physics) due to being in hospital for most of early Year 12 after an accident and it didn't affect my actual grades in the end. I want to find mocks important but I can't get motivated :s

I feel the exact same way! I was motivated for about 2 minutes when my offer came though and have gone on to scrape Bs in my mocks. This time last year I was getting E's B's and C's in my mocks, and finished the year really well. I just find it really hard to motivate myself without the fear of failure and the time pressure of revising for real exams. I have the confidence of knowing that I can pull it off in the end as I have done it before, but I don't want that to turn into cockiness because I know just how hard A2s are and how much I want to meet this offer.

And all my offers are pretty much the same so I either get into oxford or go nowhere, which is motivating me a little

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending