The Student Room Group

S1 ial exam - january 2015

Hey everyone! There wasn't any thread for the jan15 IAL S1 paper so I decided to make one..
How did you guys find it? =)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sparrow_12
Hey everyone! There wasn't any thread for the jan15 IAL S1 paper so I decided to make one..
How did you guys find it? =)

Posted from TSR Mobile

How was ur one? Nd how did u find the questn?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It was good..what did u do for that question in which they asked to find the value of a and b between which the middle 95% of the data lies ?!?!
Reply 3
Ah dnt ask me that! I figurd out sth abt it jst bfore the xm ends nd cudnt cmplt it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Any more questns? Did u find it easy, ok or hard? Or is it only me who thought tym was vry less acrdng to questn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Can u temme what u would do for that if u had more time..
And umm I found it alright.. time was ok for me.. hoping for a good grade :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by sparrow_12
It was good..what did u do for that question in which they asked to find the value of a and b between which the middle 95% of the data lies ?!?!

since P(a<x<b)=0.95 i did P(x<b)=0.975 and used the values of mean and standard deviation like alway.. p(Z<(b-μ/σ)=0.975 and used the big table of values for φ(z) approximately 0.975 to find the value of b
I am not an official spokesperson but Arsey is a UK teacher who will not have any students taking this series of exams.. So I suspect there is no urgency to produce any model answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by ecy98
since P(a<x<b)=0.95 i did P(x<b)=0.975 and used the values of mean and standard deviation like alway.. p(Z<(b-μ/σ)=0.975 and used the big table of values for φ(z) approximately 0.975 to find the value of b

What was the value for k in the last question? and what was the standard deviation?? Does anyone remember???
Original post by mtareq24
What was the value for k in the last question? and what was the standard deviation?? Does anyone remember???

Im not sure if i remember correctly
But k was 101.4
And s.d was 4.75
Reply 10
K was 101.4 ish.. and standard deviation was 4.something.. can't remember :/
Wasn't k the upper quartile?
Does anybody remember their answers to 1 d and e? P(finding two odds) and (sum of numbers is 6| they're odd) I mean.
Original post by ThatAsianKid
Im not sure if i remember correctly
But k was 101.4
And s.d was 4.75

Bingo!! :biggrin:
Original post by asrar3284
Does anybody remember their answers to 1 d and e? P(finding two odds) and (sum of numbers is 6| they're odd) I mean.

Yes it was the upper quartile
And 1d was 0.38** and I forgot 1e
alright. How'd you get 0.38?
like 1d involved finding the probability of finding 2 odds and there were 3 numbers- 1, 3 and 5.
Doesn't that mean that there are six possible outcomes? (1,3; 3,1, 1,5; 5,1; 3,5 and 5,3)
i did 2*P(1 and 3) + 2*P(1 and 5) + 2*P(3 and 5) and got 0.2...
Reply 16
like 1d involved finding the probability of finding 2 odds and there were 3 numbers- 1, 3 and 5.
Doesn't that mean that there are six possible outcomes? (1,3; 3,1, 1,5; 5,1; 3,5 and 5,3)

there's also the probability of it being two 1s, 3s or 5s:smile:
Reply 17
I did the same.. :smile:
Reply 18
I think it was the lower quartile and NOT the upper quartile as P(W<k)=3P(W>K) and if it was the upper quartile, three times the upper quartile would give you the 225th percentie, which is illogical, however if it was the lower quartile, three times the lower quartile would be the upper quartile ans since there is no skewness the probability of the upper quartile is equal to the probability of the lower quartile.

I did like this
P(1 or 3 or 5) AND P(1 or 3 or 5)
It gave me 0.38**

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending