The Student Room Group

vet nursing

Scroll to see replies

Wow! Reading all of your threads seems like like I have an awful long way to go. I have just made up my mind (at 27 years old) that I want to be a Vet nurse!

Can anyone give me some advice of how to get into a practice? I am currently looking at 2 courses one being a foundation degree and the other being a level 3 qualification from Bicton college. Both require you to have a paid placement and at least 4 weeks work experience within a practice.

How did you all go about this? I have emailed a few practices however feel I shouldn't ring as I might block an emergency call!?!

I cant tell you how much some advice would mean to me! I am confused/panicked .com.

Thank you in advance

Viccy (Dartmoor, Devon)

p.s Good luck all of you on your interviews I am sure you will smash it! Just remember to breathe stay calm, and they have asked you to come for an interview because they have seen something that they want in you! So go and nail it! xxx
Original post by vscoobs22
Wow! Reading all of your threads seems like like I have an awful long way to go. I have just made up my mind (at 27 years old) that I want to be a Vet nurse!

Can anyone give me some advice of how to get into a practice? I am currently looking at 2 courses one being a foundation degree and the other being a level 3 qualification from Bicton college. Both require you to have a paid placement and at least 4 weeks work experience within a practice.

How did you all go about this? I have emailed a few practices however feel I shouldn't ring as I might block an emergency call!?!

I cant tell you how much some advice would mean to me! I am confused/panicked .com.

Thank you in advance

Viccy (Dartmoor, Devon)

p.s Good luck all of you on your interviews I am sure you will smash it! Just remember to breathe stay calm, and they have asked you to come for an interview because they have seen something that they want in you! So go and nail it! xxx

I'm not sure about paid placement, but for my work experience I did ring and ask if they take on students looking for work experience and then I met with the practice manager. Most practices are happy to take you on as it means less cleaning for them!
Try to get as much work experience as possible- kennels, stables etc.

I wish you the best! x
Thank you for your quick response. Ok so maybe I will attack the phone book after all!

I already have experience with different things, e.g. I work/Live on a farm, ran my own pet care business for 3 years, worked for 7 years at kennel, have owned and helped out local stables (new venture). Have taken a few courses in canine science, nutrition etc? Does this stuff help? Recently apart from working the farm (which is home with my partner) I haven't done much relating with 'working' with animals. I have been cleaning in a hotel for the past 3 years (oh god!)
Did you find it hard to find a practice to meet with you and then take you on?

Thank you :0)

So nice to actaully get answers and sound advise I really appreciate it xx
Original post by cathaas96
Middlesex interview yesterday was so relaxed, the applicants spoke to each other in a friendly manner which was lovely considering I'm bad around new people. The written task was a bit confusing, I won't give it away but it wasn't great... although they gave you as long as you liked to write it. The interviewer was very friendly. Group discussion was a big worry for me but it was fine. You don't get asked anything you wouldn't expect, and everyone gets ananswer to each question.
pretty happy with it.
Middlesex was going to be my insurance choice, but with the 3 years you don't get a summer break, only Christmas and easter, and I'd rather not do that and take a 4 year course instead.

Thank you so much! Hopefully I have a different written task then, I wish you the best of luck with getting an offer and all sorts aha x What did you wear if you dont mind me asking. Thank you again!
Thank you for your quick response. Ok so maybe I will attack the phone book after all!

I already have experience with different things, e.g. I work/Live on a farm, ran my own pet care business for 3 years, worked for 7 years at kennel, have owned and helped out local stables (new venture). Have taken a few courses in canine science, nutrition etc? Does this stuff help? Recently apart from working the farm (which is home with my partner) I haven't done much relating with 'working' with animals. I have been cleaning in a hotel for the past 3 years (oh god!)
Did you find it hard to find a practice to meet with you and then take you on?

Thank you :0)

So nice to actaully get answers and sound advise I really appreciate it xx

Wow that's plenty and it will definitely help! (Some places like work experience to be in the last two years so look out for that) But the main thing now is vet practice experience, it's just so you have an idea of what to expect when becoming a vet like the tasks they do etc.
Yes I did, i had emailed many places, gone in and handed in letters etc but most places just ignored me! I finally got up the nerve to phone a practice up and ask about it then I contacted the practice manager asking if i could come in to meet about work experience to which she agreed. Just remember it doesn't hurt to try!

Best of luck! x
Reply 185
Has anyone had any interviews from Nottingham Trent? I've got an interview there in a few days and was just wondering what it was like?
Thank you so much. So nice to talk to someone who has been there and done it. Ok so will start annoying all the vet practices within radius of where I am first. I'm pretty sure even though I have two meetings lined up with a college and university I am too late to apply for this year so hopefully by next year I will have everything they are looking for.

Thank you again. I hope your courses and Interviews go well.

Good luck for the future

viccy xx

Thank you in advance

Viccy (Dartmoor, Devon)

Hey, email as many practices as you can! You can ring and ask if they offer work experience and then they may ask you to email your details or pop into the practice so you wouldn't be on the phone for that long:-)

With regards to a paid placement, it might be worth getting a saturday/sunday shift somewhere other than a practice so you're broadening the type and amount of work experience you have! Other work experience (paid or not) would benefit your application too - both small animal and large:-)

Hope this helped! Best of luck xxx
Thank you Beth that is a great start. That is what I was worried about I didn't want to take up too much time on the phone so that quick simple question is all I need to know I guess.
I have a list of practices in front of me that I am about to pester! :0)

I have only mentioned the paid aspect as the courses I have been looking at, have specified that to do the course you must have a vet practices backing with paid work not voluntary for at least 2 days a week.

Thank you I might need all the luck I can get! xx
Original post by f_j_k
Has anyone had any interviews from Nottingham Trent? I've got an interview there in a few days and was just wondering what it was like?

I've got one Saturday too :biggrin: also wondering the same thing. Really don't know how to prepare for the practical, is it meant to be a test of knowledge or general skills like following instructions? After my RVC interview disaster I want to get it right this time :s-smilie:
Original post by Sopheen
I've got one Saturday too :biggrin: also wondering the same thing. Really don't know how to prepare for the practical, is it meant to be a test of knowledge or general skills like following instructions? After my RVC interview disaster I want to get it right this time :s-smilie:

The Trent practical is to see what you learnt on placement, I don't know whether they will use the same one as they did in December but don't worry too much! Other than that its a written task and drug dosage :smile:
Original post by beth16x
The Trent practical is to see what you learnt on placement, I don't know whether they will use the same one as they did in December but don't worry too much! Other than that its a written task and drug dosage :smile:

Thanks that helps a lot :smile:
Trent Saturday, Hartpury on Wednesday then I'm done! Waiting for responses is going to kill me slowly haha
I have one at the rvc on the 19th February, they just emailed me. Did you have any recommendations for preparation, and do you know if they having parking facilities?
Hi guys!
Well done on all of your interviews, hope everything went well!
I've got two interviews so far since I sent my application off on the 5th,
One for west anglia on 28th of feb and one for Hartpury on the 25th of march!
Has anyone already been to an interview in hartpury and done the presentation? if so pleeease let me know how it went! I have replied to the invite saying that i'm going but I have been sooo put off by this as I find that so scary! both of these unis are my 5th and 4th choice. I have only had a confirmation e-mail from Middlesex which i'm feeling so disheartened by, but keep telling myself that they have ages to reply!!
Hope you're all well
x
Reply 194
Original post by Sopheen

This is only my second interview so I've not done anything with practicals in it yet! I heard that the RVC interview was awful! Hopefully NTU won't be as bad
Hi everyone hope you are all well

I have done three of my interviews and thought I would give you a little run down to help with any nerves.
My first was at Middlesex, this was really relaxed. There were only five of us and we went on a campus tour and had a little talk about the course. Then we had to do a writing task. I won't say what they were but the questions were a little odd. It is ok though because you have as much time as you need and lots of space to write and I think you can ask for paper if you want to make a plan so read the question a few times and think about what you want to say. Then they should get back to you in a couple weeks (I got an offer today (: )

Next was RVC, I think I found this the strangest and was hardest to judge how I did. There were a lot more of us but my group did the stations first. There are 6 each looking at something different and you have 5 mins at each. I didn't think this was a lot of time and the things we were asked to do were things I felt like you would be taught to do at uni. Anyway ... Then there was the group discussion however I don't think my group did it well and the observer seemed a bit off, that is just my opinion. They will not get back to you until end of March!

Last was Harper Adams, this was probably the most technical and so far my only One-on-One. Again we went on a campus tour and then had the interviews. They will ask you the usually questions like why Harper? and why a vet nurse? They then asked some technical questions but stuff you should have learnt from school as well as general questions about you. Just try and be relaxed as well as happy and open. There was also a short written task about work xp. They also will not get back until March.

And that is it for now, I have my last interview Feb 20th for Napier so will keep you updated. :smile:
This is a question to all those currently going through the application / interview process.What qualifications do you hold that has got you to your current stage of getting interviews and being offered places. I'm a hopeful in a couple of years and would just like an idea of any improvements I could be making in the meantime.

Thanks for any input and best of luck in your future careers.

Lucy
(edited 9 years ago)
Has anyone had an interview for Askham Bryan?

I have one tomorrow morning and I'm quite apprehensive as I believe there is a practical task and I have no idea what to expect/what to wear etc :frown:
Original post by muffin69
This is a question to all those currently going through the application / interview process.What qualifications do you hold that has got you to your current stage of getting interviews and being offered places. I'm a hopeful in a couple of years and would just like an idea of any improvements I could be making in the meantime.

Thanks for any input and best of luck in your future careers.

Lucy

Hey, I think the most common are either A-Levels to include Biology at C/B or Level 3 Animal Management, but I'm sure there are others you could do; Uni/College websites will tell you what they accept! GCSEs (Science, English, Maths at a C) too, and then work experience (although not a qualification) is important, especially in a vet practice; most institutions want you to spent a minimum of 2 weeks here and ideally other places! Taking up hobbies is good too, animal related or not :smile:
Original post by beth16x
Hey, I think the most common are either A-Levels to include Biology at C/B or Level 3 Animal Management, but I'm sure there are others you could do; Uni/College websites will tell you what they accept! GCSEs (Science, English, Maths at a C) too, and then work experience (although not a qualification) is important, especially in a vet practice; most institutions want you to spent a minimum of 2 weeks here and ideally other places! Taking up hobbies is good too, animal related or not :smile:

That's great Beth, cheers for that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending