The Student Room Group

31% of males would rape if no consequences, study reveals. Men is this you?

Poll

Would you rape if there were no consequences?!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarren/a-third-of-male-students-in-a-new-study-say-theyd-rape-a-wom

:tongue:

I know it's a buzzfeed article but the study is real. While the sample size may be indeed low I think it still holds true in most cases. Imagine if you could rob a bank and get away with it, would you? Most people would say yes. Rape may be more heinous in the eyes of some people however I think the results are the same because people want things they can't have sometimes.

I'll put a poll up to see if any guys would rape if they could get away with it to see if this holds true on TSR. When you are answering the poll don't think about the victim just think about you. And also remember it doesn't have to be violent or bloody. Girls can partake in the poll too. I'm sure that will be interesting.

Share your thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

100% No.
Reply 2
probably not but never say never :smile:
I can't imagine any case of rape where there would be "no consequences", though I suppose this really means "no punishment".
Reply 4
Original post by Roving Fish
100% No.

Really? 100%? What if the girl was super cute? How can you be so sure?
I would not but I'm of the belief that the majority of people are not above their base instincts and would or otherwise make contact e.g. grope (I would probably grope since I am highly impulsive)
Robbing a bank and rape are not even comparable. A bank robbery is arguably a victimless crime, I don't think anyone could argue the same about rape.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Robbing a bank and rape are not even comparable. A bank robbery is arguably a victimless crime, I don't think anyone could argue the same about rape.

Robbing a bank isn't victimless at all.

You realise that money belongs to someone, right?
I am amazed by this poll. At the moment it is a 50/50 split for males, why anyone would want to rape someone is beyond me.

I'm a 100% no

Robbing a bank on the other hand, maybe
Reply 9
Original post by VladThe1mpaler

Again that's beyond the point of this thread and indeed the study's hypothesis as well. This is why it's imperative to think about this scenario as having no consequences this includes the victim's temperament after the, err, attack.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I would not but I'm of the belief that the majority of people are not above their base instincts and would or otherwise make contact e.g. grope (I would probably grope since I am highly impulsive)

Interesting responses when you put it like that I wonder if Roving Fish would still be 100% against groping as well?
Original post by BitWindy
Robbing a bank isn't victimless at all.

You realise that money belongs to someone, right?

Lol, it belongs to the bank as a whole, which might even have insurance. When you rob a bank, some random person doesn't mysteriously lose his life savings from his account. :rolleyes:
Original post by Master Jack

I know it's a buzzfeed article but the study is real. While the sample size may be indeed low I think it still holds true in most cases. Imagine if you could rob a bank and get away with it, would you? Most people would say yes. Rape may be more heinous in the eyes of some people however I think the results are the same because people want things they can't have sometimes.

What does this even mean? The study is bull****, the sample size is EIGHTY SIX, of men from one university who got some extra credit to do a stupid survey. Just people even spreading this is irritating.
Original post by Master Jack
Really? 100%? What if the girl was super cute? How can you be so sure?

Could be sure of that because I'm gay. :lol:
Original post by Viva Emptiness
What does this even mean? The study is bull****, the sample size is EIGHTY SIX, of men from one university who got some extra credit to do a stupid survey. Just people even spreading this is irritating.

I don't think that makes the study bull****. A lot of work important work was initially done with sample sizes lower than that.
One hundred percent no
Original post by SmashConcept
I don't think that makes the study bull****. A lot of work important work was initially done with sample sizes lower than that.

Of course it makes it bull****, especially if you want to claim "1 in 3 university men would rape a woman if there were no consequences". If you want to publish a proper study, then do so, but to survey a bunch of college guys for extra credit, who lets face it probably aren't taking it THAT seriously, and then pan the whole of the college population is outrageous.
Ridiculously small sample size that most likely comprised of 4Chan /b users.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Of course it makes it bull****, especially if you want to claim "1 in 3 university men would rape a woman if there were no consequences". If you want to publish a proper study, then do so, but to survey a bunch of college guys for extra credit, who lets face it probably aren't taking it THAT seriously, and then pan the whole of the college population is outrageous.

I don't really care about people making bad extrapolations from the study. I care about your assertion, which was that the study itself was bull****. Also, how do you think participants are usually selected for studies in general. It is pretty common for them to be 1. in the vicinity of a research institution and 2. compensated for their time. If every study that recruited students by offering extra credit were bull****, science would have to take quite a few steps back.
First I thought the study must be bull****, but then I've read the original post where OP thinks taking less than 0.001% of bank's money is about as bad to the bank as raping is bad to the girl..... yeah I guess its true, people can be that stupid and gross...
Reply 19
Sexual abuse and rape are never never never ever justified.
Any person who says that they would rape is a dangerous *******.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending