The Student Room Group

how not to get insecure abut having done an inferior degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
ah :smile: by 'nope' I meant 'you are right, that does not make you part of general society; however' [see previous post]

Oh, then I recant the slightly ranty part of my post, I didn't realise you meant that:smile:
People just love boasting and putting over people down, that's what it basically is. Pretty sad to be honest.
then why did Groot make this argument as a pure hypothetical; she must have experienced it no :s-smilie:

yeah my support worker tried to epxlain this but I do think it's possible for 2 people to identically meet all controllable variables and then 1 having 1 slightly better controllable variable. If we forget uncontrollable variables such as e.g. height then yes the hypothesis remains valid

No, people say all manner of things on the internet. It doesn't make it true.

But those uncontrollable variables are what makes two guys different anyway. Just because they're out of his control doesn't mean they don't exist.
Original post by infairverona
What's the point being insecure about it? You chose to do that degree at whichever institution you attended. If your degree doesn't prove to be particularly useful and you find yourself lacking employment in that field, pick something else that doesn't require a degree you don't have and work towards that instead. Nothing gained in feeling insecure/moaning about it when you've already done the thing.[/QUOTE]

but there is something to be gained from asking if X thing is inferior and you have to 'get over it' because it was useless all along-people keep beating around the bush, like my ****ing counsellor who is paid to prevent me sinking into depression

so I ask in advance, if X thing is useless, and X thing makes me inferior and I've been fed a lie that 'everyone is equal' etc. because I spend an awful amount of time in therapy with people trying to tell me 'everyone is equal everyone deserves love' when it is clearly not how the world works
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
No, people say all manner of things on the internet. It doesn't make it true.

But those uncontrollable variables are what makes two guys different anyway. Just because they're out of his control doesn't mean they don't exist.

Groot is not a known troll, she inhabits the Religion forum, so I'm pretty sure her view of representative of a fair few people, not designed to be inflammatory

ah yes, but people are in general more tolerant towards uncontrollable variables; although the '70% of women don't date men under 6ft' thread was enlightening
Original post by Dilzo999
People just love boasting and putting over people down, that's what it basically is. Pretty sad to be honest.

well perhaps they should be more subtle but if something genuinely makes someone better/more useful/more successful/more attractive etc., then we should just tell them outright, not sugar-coat it for the sake of their precious feelings
So because I'm not doing a STEM subject at a top uni my career will effectively amount to nothing...lol
Original post by RandomStudentGuy
So because I'm not doing a STEM subject at a top uni my career will effectively amount to nothing...lol

I'm not saying it definitely will not, I am asking the forum if they believe it to be true and why. Then I will think about getting over it
well perhaps they should be more subtle but if something genuinely makes someone better/more useful/more successful/more attractive etc., then we should just tell them outright, not sugar-coat it for the sake of their precious feelings

But that more so becomes arrogance, and stuff like beauty, success and "more useful" isn't easily quantifiable for instance people have different views on success. Art degrees are useful, and so are STEM degrees, which ever you choose you shouldn't do it because one gets you the better job, you do it because you ****ing enjoy it.
Original post by Dilzo999
But that more so becomes arrogance, and stuff like beauty, success and "more useful" isn't easily quantifiable for instance people have different views on success. Art degrees are useful, and so are STEM degrees, which ever you choose you shouldn't do it because one gets you the better job, you do it because you ****ing enjoy it.

people have generally homogeneous views on beauty, use and success and choosing something because you enjoy it leads to a path of hedonism
I'm not saying it definitely will not, I am asking the forum if they believe it to be true and why. Then I will think about getting over it

I don't know what you mean by that; I'm not an expert on the job market but I would imagine that unless you've got a very low grade from a bottom-ranked uni you'd still be a cut above those who don't bother with uni at all
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't know what you mean by that; I'm not expert on the job market but I would imagine that unless you've got a very low grade from a bottom-ranked uni you'd still be a cut above those who don't bother with uni at all

well yes obviously, NEETS would be the first to get shot on the desert island for resources
Groot is not a known troll, she inhabits the Religion forum, so I'm pretty sure her view of representative of a fair few people, not designed to be inflammatory

ah yes, but people are in general more tolerant towards uncontrollable variables; although the '70% of women don't date men under 6ft' thread was enlightening

I didn't say she was a troll but people say all manners of things which might not necessarily be true.

Tolerance is irrelevant to this. Uncontrollable differences are still differences which means no two men are exactly the same. Again, that statistic is obviously not true.
I chose my humanities degree because that's what I wanted to study. Initially I wanted a relevant career but now I'm coming out of the other end of my degree, I wouldn't pass over the opportunity but it's no longer my only aim. I have a rough idea of where I want to go in my career/academic path. Even if I didn't, I would know that my degree is going to get me into my first job, and from then on my work would depend on the past experiences I've had.
I have friends who have studied various aspects of the sciences and they don't look down on me... because it doesn't matter. It's 3 years of your life and a piece of paper. What matters after graduation is work, and what your job is only matters to you.
Unfortunately when I come onto TSR I end up seeing posts about how I'm practically the scum of the earth because I decided against my past dream of astrophysics and have taken up humanities and arts instead. Well, that was my choice, and again it doesn't matter to anyone but me. I don't regret my choice of degree, but I know there are crap people who want to make me regret it. It's a bit pathetic that they feel the need to suck their own egotistical dong by trying to offend me.
So I suppose this comes to your question of how not to get insecure. Keep in mind that your degree, as big as it is at the time of doing it, is not the only thing in your life, it doesn't REALLY matter that much. Ignore people when they try to offend you. That's it.
well yes obviously, NEETS would be the first to get shot on the desert island for resources

I guess I'm trying to say that there's much less of a chance of getting stuck in some awful dead-end retail or office job; from working part-time in a supermarket I know I have no intention of settling for something like that in the future
Original post by SophieSmall
My post had nothing to do with stem, wtf get a grip.

so, what is your opinion on the STEM v non-STEM debate?
I don't know what you mean by that; I'm not an expert on the job market but I would imagine that unless you've got a very low grade from a bottom-ranked uni you'd still be a cut above those who don't bother with uni at all

Again another common TSR misconception.

It's better regarded to not have gone to uni at all than to have gone to a very low ranked uni coming out with a 3rd or worse. Reason being during the time you were faffing about in uni, you could have been getting real life experience and working. Which is much more beneficial in this current climate of simply churning out graduates with no experience.
Original post by sliceofcake
I chose my humanities degree because that's what I wanted to study. Initially I wanted a relevant career but now I'm coming out of the other end of my degree, I wouldn't pass over the opportunity but it's no longer my only aim. I have a rough idea of where I want to go in my career/academic path. Even if I didn't, I would know that my degree is going to get me into my first job, and from then on my work would depend on the past experiences I've had.
I have friends who have studied various aspects of the sciences and they don't look down on me... because it doesn't matter. It's 3 years of your life and a piece of paper. What matters after graduation is work, and what your job is only matters to you.
Unfortunately when I come onto TSR I end up seeing posts about how I'm practically the scum of the earth because I decided against my past dream of astrophysics and have taken up humanities and arts instead. Well, that was my choice, and again it doesn't matter to anyone but me. I don't regret my choice of degree, but I know there are crap people who want to make me regret it. It's a bit pathetic that they feel the need to suck their own egotistical dong by trying to offend me.
So I suppose this comes to your question of how not to get insecure. Keep in mind that your degree, as big as it is at the time of doing it, is not the only thing in your life, it doesn't REALLY matter that much. Ignore people when they try to offend you. That's it.

that's fair enough, a good attitude to take, but would you understand if people considered it a deal-breaker, or you didn't get a job as a result, etc.? Or would it get you annoyed at 'the system'?

edit: So is this STEM master race thing mostly a TSR thing? I wouldn't know, my uni experience was…sheltered
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Again another common TSR misconception.

It's better regarded to not have gone to uni at all than to have gone to a very low ranked uni coming out with a 3rd or worse. Reason being during the time you were faffing about in uni, you could have been getting real life experience and working. Which is much more beneficial in this current climate of simply churning out graduates with no experience.

hence NEETs would be the first t go, not necessarily those in employment early
so, what is your opinion on the STEM v non-STEM debate?

I don't have one because it is a pathetic debate. Get the **** over it. You seriously are the most insufferable person I have ever had the misfortune of speaking to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending