The Student Room Group

Pope Francis: Free expression doesn't mean right to insult others' faith

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/14/asia/philippines-pope-francis-visit/

Weighing in on last week's terror in France and the debate over freedom of expression it stirred, Pope Francis said en route to the Philippines that killing "in the name of God" is wrong, but it is also wrong to "provoke" people by belittling their religion.

If a friend "says a swear word against my mother, then a punch awaits him," Francis said. Vatican Radio reported that he then "gestured with a pretend punch" directed at the friend, Alberto Gasbarri -- an action that many journalists interpreted as a joke. Vatican spokesman Thomas Rosica later told CNN the remark was "spoken colloquially," adding the Pope wasn't advocating violence or in any way justifying the terror attacks.

Right after the punch gesture, Francis said, "It's normal, it's normal.

"One cannot provoke, one cannot insult other people's faith, one cannot make fun of faith."

Scroll to see replies

Typical. The Catholic Church, for hundreds and hundreds of years, used violence against people simply for what they thought, or who they loved. Now that we have booted them out of public life and purged our laws of the theocratic virus, they insist on still lecturing us about what is moral, and what is acceptable.

To be lectured about what is okay for me to think and say by the head of an organisation that has contributed to the millions of deaths from HIV in Africa by telling people that condoms cause AIDS is beyond a joke.
Well I can't say I'm surprised by his comment, but I still disagree. Ideologies cannot be exempt from criticism.
Oh look, an ridiculous and incorrect opinion coming from an outdated and oppressive establishment. What're the odds?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Well I can't say I'm surprised by his comment, but I still disagree. Ideologies cannot be exempt from criticism.

It reminds me of when Christopher Hitchens pointed out that the Archbishop of Canterbury had voiced some support for the idea that Salman Rushdie should not have written his works. Ultimately, these theists often have more in common with one another across the Christianity/Islam divide than they do with secularists and humanists

This does raise big question marks about Pope Francis' so-called liberal credentials.
No, Frank, it does. Any idea or belief is fair game. If you choose to believe something, I can choose to criticize it, no matter how 'belittled' it may make you feel.
oh boy, a religious fanatic being a religious fanatic. surprising.
I've said it once and I'll say it again- feel free to question other people's beliefs but don't treat the people liks their stupid for believing it. It doesn't achieve bugger all; even if your trying to change their beliefs, insulting the person is likely to just keep them set in their ways.
If you can get offended by this, then you're faith obviously isn't very good.
Original post by Snagprophet
If you can get offended by this, then you're faith obviously isn't very good.

I'm interested why some people think this. Just to clarify do you mean:

(a) their belief itself isn't good if they do not take offense well.

Or

(b) they have little confidence in their beliefs if they take offense badly

And also why if either do you feel that is that case.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

Just to clarify, I don't think Pope Francis would disagree with you here. He does believe that freedom of expression shouldn't be abused to insult people.
Reply 11
He did say that he condemned it, what happened to so called freedom of speech about his opinion.
Original post by mkap
He did say that he condemned it, what happened to so called freedom of speech about his opinion.

Nothing? The Pope hasn't been shot. He hasn't been attacked, and he's perfectly fine.

Now people on this forum are exercising their freedom of speech to point what a ridiculous position he is defending.

Freedom of speech is alive and well.
Agree with him 100%.
I kind of the agree with the Pope. Freedom of speech is a fundamental right and no one should be killed for their opinions but there has to be a limit. I'm not Muslim but I think the Prophet Muhammed cartoon was a bit too far but I believe newspapers have every right to display their opinions on anything.
Reply 15
It is, perhaps, decent of someone if they don't offend people at all, but this is, in reality, extremely difficult to do. Everybody should certainly have the right to offend others, though: that is an incontestable right.

I'd understand where the "Pope" is coming from if he were simply saying that it's a decent thing to do not to offend people for minimal benefit to oneself, but what he's essentially saying is that "faith" - holding an arbitrary belief on the basis of no evidence whatsoever - should be immune to mockery and criticism. I don't see any rational justification for this: it should be treated, more or less, like political beliefs and other views unless everyone is willing to take care not to cause offence to people in all circumstances.
I am a Muslim and I agree with Pope. Charlie's comics are more like "Hate speech" or "Insult". It is not about freedom of speech.
However, it does not mean that they deserved to die.
Prophet Muhammed forgave people who stoned him. But innocent guys who pretended to be Muslims are killing people because of their faults

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gsaray1905
I am a Muslim and I agree with Pope. Charlie's comics are more like "Hate speech" or "Insult". It is not about freedom of speech.
However, it does not mean that they deserved to die.
Prophet Muhammed forgave people who stoned him. But innocent guys who pretended to be Muslims are killing people because of their faults

Posted from TSR Mobile

Charlie Hebdo's depiction of Muhammed is most certainly freedom of speech, as it comes under criticism of religion, something perfectly allowed.
It's true people are using free speech just to be hateful against Islam. But it's same with Christianity, what remains of it in Europe. Look at FEMEN, the George Soros financed Marxist feminists hookers. How do they get away with their crimes? if they did what they do to a synagogue and attacked rabbi's it would be a hate crime. Again this double standard of free speech when it comes to Jewish power and interests.
Original post by Harvey Dent
Oh look, an ridiculous and incorrect opinion coming from an outdated and oppressive establishment. What're the odds?

In what way exactly is the opinion ridiculous? I'm a Christian but believe that the drawing of muhammed was taking it too far. Also how is religion outdated, the only place its declining is Europe. Outside of Europe religion is increasing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending