The Student Room Group

MSci or BSC?

I'm in year 12 and I'm doing some research into what I want to do after college. I'm looking at doing some kind of sciency degree (not sure exactly what yet but something biology or chemistry based) but some of them are BSc, and others are a year longer than the BSc and are MSci. I get that MSci is like higher than a BSc, I read something about it being an undergraduate masters?, but what does that really mean? Like if, for example, I did a 4 year MSci would that mean I have a masters degree? Or is it just like an advanced BSc? I'm really confused and I can't find any website that explains it clearly :/
(edited 9 years ago)
An MSci is an integrated Master's course. It means you get a Bachelor's and a Master's degree, but the benefit is that Student Finance pays for the Master's degree (whereas if you just did a BSc you'd have to self-fund the MSc afterwards)
Original post by loperdoper
An MSci is an integrated Master's course. It means you get a Bachelor's and a Master's degree, but the benefit is that Student Finance pays for the Master's degree (whereas if you just did a BSc you'd have to self-fund the MSc afterwards)

Thank you so much! That answered my question exactly!
Reply 3
Original post by theperksofbeingnerdy
I'm in year 12 and I'm doing some research into what I want to do after college. I'm looking at doing some kind of sciency degree (not sure exactly what yet but something biology or chemistry based) but some of them are BSc, and others are a year longer than the BSc and are MSci. I get that MSci is like higher than a BSc, I read something about it being an undergraduate masters?, but what does that really mean? Like if, for example, I did a 4 year MSci would that mean I have a masters degree? Or is it just like an advanced BSc? I'm really confused and I can't find any website that explains it clearly :/

Original post by loperdoper

Partly correct but partly inaccurate

an Msci is NOT the same qualification as an Msc.
So does it consist of two parts? When you apply for work and received a first in your first three years and a 2:1 in your fourth year does that mean you have a first in bachelors and a 2:1 in masters or?

Quick Reply

Latest