The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

HI Portfolios for Central Saint Martins

Hey Guys!

Going to be applying for csm in 2 weeks BA Fashion design Womens wear / FD art design

Has anyone got any portfolios to have a look at :biggrin:

And also what questions do they ask you if/when you interview

Thank youuuuuu

Scroll to see replies

Hi

I am also applying to CSM for BA Womenswear and was wondering the same thing. Also, I have been attenting a secondary school for fashion design for the past 3 years and have plenty of projects, although my recent ones are the ones I'd like to present. The question is, do I present the project (my projects include everything from inspiration, sketches, research, to the final collection and technical detail with descriptions as well as fashion illustration and realisation of two products) in the ''mini portfolio'' and later, if I am so lucky, bring it to the portfolio review as well? I am thinking of bringing this project of mine which is an A3 format and farely thick as well as larger ilustrations accompanying it. Then a collection of life drawings, some relating to fashion, some not, some paintings ( should I bring scans or originals? ) and general sketches in the bigger B2 format. I know they like to see sketchbooks with your thoughts, inspiration, research etc., but I generally put all of that procces into my project as well so I think I'll bring a smaller sketchbook with my thoughts and little sketches, brainstorming.. Would that be ok?

Oh and I also found some mini portfolio samples on Flickr from previous applicants :biggrin:.
These two are for the Womenswear pathway: https://www.flickr.com/photos/118882944@N04/12816188575/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/116507413@N07/12480585993/
This one is for the print pathway: https://www.flickr.com/photos/116549144@N05/sets/72157640579192284/
and this one is for the knitwear pathway: https://www.flickr.com/photos/116726634@N04/12362966833/in/photostream/

I'm getting more and more nervous with the deadline approaching aaah.
(edited 9 years ago)
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey, I've applied to csm womenswear and also knitwear pathway. what other places have you guys applied to? I've applied to LCF womenswear and westminster...

I think regarding online portfolios you have to include everything you've stated above. Looking at all the Flickr accounts everyone has a mix of drawing research and 3d work, it's important to show samples as it shows you can convey your 2d designs into 3d. I don't think it would be a problem scanning drawings but I would personally bring in originals.
For interviews from what I've heard they talk to you about your work, favourite designers and also why you want to do the course and why you want to do it at that particular place.

I'm literally so nervous! I just want to know where I'll be next year haha
Yes exactly!! The thing is the drawings we do at life drawing class are pretty big and don't fit into my portfolio, so I'll probably have to bring another map and drag it all over London haha :biggrin:. I've applied to CSM and LCF, both for the Fashion Womenswear pathway, but I have so far only heard back from LCF on the mini portfolio submission, I hope CSM's email comes soon too!
Reply 4
Haha so true! I think I might just take pictures of my life drawings... Yeah me too, I hope csm reply soon, is your lcf submission date on Friday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HLx
Haha so true! I think I might just take pictures of my life drawings... Yeah me too, I hope csm reply soon, is your lcf submission date on Friday?

Postedfrom TSR Mobile

Yes me too! Yes it's on Friday, yours too?:smile:
Reply 6
Yeah literally just sent mine it was so scary x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HLx
Yeah literally just sent mine it was so scary x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know right! The wait for csm continues though:/ I don't think I've ever checked my email so frequentely my entire life haha :biggrin:
Reply 8
Haha me neither!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hiii

Oh it's getting closer!

I've heard back from all my universities now,

LCF think im more suited to a different course within. I applied for WW design tech, think I meant to apply for design...
Sent 2 portfolios too csm now eeeek

Anyone in fb? We could start a group this is hard to use from phone ha

Ben xx
Reply 10
Also thank you dream catcher! Lots of brill info there and the links help! I have made my online ports now :biggrin: x
Good luck and no problem! :smile: join this group of UAL Applicants and we can talk there :smile: you should also download the Student Room app if you haven't yet it's much easier to use

https://www.facebook.com/groups/841222779253527/
Reply 12
Brill I'll down load it now!

Still waiting for the group to accept me ☺️
Reply 13
im already on my 2nd year CSM BA womenswear, know quite a few people from MA fashion, the course is amazing
Reply 14
Anyone got a csm knit portfolio review tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by HLx
Anyone got a csm knit portfolio review tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, did you get asked to stay behind for an interview?
Reply 16
No I didn't, did you? I have a womenswear one now for which I hope to make an impression...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by HLx
No I didn't, did you? I have a womenswear one now for which I hope to make an impression...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww sorry to hear :frown: Atleast you have one for womenswear! that's far more competitive, but I'm sure you'll do fine :smile: Yeah I did, they were really lovely and it felt really fast as you could only talk about one thing. Shocked I made the shortlist tbh :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Yeah in fairness, I didn't have any knit so they were right to send me away... I hope you do well! If csm doesn't happen I'm probably going to have to pick between Westminster or lcf but I really don't know which one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by HLx
Yeah in fairness, I didn't have any knit so they were right to send me away... I hope you do well! If csm doesn't happen I'm probably going to have to pick between Westminster or lcf but I really don't know which one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww thanks you too! Don't give up just believe in yourself :smile: You got into Westminster? that's another amazing place to study, you should be so proud! I didn't get into Westminster, mostly because my portfolio was awful at the time and my interview was just as bad lol...

Quick Reply