The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Yes, but then I wonder why the term is used in a derogatory manner amongst modern Muslims....

They associate it with the opinions and views held and propagated in Saudi Arabia.........although there are huge differences and even among themselves.

People just group the lot together, despite the fact they are not a single group and do not share the same opinions.

In fact, the founders of the four schools of thought, are from the third generation and are called Salaf's themselves.
Yes, that's what I meant. "Salafi" is just another word for "Sunni" then.

well someone just told me before a sufi was a sunni, so are salafi sufi both sunnis?
Someone once asked me about Salafi and I answered as follows.

(VM/PM me if you have a comment as I do not wish to debate this here)

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, that's what I meant. "Salafi" is just another word for "Sunni" then.

Linguistically, sort of. In reality, 'as-Salafiyyah' is a very modern movement and there are different groups that cling onto this label. They even consider their opponents as kuffar. Take the 'Salafi Jihadis' for example, they consider the followers of 'Madkhali Salafism' to be heretics, their rulers to be apostate and some of their scholars as kuffar. In fact, both the Jihadi and Madkhali movement hijacked the group 'As-Salafiyyah' from Muhammad Abduh who was the first person to come up with this title and is known for his liberal views. So what you have here are essentially three different ideologies all flying the banner of Salafiyyah.
Original post by gen. AIDEED
well someone just told me before a sufi was a sunni, so are salafi sufi both sunnis?

Just ignore all the titles and go by:
following the predecessors (salaf) eg Umar, ABubakar, Uthman, Ali, imam shafi'i..etc= salafi
Original post by Al-farhan
Just ignore all the titles and go by:
following the predecessors (salaf) eg Umar, ABubakar, Uthman, Ali, imam shafi'i..etc= salafi

so everyones a salafi? then whats a sunni?

One who follows in the sunnah (path) of the prophet and his companions and the rightly guided salaf.
Vast majority of muslims are sunni.

Sunni have their own Hadith books (which are not necessarily followed by Shia).
Ok lets change the record on this issue on the isoc.
What is today's topic?
One who follows in the sunnah (path) of the prophet and his companions and the rightly guided salaf.
Vast majority of muslims are sunni.

wait a second you are confusing me,

a salafi is someone who follows the rightly guided salaf

and the vast majority of muslims are sunni

so only a small amount of muslims are salafi?
Original post by Tennumbers
m8. I don't do diet stuff. As if. :mmm: But sure I'll pay for it :ahee:

Ah thanks :biggrin:

p.s Sorry for late reply Maria
Original post by Ankabout
Sunni have their own Hadith books (which are not necessarily followed by Shia).

do salafi follow the sunni hadith books?
do salafi follow the sunni hadith books?

Yes they do.
What is today's topic?

Agree
I don't know but you could choose for now
Yes they do.

do salafis not follow their own hadith books?
Original post by ImNotMe
x

Never knew that you were a Muslim.
What is today's topic?

We don't have one.
do salafis not follow their own hadith books?

Lol, Salafis and Sunni follow the same Hadith books. The difference is that Salafi claim to reject all kinds of innovation (Bidah) while Sunni might not (e.g. some Sunnis celebrate the birthday of Muhammad pbuh which might be considered Bidah).
Lol, Salafis and Sunni follow the same Hadith books. The difference is that Salafi claim to reject all kinds of innovation (Bidah) while Sunni might not (e.g. some Sunnis celebrate the birthday of Muhammad pbuh which might be considered Bidah).

I'd say the main difference between Salafis and Sunnis is their Aqeedah. The majority of Sunnis are Ashari, the Salafis are obviously not.
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
I'd say the main difference between Salafis and Sunnis is their Aqeedah. The majority of Sunnis are Ashari, the Salafis are obviously not.

I don't know what Ashari is. :confused: Please explain.

Latest

Trending

Trending