The Student Room Group

Those Fat Disabled Scroungers.

Poll

Can you be fat & disabled?

For the last week the tabloids have been on full assault against the disabled in our society again. This time they are trying to brand every disabled person as a lazy fat individual who makes poor life choices.

It couldn't be more evident that this is the case. The media are on their yearly exercise article boom which begins the 1st week after new years day. And while well to do folk are heading to the GYM everyone needs something to talk about to be the ice breaker of the day. And its those F-word scroungers again.

And if you don't know what article I am talking about when it comes to pitiful disabed hatred class war it is this one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2909810/We-d-fat-benefits-working-Mother-daughter-weigh-total-43-STONE-boast-matching-mobility-scooters-receive-34-000-year-handouts.html

So the media really have no shame.

The sad thing is this. There are disabled people out there who have tried numerous times to find work and have been unsuccessful and some of these people have been looking for work for 10 to 20 years with no success. This isn't because they are lazy. It is because they are seen as the worst candidate for the job.

I know this as a fact because I've had to sell myself cheap numerous times. Its also a reason why most disabled proffesionals have to study 3-4 times harder than anyone else just to get a mundane job. Once disabled people are short listed against able bodied people with the same skill set they have little chance of being selected.

The results of their health will be obvious. Weight gain, depression and low self esteem. If you are kicked in the face enough times you will develop mental health problems. Man needs work and a wage to be healthy. This is where the Neo Liberalism of the last 40 years doesn't work for disabled people.

But the sad thing is 95% of people will end up taking this class war propaganda on board.

I hear it everyday. Soon as someone finds out I have verbal communication problems they say something along the line of:

"Oh". "Well I just don't like those kind of feckless people who claim loads off the state".

I then say: Do you mean those people who claim they are disabled? They respond:

"Yes that is them"."Claiming obscene amounts of money"."Worthless people".

The venom always comes out. People aren't ashamed. They feel the disabled are the scum of the Earth.

But this is why?

£1355 per month benefits for Amber 25 for her children.
£1440 per month benefits for Janice 44 who is Ambers mother.

They look at the amount of money the disabled get to manage their conditions and they compare it to their wage packets. The only things that they don't compare is their health vs a disabled persons health.

A disabled person spend a huge amount of money on carer services because care services are not avalible anymore on the NHS. And its not cheap. For a hours worth of care it is something along the lines for £15 a hour. So if someone gets £105 extra welfare a week bare in mind that is their Care budget. 7 Hours a week. 1 hour per day.

This country is turning into a state where people believe and encourage the weak to die. They don;t care about the sick, the dieing, the disabled. They only care about themselves and will blame all their woes on weaker people.

Scroll to see replies

I think it is wrong some people , like in the dailymail article, have the choice to live on benefits.

They are affecting people who really need benefits.

I also do not believe Labour have the solutions for these problems.
Original post by democracyforum
I think it is wrong some people , like in the dailymail article, have the choice to live on benefits.

They are affecting people who really need benefits.

I also do not believe Labour have the solutions for these problems.

Tell you what. How about you take a Jack Hammer and totally destroy your legs. Then after 10 years put on weight because you cannot exercise since all the excess carbs & sugars turn into fat.

Then I'll get on a podium and preach down to you.

Its your fault that your fat!
Its your fault that your disabled.
How dare you blame it on your Boss who forced you to work all those hours in un safe conditions.
I don't care if you have permanent damage to your bones. We need to cut the deficit.
I don't care if you can't walk!
Get to the GYM you lazy scrounger.
Reply 3
Original post by illegaltobepoor
So the media really have no shame.
Correct.

The newspapers and news web sites exist to sell advertising.

The best way to do so is be controversial and, whenever possible, invent stories or create social problems that generate stories.

That's it.

The Daily Wail with its perpetual preaching of hate is a great example of how successful this business model is.

If those numtpies in Paris had taken out the Daily Mail head office, there'd have been a bit more sympathy for them. Shooting cartoonists of a niche comic? Meh. Giving the Daily Hate a kicking? Good.

"Daily Mail? Now they really did deserve it."

Mind you, that really would have got the "Mossad are behind everything" loonies going. "Mossad finally wreak vengeance on Daily Mail for supporting Moseley's Fascists in the 1930s!"

Maybe that's why the Daily Fail like picking on disabled people - like all cowards and bullies, they assume disabled people can't fight back.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Being fat is not a disability, it's the equivalent of being an alcoholic.
I'm amazed illegal to be poor is attempting to defend these horrors. It's the pie eaters in the news article that are taking resources away from those who need it.
Original post by MatureStudent36
I'm amazed illegal to be poor is attempting to defend these horrors. It's the pie eaters in the news article that are taking resources away from those who need it.

You haven't read my post fully. I am trying to say that the media are putting fourth that all fat people are disabled by their own life choices. However that isn't the case. You can become fat from having a physical injury or suffering from mental illness. It can be a side effect. And now due to this EU ruling a lot of fat disabled people are going to be branded as lazy scroungers.
You haven't read my post fully. I am trying to say that the media are putting fourth that all fat people are disabled by their own life choices. However that isn't the case. You can become fat from having a physical injury or suffering from mental illness. It can be a side effect. And now due to this EU ruling a lot of fat disabled people are going to be branded as lazy scroungers.

Some fat people have become fat through injuries. Some fat people have don't become fat through injuries.

All fat people with injuries have their injuries compounded by carrying additional weight.
Reply 8
Tell you what. How about you take a Jack Hammer and totally destroy your legs.

Jack Hammer is a really tasty beer. I take your point though - it can totally go to your legs!

Try Nanny State if you're a bit of a lightweight.

Is being a one pint wonder your disability?
fat people can be "disabled" in a very strict sense, but they only have themselves to blame, and they shouldn't be able to claim from it either.
It is the bit that worries me

She was forced to argue her case for disability pay after a tribunal claimed if she wanted to work she could lose weight.
Ms Manzur won and now gets £620 Employment and Support Allowance and £320 Disability Living Allowance a month.

What hope do we have of getting the country back on its feet ending the benefits and entitlement culture amongst some With idiotic decisions like that?

To be fair, when you compare the proportion of 'disabled obese' to the proportion of obese who don't claim the gap will be pretty big so only a tiny minority will suffer.

Original post by MatureStudent36
It is the bit that worries me

She was forced to argue her case for disability pay after a tribunal claimed if she wanted to work she could lose weight.
Ms Manzur won and now gets £620 Employment and Support Allowance and £320 Disability Living Allowance a month.

What hope do we have of getting the country back on its feet ending the benefits and entitlement culture amongst some With idiotic decisions like that?

How in the hell does she get ~£200 pounds more than my parents for being a piggy (one mental illness, the other spinifidus).

The tribunal was absolutely correct. This simply strengthens my opinion that food vouchers are needed.
They could always get a job in a call center or office. They would still be sitting down all day.
SO OP can you confirm your point:

a) Not all fat* people on benefits are lazy?

b) Not all people on benefits are fat?

c) Not all fat people are lazy?

d) Not all thin people are hard-working?

e) Not all disabled people are fat?

f) All fat people deserve benefits?

g) All disabled people deserve benefits?

h) Not all disabled people are lazy?

I could go on :redface:

speaking as a mentally and to some extent physically disabled skinny guy on benefits

*here I refer to 'fat' as obesity, BMI over 25 or more importantly body fat%>25%
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Simes
Correct.

The newspapers and news web sites exist to sell advertising.

The best way to do so is be controversial and, whenever possible, invent stories or create social problems that generate stories.

That's it.

The Daily Wail with its perpetual preaching of hate is a great example of how successful this business model is.

If those numtpies in Paris had taken out the Daily Mail head office, there'd have been a bit more sympathy for them. Shooting cartoonists of a niche comic? Meh. Giving the Daily Hate a kicking? Good.

"Daily Mail? Now they really did deserve it."

Mind you, that really would have got the "Mossad are behind everything" loonies going. "Mossad finally wreak vengeance on Daily Mail for supporting Moseley's Fascists in the 1930s!"

Maybe that's why the Daily Fail like picking on disabled people - like all cowards and bullies, they assume disabled people can't fight back.

It's fairly self-explanatory, the Daily Mail is a xenophobic right-wing pro-Establishment paper which believes Britain has gone to **** since WWII; anyone who isn't WASP and active in the workforce if under 65 y/o is a parasite to them :rolleyes:
It is a slap in the face for hard working poor people who do ****ty jobs to pay taxes so these gluttons can sit in front of the telly putting more pies in their faces.
Original post by Harvey Dent
We should just take all the fatties on benefits and burn them for fuel.

that comment makes you sound like such a tosser

dyagetitcosyournamesharveydent :awesome:
NOWHERE does it say what their disabilities, and this article is suggesting that their weight is their disability.

Obesity is NOT a disability and these people make me feel sick. After all, thats what the article wants us to believe.

The daily Mail is one of the worst papers, up there with the Sun.
These people have become so fat they are disabled and pretty unable to work in their state so they will have to receive benefits, the article exaggerates how much they get by adding them together they don't actually get too much considering they are disabled and there are children to be raised.The solution to this is not to cut down on the benefits these people need to live off(which are a lot higher than most people due to being disabled) but to enrol them in a rigorous weight loss scheme at least to the point at which they can have surgery.

There are several reasons people can get overweight as pointed out due to mental health issues including depression, where food can become the only way to get through a day but also genes and metabolism play a lot into this-looking at the diet of both they don't seem to eat that much just really fatty foods so its hard to say it is that deliberate it is not like they are eating tonnes of fatty foods and consuming 7000 calories a day.
Trust ITBP to defend the indefensible yet again.

Ask yourself this question: what would Stalin do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending