The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Which York College?

Hey all,
Just wondering what York college you'd recommend, I know nothing about them.
I'd quite like a party college, (if there is one?) where everyone is quite relaxed and doesn't take life too seriously and are all really nice and friendly (:
I'm studying Philosophy if there is one close to the department, but I'm more concerned with atmosphere rather than convenience..
Thanks xxx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paarkerpenn
Hey all,
I'd quite like a party college, (if there is one?) where everyone is quite relaxed and doesn't take life too seriously and are all really nice and friendly (:
I'm studying Philosophy if there is one close to the department, but I'm more concerned with atmosphere rather than convenience..
Thanks xxx

Sorry you didn't get any answer,yet.I have no idea and I have nearly the same question and preferences.I am going to study Chemistry.
Hope we will get some answers:smile:Just wanted to raise the interest for your thread:cool:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Thanks... it's looking a bit desperate in all honesty haha,
Ahh is York your firm?
Thanks... it's looking a bit desperate in all honesty haha,
Ahh is York your firm?

Not decided,yet.Still waiting for some offers,but York is a valuable option:smile:
How about you?
Hey all,
Thanks xxx

What I'm told by my friend (who is at York) is that everybody hates Derwent (or whatever it's called... the one that looks and sounds like what I just wrote but may be a letter or two off) more than the other colleges.

Not sure about partying! :-)
Reply 5
Hey all,
Thanks xxx

Hey I'm studying Philosophy too yay! My friend went to Halifax, she said its quite sporty (and she loves sports) but people don't have to be super attached to their colleges like she had close friends from other colleges

Original post by Dreamer583
What I'm told by my friend (who is at York) is that everybody hates Derwent (or whatever it's called... the one that looks and sounds like what I just wrote but may be a letter or two off) more than the other colleges.

Everyone hates Derwent? That's the one I was gonna pick lol cos its really pretty and has a lot of music stuff going on :smile:

anyone getting en suite accomodation?
Haven't heard back from them so I don't want to get my hopes up but Derwent is the most appealing to me from my research so far
Reply 7
Seriously go for Vanbrugh, James or Derwent. All of the colleges not on main campus are much quieter and tend to miss out on the campus experience. Halifax is also a bit outside of campus and most people wish they hadn't chosen it. Vanbrugh, James and Derwent have much more involvement when it comes to sports, music and drama.
Original post by SimonYork
Seriously go for Vanbrugh, James or Derwent. All of the colleges not on main campus are much quieter and tend to miss out on the campus experience. Halifax is also a bit outside of campus and most people wish they hadn't chosen it. Vanbrugh, James and Derwent have much more involvement when it comes to sports, music and drama.

I like how petite Derwent is and probably more intimate too. Thanks for your comments. The only one I really object to right now is Langwith because it's far away from everything else
Reply 9
Derwent is actually the second biggest undergrad college. Also goodrick and Constantine are even further away than langwith!
Hey I am probably going to firm York to do biomed science , which college should I go for that close to the bio department? also I do like to party but like I like work hard then play hard if you yunno what I mean so parties and getting drunk all the time isnt really for me I want a balance ...but also Iwant to get involved in a hell load of societies too including hockey club, study and improve my german and maybe get involved in a drama club :s so like which is the best to go to for that and isn't far from bio ?
Original post by Quantum2123
Hey I am probably going to firm York to do biomed science , which college should I go for that close to the bio department? also I do like to party but like I like work hard then play hard if you yunno what I mean so parties and getting drunk all the time isnt really for me I want a balance ...but also Iwant to get involved in a hell load of societies too including hockey club, study and improve my german and maybe get involved in a drama club :s so like which is the best to go to for that and isn't far from bio ?

Alcuin and Derwent are probably closest to that department. I'm hopefully going to do a biosciences course too, in which I want to go to Derwent. James college is the party one, or so they say it is.
Hey! I have applied for law and my interview is on the 11th of February. If I were to get an offer, does anyone know which college would be most convenient to get to the law building? I really want en-suite accommodation too. I would definitely like to get involved with freshers week and everything but I am quite anxious about being put in halls where everybody is out drinking every single night. I guess I'll be able to have a look round when I go on the day. I'd like to join dancing societies and I'll probably be auditioning for the York cheerleaders.
Anyone else feeling totally unprepared with accommodation? Aargh! :')
Original post by melloxgal

Anyone else feeling totally unprepared with accommodation? Aargh! :')

Yes x100

I say go ask on the day of your interview. That way you'll be able to get a feel for the place too and see if that college is the place for you
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Yes x100

I say go ask on the day of your interview. That way you'll be able to get a feel for the place too and see if that college is the place for you

Yeah, that's what I'll do. On the email York sent me it said that we could go on tours and visit the colleges. I hope I find somewhere that suits me! :smile:
Depends how lazy you want to be and what you're studying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alcuin seems to be the most appropriate for chemists:smile:
I'm probably going to put York down as my insurance to do history but I'm also a little unsure about colleges.
Does anybody know which college has the most music (orchestras) and things like that. Or one that is close to Archeology?
Original post by Embolina
Does anybody know which college has the most music (orchestras) and things like that. Or one that is close to Archeology?

I believe that all the music stuff is university wide, not college based, and I'm not sure where archaeology is based, but likely near Derwent and/or Vanbrough. As for where the actual lectures will be? Well, who knows, may well be spread all over hes West

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending