The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

are there any other book/lecture lists which people will find useful?
Does anyone know of any good Islamic bookstores in London? Preferably West, NW or East London.
In Birming the one I most visit is Amsons Islamic Store. Insha'Allah I find some of these books the next time I visit
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
[x

x

Wow these are great jazakAllah khayr, it's weird cause I was just looking on another forum for a list of Islamic books to read but this has saved me quite some time
Original post by themorninglight
Does anyone know of any good Islamic bookstores in London? Preferably West, NW or East London.

There is a small shop with lots of books across from Harrow Central Mosque and there is the Zam Zam book store in East London which has many many books bring lots of money because it's hard not to buy everything you see.

Wow these are great jazakAllah khayr, it's weird cause I was just looking on another forum for a list of Islamic books to read but this has saved me quite some time

BarakAllahu feeki, are there any other subjects which you'd like suggestions for?
(edited 9 years ago)
Books on the Sahaaba

Khalid Ibn Waleed: The Sword of Allah by A.I. Akram
Hayatus Sahaaba by M. I. Yusuf
Abu Bakr: Life and Times by Shaykh Doctor Ali al-Salaabee
Uthmaan: Life and Times by Shaykh Doctor Ali al-Salaabee
Umar: Life and Times by Shaykh Doctor Ali al-Salaabee
Ali: Life and Times by Shaykh Doctor Ali al-Salaabee
al-Hassan: Life and Times by Shaykh Doctor Ali al-Salaabee
Commanders of the Muslim Armies
Men Around the Messenger by Khalid Muhammad Khalid
Companions of the Prophet by Abdul Wahid Hamid
Heroes of Islam
Child Companions around the Prophet
Al Farooq by Prof. Shibli Numani
The Lives Of The Sahabah by Maulana Muhammad Yusuf Khandalwi
Al-Hasan & Al Hussein `The Two Grandsons of the Messenger of Allah by Mohammad Redha
Khabbab Bin AI-Aratt The Teacher by Abdul Basit Ahmad
The Successors Of The Messenger by Khalid Muhammad Khalid
Men & Women around the Messenger by Sa'd Yusuf Abu Aziz
Great Women of Islam
Women Around The Messenger

Jazakallha Khayran brother Jeffrey.
I need to rest now
AsalaamuAlaykum
There is a small shop with lots of books across from Harrow Central Mosque and there is the Zam Zam book store in East London which has many many books bring lots of money because it's hard not to buy everything you see.

BarakAllahu feeki, are there any other subjects which you'd like suggestions for?

Jzk I will check them out inshaAllah, is the Zam Zam shop near ELM? Because that's the only place in East London that I know.

As for book topics I'm not sure, these are the kind of books I was thinking of getting though, maybe 1 of each:

- seerah
- biographies of the sahaba
- books on Islamic history/historical figures
- books aimed at women, about female role models, female scholars etc

Do you know any good books for Islamic history or historical figures specifically, I know Dr Sallabi has books on Umar ibn Abd al Aziz, Salahuddin, and Muhammad al Fatih which I plan to read but any others?
10:2to top

Sahih International
Have the people been amazed that We revealed [revelation] to a man from among them, [saying], "Warn mankind and give good tidings to those who believe that they will have a [firm] precedence of honor with their Lord"? [But] the disbelievers say, "Indeed, this is an obvious magician."

10:3to top

Sahih International
Indeed, your Lord is Allah , who created the heavens and the earth in six days and then established Himself above the Throne, arranging the matter [of His creation]. There is no intercessor except after His permission. That is Allah , your Lord, so worship Him. Then will you not remember?

10:4to top

Sahih International
To Him is your return all together. [It is] the promise of Allah [which is] truth. Indeed, He begins the [process of] creation and then repeats it that He may reward those who have believed and done righteous deeds, in justice. But those who disbelieved will have a drink of scalding water and a painful punishment for what they used to deny.

Original post by K1NG93
Never knew that you were a Muslim.

Really? The majority of my posts are focused on addressing the Atheist/anti-Islamic cliches and misconceptions :smile:
Original post by ImNotMe
Really? The majority of my posts are focused on addressing the Atheist/anti-Islamic cliches and misconceptions :smile:

LOL I guess I haven't seen a lot of your posts. Sorry if I offended you :smile:
Original post by K1NG93
LOL I guess I haven't seen a lot of your posts. Sorry if I offended you :smile:

:wink: I wasn't offended, was just paranoid if I had posted something really unIslamic ! haha
Jzk I will check them out inshaAllah, is the Zam Zam shop near ELM? Because that's the only place in East London that I know.

As for book topics I'm not sure, these are the kind of books I was thinking of getting though, maybe 1 of each:

- seerah
- biographies of the sahaba
- books on Islamic history/historical figures
- books aimed at women, about female role models, female scholars etc

Do you know any good books for Islamic history or historical figures specifically, I know Dr Sallabi has books on Umar ibn Abd al Aziz, Salahuddin, and Muhammad al Fatih which I plan to read but any others?

No, i think it's outside upton park station.

There is al-Muhaddithaat by Sh. Akram Nadwi, There are also 2 books on the wives of the Prophet, 1 published by darussalaam and another published by IIPH by Faridah Masood which is good. In history there are not many books written by muslims in history in english as far as i know. There is the Lost Islamic History book by Firas Khateeb. He also suggested these books as a good for covering a particular period/region

The Great Arab Conquests - Hugh Kennedy
The Jews of Islam - Bernard Lewis
The Ottoman Empire: The Classical Age 1300-1600 - Halil Inalcik
Osman's Dream - Caroline Finkel
Blood and Faith: The Purging of Muslim Spain - Matthew Carr
A Peace to End All Peace - David Fromkin
Servants of Allah: African Muslims Enslaved in the Americas: Sylviane Diouf
Jerusalem: The Biography - Simon Sebag Montefiore

And there is the book by Karen Armstrong called Islam: A short History.

Muslim Women: A Biographical Dictionary by Aisha Bewley which i have not read yet but would like to. Biographies Of The Women Companions of the Holy Prophet by 3 Nadwis and also The Noble Women Scholars Of Hadith by Shaykh Mashhur Al Salman.

Also, for more specific stuff there are Brill Publishers, you can browse their site and they have books which target a certain period with great detail.

For the 4 Imaams there is a good but heavy (in that it includes a lot of fiqhi terminology) bu Muhammad Abu Zahra (raheemahullah) and there is also a book on Imaam Abu Hanifa by Sh. Akram Nadwi. There are also two biographies of Saeed Ibn Musayyib and Sufyan Ibn Uyayna (Imaams) floating about somewhere which i see in shops sometimes. There is a "Makers of Islamic Civilization" Series too which covers a few individuals like Ibn Battuta and a biography on Umar Mukhtar (raheemahullah) which i saw in a bookshop once.
Original post by ImNotMe
:wink: I wasn't offended, was just paranoid if I had posted something really unIslamic ! haha

Don't worry. You didn't post anything UnIslamic. It was my fault for which I apologise.
Original post by K1NG93
Don't worry. You didn't post anything UnIslamic. It was my fault for which I apologise.

Its all good :cute:
Deviance And Difference Of Opinion
To all those brothers who claim that anyone who disagrees with them is a "deviant" and only their view is correct:

The real deviance is to attempt to remove valid Ikhtilaaf (difference of opinion) from Islam, and then claim that you are the only correct view in the world.

This sick and toxic, hate-filled view of Islam is exactly what made the Khawaarij who they were: a group of absolutely intolerant, "absolutely correct" bigots. Everyone who disagreed with anything they said was instantly a deviant and "off the Manhaj," or even a Kafir.

We should take our example of how to deal with Ikhtilaaf from how the Sahaba dealt with disagreements. Islam permits difference of opinion, and the only deviants are those who try to change Islam.

via Bro Mazin Abdul Adhim
Asalaamulaykum people, I missed the night time fun I see. I finally got a normal sleeping timetable and stopped sleeping at 7:30 am :colone: alhamdulillah
Abu Hurairah narrated that:

the Prophet said: "The best day that the sun has risen upon is Friday. On it Adam was created, on it he entered Paradise, and on it, he was expelled from it. And the Hour will not be established except on Friday."

حَدَّثَنَا قُتَيْبَةُ، حَدَّثَنَا الْمُغِيرَةُ بْنُ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ، عَنْ أَبِي الزِّنَادِ، عَنِ الأَعْرَجِ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏*"‏ خَيْرُ يَوْمٍ طَلَعَتْ فِيهِ الشَّمْسُ يَوْمُ الْجُمُعَةِ فِيهِ خُلِقَ آدَمُ وَفِيهِ أُدْخِلَ الْجَنَّةَ وَفِيهِ أُخْرِجَ مِنْهَا وَلاَ تَقُومُ السَّاعَةُ إِلاَّ فِي يَوْمِ الْجُمُعَةِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ وَفِي الْبَابِ عَنْ أَبِي لُبَابَةَ وَسَلْمَانَ وَأَبِي ذَرٍّ وَسَعْدِ بْنِ عُبَادَةَ وَأَوْسِ بْنِ أَوْسٍ ‏.‏ قَالَ أَبُو عِيسَى حَدِيثُ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ حَدِيثٌ حَسَنٌ صَحِيحٌ ‏.‏

Grade:*Sahih*(Darussalam)

Reference*:*Jami` at-Tirmidhi 488In-book reference*:*Book 4, Hadith 1English translation*:*Vol. 1, Book 4, Hadith 488

From: Hayat us Sahaba (English) - Vol. 2: Companions of the Prophet (Sahabah).

Latest

Trending

Trending