The Student Room Group

Contemplating re-applying for a different course

Hi, I started Computer Science last September, so I'm about halfway through my 1st year. So far, I've found it fairly average; I enjoy the subject to an extent, and I'm pretty good at it, but I have no motivation to do it, and feel the course isn't right for me. It feels more like a casual hobby that's being forced on me full time.

I recently came across a university course called War Studies. I was dumbstruck! I didn't know a course like that existed. Not to sound horrifically geeky, but there isn't much that I enjoy more than researching military history, historical weapons and armies and basically, anything about warfare, right up to the modern day. I even have very enthusiastic and passionate conversations with friends about the same topics. LARP and other forms of roleplay are hobbies of mine, and I'm a sucker for historical context :P (I must sound like a total loser right now).

I'm considering actually trying for the course, but obviously there's a few issues and risks involved. This year will basically be wasted; I could drop out and seek employment for the rest of the academic year, but its still not a very desirable option. My history grade, while I enjoyed it in Sixth Form, isn't up to scratch. I wasn't known for the effort I put into work. I'd probably have to take a year out and go to college to bump my C up to an A, and perhaps study something else to add an extra oomph to my application. And finally, its the same risk I took last year when I joined this course; I have no idea if I'll enjoy it. Fortunately, I'm quite confident I would.

So, is it feasible/sensible/worth it to pursue this?
Reply 1
Original post by ElCapitanoRob
Hi, I started Computer Science last September, so I'm about halfway through my 1st year. So far, I've found it fairly average; I enjoy the subject to an extent, and I'm pretty good at it, but I have no motivation to do it, and feel the course isn't right for me. It feels more like a casual hobby that's being forced on me full time.

I recently came across a university course called War Studies. I was dumbstruck! I didn't know a course like that existed. Not to sound horrifically geeky, but there isn't much that I enjoy more than researching military history, historical weapons and armies and basically, anything about warfare, right up to the modern day. I even have very enthusiastic and passionate conversations with friends about the same topics. LARP and other forms of roleplay are hobbies of mine, and I'm a sucker for historical context :P (I must sound like a total loser right now).

I'm considering actually trying for the course, but obviously there's a few issues and risks involved. This year will basically be wasted; I could drop out and seek employment for the rest of the academic year, but its still not a very desirable option. My history grade, while I enjoyed it in Sixth Form, isn't up to scratch. I wasn't known for the effort I put into work. I'd probably have to take a year out and go to college to bump my C up to an A, and perhaps study something else to add an extra oomph to my application. And finally, its the same risk I took last year when I joined this course; I have no idea if I'll enjoy it. Fortunately, I'm quite confident I would.

motivation is everything.
trust me, it is easily one of the most important aspects to learning.
if you aren't highly motivated to do something, you'll have less intellectual involvement, and as a result your capacity to remember what you learn is hindered.

it seems like you would really enjoy the war studies course.
you're only in first year - this is the best time to drop out really :smile:
i feel like it's worth "wasting" a year if you end up getting a degree (and maybe a career) doing something you love.

in the end, we all want to enjoy our life.
some people feel that money makes them happiest so they'll endure a potentially "boring" career that pays well.
some people just want to love going to work every day even if they might not get paid too much.
you need to decide which of those types of people you are :biggrin:
Original post by Lúcio
motivation is everything.
trust me, it is easily one of the most important aspects to learning.
if you aren't highly motivated to do something, you'll have less intellectual involvement, and as a result your capacity to remember what you learn is hindered.

it seems like you would really enjoy the war studies course.
you're only in first year - this is the best time to drop out really :smile:
i feel like it's worth "wasting" a year if you end up getting a degree (and maybe a career) doing something you love.

in the end, we all want to enjoy our life.
some people feel that money makes them happiest so they'll endure a potentially "boring" career that pays well.
some people just want to love going to work every day even if they might not get paid too much.
you need to decide which of those types of people you are :biggrin:

Thanks!

I feel the same sentiment. I think it's very important I do something I feel motivated to do. I've never found myself talking about computers or logic, and I've never stayed up till Godknowswhen reading and watching videos about it.

The main obstacle that's in my way is getting my History grade somewhere where uni's can look at it and be happy with it. If I want to go to a place like Birmingham, that C grade I got would need to shoot up to an A. Im just wondering how I'd go about improving it at college? Would I need to resit the whole 2 year course? Or can I just resit particular aspects i.e. my second year?

I've already got an A in A Level Maths. But my other grades dont sit too happily; a D in Further Maths and a C at AS Chemistry. What's my best course of action for that year I'll need to spend improving my A levels?
Reply 3
Thanks!

I feel the same sentiment. I think it's very important I do something I feel motivated to do. I've never found myself talking about computers or logic, and I've never stayed up till Godknowswhen reading and watching videos about it.

The main obstacle that's in my way is getting my History grade somewhere where uni's can look at it and be happy with it. If I want to go to a place like Birmingham, that C grade I got would need to shoot up to an A. Im just wondering how I'd go about improving it at college? Would I need to resit the whole 2 year course? Or can I just resit particular aspects i.e. my second year?

I've already got an A in A Level Maths. But my other grades dont sit too happily; a D in Further Maths and a C at AS Chemistry. What's my best course of action for that year I'll need to spend improving my A levels?

exactly - something you're interested in is far easier to learn and more enjoyable too :smile:
nah, you'd just have to resit the specific exams; i believe you could just re-learn the material yourself and just pay to sit the exam
although i've never done a post-college resit before though - my advice would be to contact your college history teacher and check so you're certain :smile:

if you wanna improve multiple grades, i'm pretty sure you can just return to college, however i don't think it's free the second time around - i think once you hit a certain age (19+ maybe), you have to pay for the course tuition.
i would definitely check up on the details for that - maybe you'd be able to get a special loan or even a bursary for it :smile:
Original post by Lúcio
exactly - something you're interested in is far easier to learn and more enjoyable too :smile:
nah, you'd just have to resit the specific exams; i believe you could just re-learn the material yourself and just pay to sit the exam
although i've never done a post-college resit before though - my advice would be to contact your college history teacher and check so you're certain :smile:

if you wanna improve multiple grades, i'm pretty sure you can just return to college, however i don't think it's free the second time around - i think once you hit a certain age (19+ maybe), you have to pay for the course tuition.
i would definitely check up on the details for that - maybe you'd be able to get a special loan or even a bursary for it :smile:

I do qualify for the full maintenance grant currently, so its entirely possible that if a bursary is available I might be able to get it.

I imagine improving specific areas of multiple grades would actually be a relatively part-time thing. I might be able to hold down a part-time job at the same time as doing it, which to be fair, would be quite advantageous!

I could ring up my old school for advice, and get in contact with my local college. Perhaps I could even ring up one of the universities I'm interested in; ask them what kind of thing they'd be looking for?
Reply 5
definitely - doing only a few subjects for specific exams wouldn't be full time, so like you said you could build up a bit of money working part time too.
plus i'm sure it would be nice to be back at home for a while, but you'll also be busy enough so you won't be bored in the house.

yes, that's an excellent idea.
you already have grades so you have a clear baseline for them - they can specify what higher grades they want and maybe give you a conditional offer in that way :smile:
I've got to say, I do love your profile picture. I managed to grab myself a copy of Majora's Mask 3D with the limited edition New 3DS today; cost me an arm and a leg to pre-order it, but I know its going to be totally worth it!
Reply 7
I've got to say, I do love your profile picture. I managed to grab myself a copy of Majora's Mask 3D with the limited edition New 3DS today; cost me an arm and a leg to pre-order it, but I know its going to be totally worth it!

i know; i don't know where i stumbled upon it - i might search and see if i can get a big poster made out of it!
i love the contrast between the typical colour of majora and it's legendary rival; the fierce deity.

oh wow, i can't tell you how jealous i am!
i do need a new 3ds but there's no way i could afford the £200+ for the limited edition one :frown:
i would treasure it though; majora's mask is my favourite game of all time.
i could go on for a while about how and why i love it so much, however i don't think that's strictly on topic to the thread.

all i'll say is, i can't wait for february 13th and the delivery of my premium majora's mask 3D game :biggrin:
Original post by Lúcio
i know; i don't know where i stumbled upon it - i might search and see if i can get a big poster made out of it!
i love the contrast between the typical colour of majora and it's legendary rival; the fierce deity.

oh wow, i can't tell you how jealous i am!
i do need a new 3ds but there's no way i could afford the £200+ for the limited edition one :frown:
i would treasure it though; majora's mask is my favourite game of all time.
i could go on for a while about how and why i love it so much, however i don't think that's strictly on topic to the thread.

all i'll say is, i can't wait for february 13th and the delivery of my premium majora's mask 3D game :biggrin:

It's my favourite game too; been waiting for this for years!

But back on topic...

Everyone feel free to contribute, when it's a more reasonable time; more advice would definitely be appreciated, from anyone that happens to stumble across this thread! I would be very grateful :smile:.
Reply 9

Perhaps talk to your current uni about an internal transfer that might solve you grades problem. they may make you finish the year on this course.
um you descrbe war studies kind of like a hobby aren't you worried that this will feel like a full time hobby too after a while
Well, its slightly different in the sense that Computer Science wasn't really a hobby at first, it was something I was quite good at. of course, being good at something is fulfilling, but I never really took any personal time out to research about it, or talk about it at all. Now that I have to do it (as its my course), it just feels like something I could only really tolerate in small amounts, and something I really don't take all that much interest in.

As it is now, war studies actually feels like a real hobby, that I take great interest in. Some of my friends and my girlfriend can speak for me and say that I definitely spend too much time thinking and talking about it :P. I feel a lot better and more exciting about the prospect of doing it, rather than I felt last year where I was confused and didn't know what I wanted to do.
Thanks!

There aren't many unis offering this type of degree, as I am sure you are aware. The best is almost certainly King's in London, with requirements of AAA which looks doubtful. Birmingham and Kent both want ABB. Have a look also at Hull (320 points, which gives you more options) and Swansea (BBB-BBC). Lowest are Wolverhampton at 220-260 points, but I am not sure I could recommend them despite having been beaten in a wargame by one of their professors several years ago!

Quick Reply