The Student Room Group

AIDS developed as a bio weapon?

A friend just sent me this link.

I'd not heard this before!
Reply 1
It's quite an old myth, it comes from a misconception about US patent 4647773 which when read without a great deal of knowledge about patents or medical science can seem to suggest the patent is for the creation of AIDS. I believe patent 4647773 was in fact for a detection system as Gallo was head of one of the two groups who linked AIDS with HIV in the 80s, discovering this led to significant advancements in treating and preventing the spread of AIDS which after his discovery is a topic Gallo dedicated most of his professional career to.
Reply 2
It's a rubbish bio weapon if it is, it spreads way too slowly and is too hard to contain.
Reply 3
Original post by jimi191
It's quite an old myth, it comes from a misconception about US patent 4647773...

OK, I looked on Snopes & found nothing but I dare say you have a point.
Original post by NJA
A friend just sent me this link.

I'd not heard this before!

Ironically that website tried to give my computer a virus.

which makes me question whether it's an entirely reputable source.
But HIV takes around 8-10 years to progress into AIDS.
Reply 6
Original post by Joinedup
Ironically that website tried to give my computer a virus.

which makes me question whether it's an entirely reputable source.

Conspiracy theorists would say that "the Authorities" planted the virus there to make you come to just that conclusion!
I heard that Aids first came about because people in Africa were having sex with animals, don't know if its true but most of the **** you hear coming out over there i can velieve it. Look at ebola, they were eating monkeys ffs.
Reply 8
Original post by Ladymusiclover
But HIV takes around 8-10 years to progress into AIDS.
Good point, though the "war" could be deemed to be a long-term campaign.

Some say that WWII started with the harsh and unenforced Treaty of Versailles, or that WWI never really ended.
Reply 9
HIV(AIDS) and Ebola are both manufactured diseases by the US government in their bid to stay ahead/ control chemical warfare. Many people say it's conspiracy but it is true.
Apparently Umbrella Corporation is behind it all.
Original post by NJA
Good point, though the "war" could be deemed to be a long-term campaign.

Some say that WWII started with the harsh and unenforced Treaty of Versailles, or that WWI never really ended.

That'd be very silly. They can't stop it from having it spread back to their own citizens when most carriers won't know they are carriers until at least some many years later.
Reply 12
Original post by NJA
OK, I looked on Snopes & found nothing but I dare say you have a point.

Here is one that covers all the major points about the discovery of the illness and the more common conspiracy theories surrounding it http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/aids.asp it's not actually all that strange there are a lot of conspiracy theory's surrounding the origins of AIDS and it mainly comes from the fact when AIDS was discovered for about two years no one had any real idea where the hell it came from, that coupled with an extremely aggressive soviet propaganda campaign which convinced a lot of people in Africa/Asia it was an American plot. In reality though even if we disregard research done which strongly suggests the HIV virus was the result of SIV (similar virus in chimpanzees) making the species jump to humans HIV or full blown AIDS would be an absolutely terrible bio weapon, it's not easily spread as it requires direct fluid contact and even then it isn't guaranteed for instance it is estimated the chance of getting HIV through sexual intercourse via an infected individual and non-infected individual is less than 1% (genders do play a slight role in this, an infected man is more likely to pass the virus on to an unaffected female than vise versa) the only real high probability chance to get HIV is through blood transfusions which just aren't common enough to have any serious effect on a population.

The virus is also very easily detected and the spread can be prevented quite easily (which again goes back to direct fluid contact being an extremely poor method of infection). The virus has little stopping power, it can take decades for someone to develop full blown AIDS and in that time they can continue their daily life, more importantly the chance of a HIV infected female passing the virus to her child is actually lower than 50% and considering how fast the people the conspiracy theories allege the virus was targeted at (Africans, Asians) breed it would not be an effective method for wiping out their population.
(edited 9 years ago)
human immunodeficiency virus --> acquired immunodeficiency syndrome
Original post by perfectsymbology
Apparently Umbrella Corporation is behind it all.

How would developing AIDS as a biological weapon help them sell umbrellas? :confused:
Reply 15
Original post by jimi191
Here is one that covers all the major points about the discovery of the illness and the more common conspiracy theories surrounding it http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/aids.asp...

Cheers, I only searched on the guy's name.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending