The Student Room Group

Will I win the lottery?

Hello everyone.

I have just started back at University this term and already I am feeling the isolation and loneliness. I just can't see the point in existing anymore as no one here talks to me whatsoever, it's so lonely. I'm over 300 miles away from my home town here too, meaning that I can't speak to my former school friends either. As everyone here is middle/upper class, I have figured that the only way they will talk to me is that if I have money, and the only way I will get enough money to impress them is by winning the lottery, which I have never played before.

I have £3,500 in savings which I have worked for since I was 14. I was wondering whether it is likely would I win the lottery if I spent it all on tickets in Tesco.

I know that the lotto is £1, so I would have more chances of winning on that game than the euromillions, however the euromillions would see me win a lot more, and I would be able to hold my own with some of the people at this university who are on my floor/on my course.

Thank you for any help.

Scroll to see replies

Don't do it man. Work your way to a living.
No - the chances of winning the lottery are 1 in 14 million.

If you buy a ticket on a Monday then you are more likely to die by Friday than win the lottery ...

Is there a society you could join? There must be some like-minded people there, don't give up looking.
Original post by Stefano93
Don't do it man. Work your way to a living.

I always have, both academically and through jobs. However here I can't have a job during term time and everyone else is so snobby and has no time to talk to me. The only thing these people look for when determining who to talk to is how much money they have, not how nice a person I am. It's so depressing. Surely my odds of winning a large prize say £20,000 on lotto would be quite large if I buy 3500 tickets? That would be a profit of £16,500, which I could use to join their elite societies.
Reply 4

6 numbers are drawn at random from the set of integers between 1 and 49, which means there are 49!/(6!*(49-6)!) combinations of numbers (the draw order doesn't matter). The means that the jackpot chance is 1 in 13,983,816 or approximately 1 in 14 million.

Original post by Muttley79
No - the chances of winning the lottery are 1 in 14 million.

If you buy a ticket on a Monday then you are more likely to die by Friday than win the lottery ...

Is there a society you could join? There must be some like-minded people there, don't give up looking.

It's so hard to find any like minded people here as most of the people on my floor and in my college went to private school. The societies they join are like the 'wine tasting' society, which I can't join as I don't like wine.
Reply 6
I would suggest you spent £500 on computer and speak to your school/college friends :smile:
Original post by Wesleigh

6 numbers are drawn at random from the set of integers between 1 and 49, which means there are 49!/(6!*(49-6)!) combinations of numbers (the draw order doesn't matter). The means that the jackpot chance is 1 in 13,983,816 or approximately 1 in 14 million.

But if I divide that by 3,500, the odds are just 3995.376 to 1. Also, I could possibly take out a loan from the bank. I saw that they (HSBC) do loans of up to £25,000. If I bought 28,500 tickets (i'd buy them online as thats too many to buy in Tesco), my odds would be just 1 in 490.66 for actually winning millions on the lottery, that's almost certain compared to the odds of buying one ticket!
Why do you care so much about how much money you have?

Just 'joining their elite societies' won't fulfil your happiness in any way. If they're 'snobby' to you now why would they want to associate with you then?
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar

I know that the lotto is £1, so I would have more chances of winning on that game than the euromillions, however the euromillions would see me win a lot more, and I would be able to hold my own with some of the people at this university who are on my floor/on my course.

Thank you for any help.

I think the lotto is £2 now.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Why do you care so much about how much money you have?

Just 'joining their elite societies' won't fulfil your happiness in any way. If they're 'snobby' to you now why would they want to associate with you then?

But at least then I would also be like them! Some of them are very snobby indeed, one whose applying for IB said that he'd 'rather be unemployed than work in Aberdeen'.
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
I think the lotto is £2 now.

I thought that the Euro was £2 and Lotto was one?
Hello everyone.

I have just started back at University this term and already I am feeling the isolation and loneliness. I just can't see the point in existing anymore as no one here talks to me whatsoever, it's so lonely. I'm over 300 miles away from my home town here too, meaning that I can't speak to my former school friends either. As everyone here is middle/upper class, I have figured that the only way they will talk to me is that if I have money, and the only way I will get enough money to impress them is by winning the lottery, which I have never played before.

I have £3,500 in savings which I have worked for since I was 14. I was wondering whether it is likely would I win the lottery if I spent it all on tickets in Tesco.

Thank you for any help.

Well they pick 6 numbers from the numbers 1,2,3,...,49 so there are 49C6=13,983,81649C6=13,983,816 possible choices so the chance of winning is 1 in 13,983,816 or 0.0000000715. Now if you spent £3,500 on tickets for one draw then you get 3,500 choices (assuming £1 a ticket) so the probability of winning is.... Although technically is it a hypergeometric distribution the 3,500 is so small in comparison to the total number of choices we can approximate using a binomial distribution i.e. 3500 independent Bernoulli trials [this will slightly overestimate the probability].

So the probability of winning is 1(10.0000000715)3500=0.000251-(1-0.0000000715)^{3500}=0.00025

Now this weeks lotto jackpot is £5,700,000 so the amount you would be expected to win is £1426. Now expectation does not work so well with such large differences i.e. you win £0 or £5,700,000. However, since there are smaller prizes I believe this gives a fair approximation.

In others works you would be expected to win less than half the amount you spent. In conclusion, this shows that is it not worth it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I thought that the Euro was £2 and Lotto was one?

They're both £2 now I believe. Only the thunderball and hotpicks are £1. It's not worth it, so that's 1750 tickets for your money's worth. You don't need money to impress people!
yeah you've a fair chance of winning.

might not be the top prize but a win's a win.
But at least then I would also be like them! Some of them are very snobby indeed, one whose applying for IB said that he'd 'rather be unemployed than work in Aberdeen'.

You shouldn't think the way of 'if you can't beat them, join them'.

Be proud of who you are and what you do.
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
They're both £2 now I believe. Only the thunderball and hotpicks are £1. It's not worth it, so that's 1750 tickets for your money's worth. You don't need money to impress people!

OMG they are, that's not fair at all, what a scam! I'll have to rethink my plans. Are the scratch cards any good? The £100,000 ones? They're still £1 right?
Just saying the Lottery IS now £2.00
OMG they are, that's not fair at all, what a scam! I'll have to rethink my plans. Are the scratch cards any good? The £100,000 ones? They're still £1 right?

Yeh, I think the £100,000 ones are still £1. Oh the lotto/euro tickets have this raffle number thing on them now also along with your numbers. Not sure how much you win (in the thousands I think) if you match the raffle but the euro has the higher payout due to the amount of people playing it. I wouldn't advice wasting your money on either, scratch cards are the same. My brother once won £100 on a £2 scratch, but that's the most anyone in our family's won. You're better off investing your money rather than spending it aimlessly on gambling.
But if I divide that by 3,500, the odds are just 3995.376 to 1. Also, I could possibly take out a loan from the bank. I saw that they (HSBC) do loans of up to £25,000. If I bought 28,500 tickets (i'd buy them online as thats too many to buy in Tesco), my odds would be just 1 in 490.66 for actually winning millions on the lottery, that's almost certain compared to the odds of buying one ticket!

That's not how probability works mate.

Quick Reply

Latest