The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by simba_n
I feel the exact same way! I was motivated for about 2 minutes when my offer came though and have gone on to scrape Bs in my mocks. This time last year I was getting E's B's and C's in my mocks, and finished the year really well. I just find it really hard to motivate myself without the fear of failure and the time pressure of revising for real exams. I have the confidence of knowing that I can pull it off in the end as I have done it before, but I don't want that to turn into cockiness because I know just how hard A2s are and how much I want to meet this offer.

And all my offers are pretty much the same so I either get into oxford or go nowhere, which is motivating me a little

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohmygosh everything you've just said is literally me, apart from all your offers being the same... so glad it's not just me, I was starting to feel like I might not be Oxford material :s-smilie:
Original post by Yaz97
Ohmygosh everything you've just said is literally me, apart from all your offers being the same... so glad it's not just me, I was starting to feel like I might not be Oxford material :s-smilie:

I think there are more people who are like this who are accepted into oxford than you'd think. It makes me wonder whether I'm oxford material also because I don't feel like I'm the 'genius' that they're looking for who can bang out As and A*s without actually working for them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine. I got an offer for maths at Worcester too and I feel the same way. If at least 2/10 of us feel like that, it's probably normal
Original post by simba_n
I feel the exact same way! I was motivated for about 2 minutes when my offer came though and have gone on to scrape Bs in my mocks. This time last year I was getting E's B's and C's in my mocks, and finished the year really well. I just find it really hard to motivate myself without the fear of failure and the time pressure of revising for real exams. I have the confidence of knowing that I can pull it off in the end as I have done it before, but I don't want that to turn into cockiness because I know just how hard A2s are and how much I want to meet this offer.

And all my offers are pretty much the same so I either get into oxford or go nowhere, which is motivating me a little

Posted from TSR Mobile

It may help to break the task down a bit. I don't think its helpful to think about the bigger context and to do so risks catastrophising. Think instead about the next step you have to take and concentrate on that - for example, understanding the next class you have, the next piece of homework, the next mock exam. If it sinks in and goes well, give yourself a pat on the back and then start thinking about the next step. You'll need a revision plan closer to the exams, but apply the same method: take it in steps and treat yourself to small rewards as you pass the check points. If something goes wrong along the way, learn from this but look forwards to the next step not backwards. The alternative approach - constantly worrying about your offer - won't be productive. Also, I think it is worth saying that the worst case scenario (you miss the grades) is not a catastrophe - students do still go to University and move on with their lives. Good luck and look after yourself!
Original post by squeepig
That is only for students who receive the PSC scholarship (which in my opinion is even harder than getting into oxford, can you believe it :frown:) It is REALLY hard to get funding for courses such as Medicine and Law in Singapore, many scholarships specify that they do not want any law or medicine degrees

As a fellow Singaporean (hellloooooo!!!), have you looked into Stat boards or the bond-free scholarships like Loke Cheng Kim? :smile:

Personally, I don't think getting a PSC scholarship is necessarily harder than getting into Oxford. They just look at different things. :tongue:

Medicine is probably quite hard - possibly A*Star if you want to do research? PSC doesn't seem to be giving out overseas medicine scholarships in recent years. There's the MOH grant, but it isn't a lot.

For Law, I believe quite a few agencies allow for it (eg GIC, MAS, MPA, JTC) but with the caveat that you may not get to practise.

I've done my time applying for scholarships so feel free to PM me if you want to chat :smile: For what it's worth, I do think it is worth bearing in mind that not getting a scholarship isn't so bad - you'll have the freedom to choose your own path post-graduation.
Reply 645
i got an offer from keble to do ppe (AAA), anyone else here get in to keble?
Original post by Lucilou101
Good attempt - Oxford don't give out unconditionals to those without results. Plus from your other posts it seems you're doing Business Management which is not a course Oxford offers.

Original post by michelle37
You may be right that he/she isn't being truthful, but I would just like to point out that Oxford does give unconditional offers to those without results. It's a very, very rare chance though, but it has happened before - my senior got an unconditional with predicted grades for History. I'm not sure how, or why though.

Original post by souktik
That may happen if you're doing two sets of qualifications. For example, a person in an IB school who takes the SAT, APs, and Subject Tests before applying may get an unconditional rather than an IB-conditional. That's actually pretty common.

Original post by admissionshost
Unconditional offers to applicants who do not have the required qualifications runs foul of the Common Framework on Admissions that the colleges abide by and would be ruled out by the Faculty Admissions Coordinators. Since the abolition of entrance exams, unconditional offers have disappeared.

What's being referred to is people in Y13 with no qualifications - not even SAT/AP, Souktik - getting an unconditional offer having not finished school.

Despite what admissionshost said I'm pretty sure my neighbour had an unconditional to study Music even though he was yet to sit his A-Levels...? (That said, he still achieved the conditions he would have been set had his offer been conditional).
Original post by personage
Any re-allocatees or pooled people out there? are you pleased with your new college? Pine for your first choice, or just relieved you got an offer?:colondollar:

I got reallocated from St John's to Exeter after the interview process. In all honesty, there are only a few differences between the colleges, so I'd be ecstatic with any one! However, I'm pleased that Exeter is much closer to the Ruskin (I didn't really anticipate the crowded trek to and from St John's!), and its ties to the US are of great interest to me! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by amol_chalis447
What's being referred to is people in Y13 with no qualifications - not even SAT/AP, Souktik - getting an unconditional offer having not finished school.

Despite what admissionshost said I'm pretty sure my neighbour had an unconditional to study Music even though he was yet to sit his A-Levels...? (That said, he still achieved the conditions he would have been set had his offer been conditional).

Music candidates are in the same position as any other subject (AAA or equivalent). Fine Art ditto (except that BTECs can be offered but nearly all applicants have A-levels plus a Foundation year). The only scenario I can imagine is an application for an organ scholarship, outside of the regular round, which in the past could, in some colleges, perhaps (?) have resulted in a UO before examinations - but entry is now subject to the same rules as the main December round and I've not heard of any exceptions.
Music candidates are in the same position as any other subject (AAA or euivalent). Fine Art ditto (except that BTECs can be offered but nearly all applicants have A-levels plus a Foundation year). The only scenario I can imagine is an application for an organ scholarship, outside of the regular round, which in the past could, in some colleges, perhaps (?) have resulted in a UO before examinations - but entry is now subject to the same rules as the main December round and I've not heard of any exceptions.

I really have no idea as to the policy and I'm sure you know it better than me, but I am quite sure that my neighbour who studies music but is not an organ scholar had an unconditional before completing Year 13...I'm not trying to say you're wrong, just pointing out that it has happened, for whatever reason - however I've not heard of any other case of this type in any year at my college.
Original post by Molly_xox
Anyone who has been accepted for St Peter's College on here? I'm yet to find anyone :frown:

Meee I have for history of art :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so late to this thread! I received an offer for English Literature and Language at Christ Church (I'm still convinced it's some kind of error!) Any other English Christ Church offer holders?
Original post by foalsgold
Meee I have for history of art :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome! I have an offer for Spanish and Linguistics :smile: was St Peter's your first choice?
Reply 653
A few queries have appeared on this thread from holders of Open Offers. As pointed out in the responses made to these, Open Offers are made because each year a small proportion of students do not make conditional offers or withdraw for other reasons.

Is there any truth in the rumour that this year an abnormally large number of students did not meet their offer conditions?
It may help to break the task down a bit. I don't think its helpful to think about the bigger context and to do so risks catastrophising. Think instead about the next step you have to take and concentrate on that - for example, understanding the next class you have, the next piece of homework, the next mock exam. If it sinks in and goes well, give yourself a pat on the back and then start thinking about the next step. You'll need a revision plan closer to the exams, but apply the same method: take it in steps and treat yourself to small rewards as you pass the check points. If something goes wrong along the way, learn from this but look forwards to the next step not backwards. The alternative approach - constantly worrying about your offer - won't be productive. Also, I think it is worth saying that the worst case scenario (you miss the grades) is not a catastrophe - students do still go to University and move on with their lives. Good luck and look after yourself!

Thank you so much, I think that this is the type of focused advice I need. I've felt a bit lost since my offer came, not knowing what to do with myself study wise but I think I just need to stop letting myself be overwhelmed by it and just carry on a normal, working hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tom707
i got an offer from keble to do ppe (AAA), anyone else here get in to keble?

I did, for Engineering! A*AA. What made you pick Keble?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simba_n
I did, for Engineering! A*AA. What made you pick Keble?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by DodoManiac
That was Worcester :smile: I'm a MathPhil hopeful!
I haven't heard back yet as they're very busy but I'm not in any rush.. Which college did you apply to?

I picked Keble, got in for Maths! Good to see a few people from Keble around here!
Original post by Pars12
Is there any truth in the rumour that this year an abnormally large number of students did not meet their offer conditions?

There were some changes last year that altered the 'normal' state - a few more subjects introduced A* offers and there were changes to the re-sitting of A-level modules. These factors would tend to increase missed offer rates slightly. On the other side, the IB offers became standardised at 38-40 points (a few subjects previously had higher offers) which would work in the opposite direction. The net result was probably a small net-increase in missed offers - a transition from one normal state to another!?
Original post by Fanticipation
I got reallocated from St John's to Exeter after the interview process. In all honesty, there are only a few differences between the colleges, so I'd be ecstatic with any one! However, I'm pleased that Exeter is much closer to the Ruskin (I didn't really anticipate the crowded trek to and from St John's!), and its ties to the US are of great interest to me! :biggrin:

Yes...lots of tourists on that corner! I got reallocated before interview, so was intrigued to see where I'd land up. It was LMH, which I'm very happy with! I think at least a third of us will have been shifted around...but think in retrospect I spent too long working out where to choose!
Didn't realise there was a whole new thread about this!

Open offer (originally applied to Somerville) for Maths: A* in Further Maths only!

Latest

Trending

Trending