The Student Room Group

University Billed me even though I have SAAS

I dropped out of uni in October after realising the course wasn't for me.
I payed my bills for the halls for the month I stayed and the month after as it states I need to do in the contract.
However today I got a bill in the post saying i owe the £1000 odd pounds. It doesn't say what this is for but I presume it's the fee of the actual education I was meant to recieve. However I contacted SAAS and they payed me a total of £46 for the time I was there and I presumed they would have payed my bill as higher education is free in Scotland.

I have no idea what to do, they need the money in 7 days and I feel like this is a mistake on their behalf. Does anyone know what this could be or have experienced something like this?
Hi,

Ok take a deep breath, it'll be fine.

Start by calling SAAS and explaining the situation to them, then proceed to contact your uni about your circumstance and that you're trying to sort it out with SAAS. Finally contact your careers adviser back in Sixthform (just for reassurance, and professional help)

Try to act immediately, but hopefully it should all work out.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by R Dragon
Hi,

Ok take a deep breath, it'll be fine.

Start by calling SAAS and explaining the situation to them, then proceed to contact your uni about your circumstance and that you're trying to sort it out with SAAS. Finally contact your careers adviser back in Sixthform (just for reassurance, and professional help)

Try to act immediately, but hopefully it should all work out.

Good luck :smile:

Thanks you! Well I phoned the uni and they said SAAS won't pay because I left. Your only eligible for the tuition fees to be payed if you stay the full year.
Hopefully this will help people not to make the same mistake as I did
Original post by RC5496
Thanks you! Well I phoned the uni and they said SAAS won't pay because I left. Your only eligible for the tuition fees to be payed if you stay the full year.
Hopefully this will help people not to make the same mistake as I did

Ahh I'm sorry to hear that, but that's quite surprising....

It's not a mistake!! It wasn't your fault, don't blame yourself.

But that's really weird, my friend dropped out of the first day and she didn't have to pay, I'll ask her for advice on how her situation went. In the mean time, at least contact your sixthform, again sorry to hear about it.

Good luck!
Conact your uni's finance department and ask them for clarification on this. I know that at leas in England, how much you have to pay, depends on how long you've been there for.
Reply 5
They said it was in my contract but they've turned it to a £10 a month direct debit which is better than a one off.
I thought it just used up my full year of SAAS. Like you have 5 years worth of money any one student can use. And I presumed it would just count as my 1 year because that's what I heard

What's done is done now! It's a pain but it's life
I started a journalism course before doing my nursing degree. Lasted two weeks and dropped out and didn't need to pay anything. And tbh I didn't hear anything. Like you I was saas funded. Hadn't received any bursary at that point though. Seems a lot to charge you 1000 for few weeks uni?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending