The Student Room Group

26 and feel lost

So I graduated from uni with a bad music degree, was a teaching assistant for a while but didn't feel progression so left. I've been working as a police community support officer for nearly a year but don't feel it's for me, I'm finding shifts tough and don't have much time to see family and my boyfriend.

I want to move on, but don't know where to look. I think of working in an office but have no idea how to go about it and I'd like to improve my degree grade but don't know how. Advice very
welcome!
Original post by dimpleslass
So I graduated from uni with a bad music degree, was a teaching assistant for a while but didn't feel progression so left. I've been working as a police community support officer for nearly a year but don't feel it's for me, I'm finding shifts tough and don't have much time to see family and my boyfriend.

I want to move on, but don't know where to look. I think of working in an office but have no idea how to go about it and I'd like to improve my degree grade but don't know how. Advice very
welcome!

Hi there,

A good way to build up experience in other sectors is temp work. That way if you hate it, you're only there for a while. Try office angels? Also what about using your music degree? Try finding charities that work with children in relation to music? Like music therapy?

How about going travelling for a bit to see the world and see if you find something you want to do on your journeys? Also I used to work for Walt Disney World as a college program but if you're from the UK there is a program where you can work in Epcot in the UK pavilion. Worth a shot?
Reply 2
Original post by lyrical_lie
Hi there,

A good way to build up experience in other sectors is temp work. That way if you hate it, you're only there for a while. Try office angels? Also what about using your music degree? Try finding charities that work with children in relation to music? Like music therapy?

How about going travelling for a bit to see the world and see if you find something you want to do on your journeys? Also I used to work for Walt Disney World as a college program but if you're from the UK there is a program where you can work in Epcot in the UK pavilion. Worth a shot?

I'd love to say I could do temp work but I have to make sure I have a salary to pay my rent!
I'd love to say I could do temp work but I have to make sure I have a salary to pay my rent!

Could you do some volunteering at your weekends? That way you could see if you enjoy it and it might open up more job opportunities? What do you like doing?

welcome!

Is there any way to transfer from PCSO to a more office-based police role? And from there you could look at moving into other office-based roles?
Reply 5
Hi there,

Applications for this are currently open for this - they close on the 31st and You have to go through a company called yummyjobs :ninjagirl:

OP, wrt improving your degree grade, you can transfer credits from a current degree to the open university. You can transfer a maximum of 240 credits, and have to do at least 120 at level 3 through the OU. Your degree grade would be based solely on the OU modules.

This would have to be self-funded though, unless you currently only have an ordinary degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aula
Applications for this are currently open for this - they close on the 31st and You have to go through a company called yummyjobs :ninjagirl:

Papa, wrt improving your degree grade, you can transfer credits from a current degree to the open university. You can transfer a maximum of 240 credits, and have to do at least 120 at level 3 through the OU. Your degree grade would be based solely on the OU modules.

This would have to be self-funded though, unless you currently only have an ordinary degree.

I know that's how I got my Disney job :h:
Reply 7
Original post by Aula

Papa, wrt improving your degree grade, you can transfer credits from a current degree to the open university. You can transfer a maximum of 240 credits, and have to do at least 120 at level 3 through the OU. Your degree grade would be based solely on the OU modules.

What do you consider an ordinary degree? I have a BA Hons.
Thanks guys this is helpful stuff 😊
Reply 8
What do you consider an ordinary degree? I have a BA Hons.
Thanks guys this is helpful stuff 😊

An ordinary degree is one without honours, so you'll have to self fund.
Module costs are around £2500 for a 60 credit module now.
Reply 9
I know that's how I got my Disney job :h:

Yeah, I thought I'd let OP know :mmm:
I dont mean to be offending or rude but why did u do a music degree ? Thats useless. You could've just entered any music competition. Thats how people succeed in that industry. I think you should just go back to school and do a proper degree. Not that a music dehree isnt proper but somethings are just useless with degrees they nees alternatives like knowing people in tue the industry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
If you were a teaching assistant, but felt you lacked progression, you could potentially do a PGCE and become a fully fledged teacher, either in primary or secondary school. The latter teaching music.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending