The Student Room Group

AQA FP3 - quick question on notations

I've been doing a couple of past papers on FP3 and have noticed in the mark schemes this type of expression o(x^3). Question 7c, in the paper below, uses it and I've seen it in other mark schemes but have never come across it in my studies. I take it that it means "the value of whatever's in the brackets is so small it can be ignored" but should I be using that notation or will leaving out the term be acceptable?

Thanks

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MFP3-W-MS-JUN06.PDF
Original post by maggiehodgson
I've been doing a couple of past papers on FP3 and have noticed in the mark schemes this type of expression o(x^3). Question 7c, in the paper below, uses it and I've seen it in other mark schemes but have never come across it in my studies. I take it that it means "the value of whatever's in the brackets is so small it can be ignored" but should I be using that notation or will leaving out the term be acceptable?

Thanks

The notes in the right hand column make it clear that you do not need to use the notation in order to get full marks
Original post by TenOfThem
The notes in the right hand column make it clear that you do not need to use the notation in order to get full marks

Sorry, I never even looked at that. Presumably that will always be the case then.

Thanks

It means "a term which tends to 0 as fast or faster than x^3 does", by the way.
Original post by Smaug123

Thank you. Always good to get an understanding of what's meant.
Sorry, I never even looked at that. Presumably that will always be the case then.

That is correct ... I have not taught AQA for a few years but I do not recall it specifically being in the syllabus

Look up big o and little o notation if you want an explanation
Original post by Smaug123
Unless I'm having a major brain failure, o(x^3) means "a term that tends to 0 faster than x^3".

O(x^3) would be "as fast or faster".

I am pretty sure I am right about this, but then if I'm right the markscheme is wrong... :confused:
Original post by DFranklin
Unless I'm having a major brain failure, o(x^3) means "a term that tends to 0 faster than x^3".

O(x^3) would be "as fast or faster".

I am pretty sure I am right about this, but then if I'm right the markscheme is wrong... :confused:

Oh no, I always get those mixed up :frown: I think you're right, yes. This is why I always instead use "f(x)f(x) where f(x)x30\dfrac{f(x)}{x^3} \to 0 as x0x \to 0"…

Quick Reply

Latest