The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Help! Computing Admissions Test.

Hi,
So I applied to Imperial on Dec 29 2014 through UCAS. I applied to G400 BEng Computing. I have contacted the Imperial staff and they tell that strong applicants get an interview or an admissions test. So my query is that what kind of admissions test is that? Is it hard like the MAT? What content it has? Do all successful applicants get it?
A help to this query would be really appreciated!
Some sample questions would also be appreciated.
Thanks.

P.S.- I am an international student.
Reply 1
Original post by AijazKhan
Hi,
So I applied to Imperial on Dec 29 2014 through UCAS. I applied to G400 BEng Computing. I have contacted the Imperial staff and they tell that strong applicants get an interview or an admissions test. So my query is that what kind of admissions test is that? Is it hard like the MAT? What content it has? Do all successful applicants get it?
A help to this query would be really appreciated!
Some sample questions would also be appreciated.
Thanks.

P.S.- I am an international student.

Just had my test a few days ago, it's basically a 6 question test with 1 logic question and 5 maths questions that you're supposed to do in 45 minutes. Not as difficult as the MAT but I wouldn't call it extremely easy.
From what I know, the admissions test is sort of an alternative to the interview for international students.
Anyway, for me, I didn't do any extra preparation other than go over the maths content in C1, C2 and C3. So if you're an A-Level student, I would just recommend knowing your A-Level Maths content pretty well and hopefully that'll be enough preparation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
A many thanks for your reply Bendak! I got this thing but the only thing concerning me is now that I'm not an A-Level student. It would really be appreciable if you can tell me the topics and type of questions.
Thank you.
Reply 3
Original post by AijazKhan
A many thanks for your reply Bendak! I got this thing but the only thing concerning me is now that I'm not an A-Level student. It would really be appreciable if you can tell me the topics and type of questions.
Thank you.

I'm going to list the chapter names from C1, C2 and C3, you can look at past papers to see what the content looks like in questions.

C1
1. Algebra and functions
2. Quadratic functions
3. Equations and inequalities
4. Sketching curves
5. Coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane - Straight lines
6. Sequences and series
7. Differentiation
8. Integration

C2
1. Algebra and functions
2. The sine and cosine rule