The Student Room Group

People in their late 20's or older, what does society expect of you ?

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sulpha
A 30 year old posted yesterday on a thread about the social pressures of finding someone to settle down with due to her age.

For those of us only touching our mid-20's or below, can you add to this/give other insights as to what we can expect in another 4-5 years time ?

Marriage and possibly kids by 30 is a pretty common expectation.

To have started progressing your career, either purchased or saving to purchase your first house. Paying into a pension and taking suitable insurance policies out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
My looks is something that I know I am good in. I have looked at a 1,000 mirrors in every angle imagineable. I have measured my face, my nose - width ratio etc... I have studied what makes people attractive.

I know that I am good in my looks.
Reply 3
Original post by HarryDn
My looks is something that I know I am good in. I have looked at a 1,000 mirrors in every angle imagineable. I have measured my face, my nose - width ratio etc... I have studied what makes people attractive.

o.......................................k?
most people have settled down to marital bliss by their late 20s. they have graduated and are settled in their careers.
of course many will still be "footloose and fancy free", but they will find that there are fewer and fewer social groups for people in their 20s.
I get why you're asking this, but I have to ask: why do you care? Hitting life's landmarks at a specific time because society 'expects' you to sounds like a recipe for a pretty miserable existence.
What really annoys me is how people will make out you should be desperate for marriage and running out of time, if I wanted kids it's her with the clock not me. It also galls me when a guy with a wife ten years younger than him makes out that I can't wait or have time to get a fertile women, when with the same age gap, I could be a father in 12 years time. Sometimes people are putting you in your place by it.
1. Have a 2:1.
2. Graduated from an RG university.
3. Be middle class.
Reply 8
That I should be married and have children are the biggest expectations and when you tell people you don't want either of those things, especially not wanting children, as a female people look at you like you're not 'normal'. Personally I like to think I'm socially responsible. :biggrin:
Original post by Torigirl
That I should be married and have children are the biggest expectations and when you tell people you don't want either of those things, especially not wanting children, as a female people look at you like you're not 'normal'. Personally I like to think I'm socially responsible. :biggrin:

Same. I stranger looks when I say I've never had a boyfriend.
I'm in my late twenties. In the last few years, the majority of people I knew from school are now married and/or with kids and/or engaged. As a single person with no kids, I'm definitely now in the minority. Nobody has said anything about it but I definitely feel under pressure to find 'the one'.
(edited 9 years ago)
:ninja:

To join

Spoiler

More seriously though, I've been with a lass for 3 months and everyone is already asking when I move in / marry / impregnate her...
Original post by HarryDn

lol, what has that got to do with this thread?
Original post by Sulpha
It was just a question of curiosity. Nowhere did I imply that I was in some deep state of thought over it.

If anything, your response to this thread says more about your insecurity about the topic.

I didn't suggest you were in a deep state of thought.. but you asked the question, so I wondered why you cared?

I got married at 25, I've already done one degree and next year (the year I turn 30) I'll qualify as a doctor. I own my own house. Currently undecided about children, but I don't think there's the same expectation there used to be to have kids under the age of 30 anyway, so I don't feel any pressure there. If anything, I'm the epitome of boring conformity.. so no, I'm definitely not insecure. I just hate the idea of anyone feeling like they have to do this **** because that's what they're 'supposed' to do. This isn't aimed at *you*; it's aimed at the concept of expectation.
Reply 14
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
lol, what has that got to do with this thread?

In my 20s, it is something that I know I am good in.
Original post by mikeyd85

To join

Spoiler

More seriously though, I've been with a lass for 3 months and everyone is already asking when I move in / marry / impregnate her...

Talk about moving way too fast!
My next birthday is the landmark one and most people are starting to question when I'm going to get married, have kids, etc already.

I frankly couldn't care less and am in no hurry to do either, but it's definitely an expectation others have of you.

To join

Spoiler

You mean you haven't asked her yet?! :eek:
Original post by OU Student
Talk about moving way too fast!

Yep! I took her dog out for a walk last week - even picked up it's poo. That's commitment enough for now in my eyes!
Yep! I took her dog out for a walk last week - even picked up it's poo. That's commitment enough for now in my eyes!

That, frankly, is scary. Slow down!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending