The Student Room Group

Mid 20's - worst time of my life?!

Does anyone find themselves at a stage in life - graduated, career, ' from the outside - has everything' - but secretly depressed as hell deep down.

I sometimes think it's maybe because I don't have strength spiritually - but I find that life is a *hit hole.

Graduate.... get married....have kids... buy a house.... live....

It's depressing as hell - and then we die?

Well - Thank F for that - at least we get to die right?

Damn life is depressing as hell.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Posted anon: My husband/friends and members of family are on TSR.
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone find themselves at a stage in life - graduated, career, ' from the outside - has everything' - but secretly depressed as hell deep down.

I sometimes think it's maybe because I don't have strength spiritually - but I find that life is a *hit hole.

I'm 25 and feel that way but, honestly, I don't have everything and nor does it look like I do from the outside. My life kind of fell apart after university. I was always smart and successful in school/college/uni but after graduating and living in the real world I've started to see life/the world so much differently. Just going from crappy job to crappy job and wondering what it's all about and what all my hard work was for. I worked hard, I was supposed to be successful. But I can barely make above min wage and I live in my parents house. It's a really harsh world we live in today. I'm constantly worried about money/financial security, long term prospects/career destinations, health, lack of relationships/closeness with friends and family and generally feeling alone.

I feel like my 20's have been all about having my expectations torn to pieces and having my optimism and naive hopefulness stamped on.

I think I was never to worried about the future when I was in uni because adulthood was just a concept and it seemed so far away. Now it's a reality that I'm living in, and it's a horrible reality - even after doing everything the 'right' way (working hard, going to uni etc) it's turned out like this, it makes me wonder whether I should just do things the 'wrong way' from now on. I'm sincerely hoping that what I'm feeling is normal at this point in my life and that it's just 'growing pains' because if this is what the rest of adulthood feels like then life is **** and I don't really see the point in pretending otherwise like everyone else does.
I can see what you mean. I think I have a slightly different view on things, but I always liked how "structured" school and early university was (I went to a collegiate uni, so it was kinda like a boarding school really). You turned up every day, had lectures to go to, lived with friends in halls every year, and I generally just felt "included". I felt like I had a purpose (I was always good at school and went to Cambridge, so I felt like I was "succeeding", that's not meant to be arrogant, but it helped me feel positive about myself). University also gave a bit of a structured social life, whilst I didn't have as many friends as others, you still have attachments to your hallmates, coursemates etc, there was always someone to talk to.

Whereas now, just living in a random house, I don't feel "attached" to anything. I just feel like one of millions of other people living a pretty boring and pathetic existence. I have barely any social life, which I don't understand. I have friends in daily life, but they just never seem to want to do anything at weekends etc. So I feel really isolated. Whereas it seems like most people go out most weekends etc - I just don't understand where they meet people to do this. I guess maybe Facebook etc gives an exaggerated sense of others' social lives. But yeah, my life is just very dull and boring. I'm also single, which I think makes a huge difference. Having a partner would give a huge social focus to my life, I guess.

Wow, that was depressing.
British people love stability I guess.

And I know that feeling, in reality I think the best years are 18-25. The best thing is having financial clout and then the freedom to use it. Which you get around 18-25 but don't get afterwards because of family commitments etc. But in each stage of life there are advantages.

But I don't want to live past 70 if I'm not rich and am struggling to move about.
Reply 5
@ OP, That's why you need to become financially free, aka focus on becoming wealthy. It's the only way to be free in the world.

Then you can do what you want, when you want, travel where you want, buy what you want, have the ability to significantly help people, meet different kinds of people....

Money = happiness.
Anyone who tells you differently just wants to think that because they don't have it. (I liken it so a guy who fails to get the girl he's after and goes around telling everything 'pfft she was a b1tch anyways'...)
I'm 25 and feel that way but, honestly, I don't have everything and nor does it look like I do from the outside. My life kind of fell apart after university. I was always smart and successful in school/college/uni but after graduating and living in the real world I've started to see life/the world so much differently. Just going from crappy job to crappy job and wondering what it's all about and what all my hard work was for. I worked hard, I was supposed to be successful. But I can barely make above min wage and I live in my parents house. It's a really harsh world we live in today. I'm constantly worried about money/financial security, long term prospects/career destinations, health, lack of relationships/closeness with friends and family and generally feeling alone.

I feel like my 20's have been all about having my expectations torn to pieces and having my optimism and naive hopefulness stamped on.

I think I was never to worried about the future when I was in uni because adulthood was just a concept and it seemed so far away. Now it's a reality that I'm living in, and it's a horrible reality - even after doing everything the 'right' way (working hard, going to uni etc) it's turned out like this, it makes me wonder whether I should just do things the 'wrong way' from now on. I'm sincerely hoping that what I'm feeling is normal at this point in my life and that it's just 'growing pains' because if this is what the rest of adulthood feels like then life is **** and I don't really see the point in pretending otherwise like everyone else does.

Ha I'm basically like you but older. In a dead-end job, no future, nothing. Yet I was an 'exemplary student' and passed Uni with a 2:1!!! lol. I can relate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8

Regularly.

But then there are plenty of high points as well.
Original post by iAmanze
@ OP, That's why you need to become financially free, aka focus on becoming wealthy. It's the only way to be free in the world.

Then you can do what you want, when you want, travel where you want, buy what you want, have the ability to significantly help people, meet different kinds of people....

Money = happiness.
Anyone who tells you differently just wants to think that because they don't have it. (I liken it so a guy who fails to get the girl he's after and goes around telling everything 'pfft she was a b1tch anyways'...)

What a load of rubbish.
Reply 10
Learn another language persue a career that'll make u good money and will provide u with a job nearly
Every country u go to. Travel and learn new cultures, find a partner settle down what more u want? Family is everything and God.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shawn_o1
What a load of rubbish.

I'm certain you do not deserve my time, but in the slight off-chance that you say have something half useful to say, explain in which way.

Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean you have to - don't conform to societies pressures
it is bad, 16 years of ur life in education then 50 years in dead end jobs. if u can get one. if u can't its workfare buddy. How perfect is one suppose to be in this neo liberal world
Reply 14
I'm 24 and putting off starting 'real life' cos I'm petrified I'll blink and be 55 in a dead end office job wanting to hang myself. So I've decided not to concede to what everyone expects of me, and I'm going to another degree in September so I can pursue a career I'll actually be interested in, and this year I'm going travelling so I can actually see the world I live in before it's too late.

I think so many people feel disillusioned with life, and it is f*cking hard. But you don't have to live it how other people expect you to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Get a vibe off life. You sound boring lol no offence, love yourself and you'll be alright

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 25 now and my 20s have been woeful so far. Dropped out of business school in the first year with a head injury, ended up sliding under with serious depression and haven't made any real progress at all on the career ladder. Just doing dead end jobs, moving from place to place, losing friends along the way ... but I'm kinda optimistic now. 26-30 will be my peak years because I'm starting to get the ambition back and have the drive and confidence now to get out there and turn **** around.

Some people peak later. It's not a big deal. :smile:

Funnily, I often think how selfish my parents were creating me out of nothing to get shafted left and right. Then I had my kids and felt ninjas purpose - but also extreme guilt I bore them into the same **** machine.

Then I think of all the awesome times I've had in my life - my amazing kids and my amazing partner...

Life is what you make it.

edit: I should mention I'm drunk and on an iphone. Damn autocorrect.
(edited 9 years ago)
Pretty much a lot of uncertainty in your 20s but it doesn't get any easier.

This is what life is.
Original post by Rmcn24
I'm 24 and putting off starting 'real life' cos I'm petrified I'll blink and be 55 in a dead end office job wanting to hang myself. So I've decided not to concede to what everyone expects of me, and I'm going to another degree in September so I can pursue a career I'll actually be interested in, and this year I'm going travelling so I can actually see the world I live in before it's too late.

I think so many people feel disillusioned with life, and it is f*cking hard. But you don't have to live it how other people expect you to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great reply a lot of pressure! Many obsessed from a young age what others think and end up doing things they didn't want and regret it their whole lives

make the change today and do what YOU want!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending