The Student Room Group

Pansexual? Is it a real thing or just attention-seeking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Attention seeking, they probably visit Starbucks often and blog for Vice as well.

Hipster phuckers
I honestly see it as pointless to call yourself pansexual, as it really isn't all that different from bisexuality. Most pansexual people I've met claim the difference comes from being open to trans people, but I'm also open to trans people, yet I'm straight, so yeah, it does seem a little attention seeking.
Original post by Blue_Mason
But could you list any more genders?

Transgender and agender, amongst others.
Original post by shadowdweller
Transgender and agender, amongst others.

I agree that agender is a gender, but transgender isn't.
Original post by Odd socks
"even trans people" whys it so shocking that someone would be attracted to a transgender person?

Because trans people are rare and finding someone whose preference is that must be even rarer.
heterosexuality:- is this a real thing or are straight boys just protecting their masculinity?
Reply 26
What about Demisexuals?
the world doesn't need to know what you favour to stick your penis in.
But what kind of people?
Pansexual is a reduntant form of sexuality, I mean if you're attracted to both the physical characteristics of both male and female then why put another label,when what captures your sense of attraction crosses between both genders but it it still falls biologically after one gender?
I mean I could go deeper on this

Every kind of people, that's ever-so-slightly the entire point of calling yourself pansexual. :lol:

Nice assumption that I have a penis by the way. :top:

And why such a focus on genitalia and physical aspects anyways? I really couldn't give a crap about whether there are two genders or twelve: as I've said, I'm attracted to the person, not their sex, gender, shoe size or anything else I find completely irrelevant.
I identify as pansexual. As I'm not attracted particularly to any one gender. I'm
Attracted to their personalities. Usually incredibly smart people.
Original post by superwolf
Every kind of people, that's ever-so-slightly the entire point of calling yourself pansexual. :lol:

Nice assumption that I have a penis by the way. :top:

And why such a focus on genitalia and physical aspects anyways? I really couldn't give a crap about whether there are two genders or twelve: as I've said, I'm attracted to the person, not their sex, gender, shoe size or anything else I find completely irrelevant.

Okay so it more about unconditionally connecting from a mental and emotional standpoint.
Its still quite strange
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:lol: all these labels...

**** who you want. (or don't **** at all)

Pan just reminds me of Fauns...

what are fauns?
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Because trans people are rare and finding someone whose preference is that must be even rarer.

It's got nothing to do with a preference for transpeople or anything, it's to do with being able to be attracted to transgender people!

I puzzled a lot about whether I'd describe myself as pansexual or bisexual for a while - it was never really important to me, but it's useful for description. The reason I considered pansexuality so carefully is because I noticed a lot of exclusively cis attractions in the monosexualities, and the same for a lot of bisexuals. This wasn't the case for me, I'm perfectly capable of being attracted to transpeople as well as cispeople and I don't make any distinction based on gender (that doesn't mean I don't have preferences either way), but rather individual physical features. Similarly to how few people are categorically unattracted to an entire race, but many have a racial preference.

In the end, I just opt for bisexual as my label du jour. I don't feel it's as exclusionary a label as many who identify as pansexual do; everybody understands what you mean; and it doesn't matter to me whether or not my label unequivocally communicates "I am attracted to more than just cismen and ciswomen". Sexuality is a multidimensional spectrum and all that - no label's ever going to describe everyone perfectly accurately, so bisexual is more than fine with me. :tongue: No need to make more life more complex than it needs to be, init?
How did people survive before all these sexuality terms?
Yes it is attention seeking.
"Pansexual" should not be recognized as a form of sexuality in my books.
We only have two genders,and three sexualities whilst your friend falls under bisexuality.

Your life must be so simplistic. There are more than two genders, you're probably confusing gender and sex. Regardless, there are more than two sexes as intersex individuals exist and so do people with rare chromosomal disorders i.e. Klinefelter's syndrome. There are many genders. The ones I think people are most familar with are male, female, and agender. Three sexualities? The main ones are heterosexuality, homosexuality, asexuality, bisexuality and pansexuality...
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm bisexual and I like men and women. Transgendered people, as much as I respect them, don't appeal to me in a sexual way.

Pansexuals seem to not be affected like this and have potential to be attracted to everyone.

I do think it can come across as attention-seeking. But at the end of the day, announcing any sexuality (even if straight) is a way of finding potential partners attention. When I quietly announced I was bisexual, I then got the attention of bisexual and lesbian girls.

For gay/lesbian/bisexuals/asexuals, it's also a way of saying you aren't interested in someone. If you're pansexual, you're simply saying you don't mind and it only comes down to personal preference rather than gender.

So, yes it is attention-seeking, but in a good way.
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Your life must be so simplistic. There are more than two genders, you're probably confusing gender and sex. Regardless, there are more than two sexes as intersex individuals exist and so do people with rare chromosomal disorders i.e. Klinefelter's syndrome. There are many genders. The ones I think people are most familar with are male, female, and agender. Three sexualities? The main ones are heterosexuality, homosexuality, asexuality, bisexuality and pansexuality...

I only tend to recognise the majority of cases, who are clearly born either male or female.
People with pesonal issues just choose to identify in being a pansexual as a way to fit and feel normal
Do such disorders exist in the animal kingdom?
Original post by Iggy Azalea
I'm bisexual and I like men and women. Transgendered people, as much as I respect them, don't appeal to me in a sexual way.

Pansexuals seem to not be affected like this and have potential to be attracted to everyone.

I do think it can come across as attention-seeking. But at the end of the day, announcing any sexuality (even if straight) is a way of finding potential partners attention. When I quietly announced I was bisexual, I then got the attention of bisexual and lesbian girls.

For gay/lesbian/bisexuals/asexuals, it's also a way of saying you aren't interested in someone. If you're pansexual, you're simply saying you don't mind and it only comes down to personal preference rather than gender.

So, yes it is attention-seeking, but in a good way.

If you're bisexual and not attracted to trans people then that's because you are transphobic and not because of your sexuality.

Trans women are WOMEN. Trans men are MEN. (Trans agender people are agender... and so on.)

If you don't want to date transgender people that's your thing, but don't say it's because you're bisexual and not pansexual. Bisexual people are attracted to two or more genders. The difference between them and pansexual people is that often bisexual people have a preference for a gender. Mostly, pansexual people call themselves pansexual because they don't care about gender at all.
Yeah, pansexuals are attracted to all genders! All two of them...

So they aren't just bisexual... how?
Original post by FrauBecca
If you're bisexual and not attracted to trans people then that's because you are transphobic and not because of your sexuality.

Trans women are WOMEN. Trans men are MEN. (Trans agender people are agender... and so on.)

If you don't want to date transgender people that's your thing, but don't say it's because you're bisexual and not pansexual. Bisexual people are attracted to two or more genders. The difference between them and pansexual people is that often bisexual people have a preference for a gender. Mostly, pansexual people call themselves pansexual because they don't care about gender at all.

And I guess I'm a misogynist because I'm not attracted to women...
I only tend to recognise the majority of cases, who are clearly born either male or female.
People with pesonal issues just choose to identify in being a pansexual as a way to fit and feel normal
Do such disorders exist in the animal kingdom?

Interesting you should mention animals: various species of fish, such as the hawkfish, are able to switch between male and female pretty much at will. It's interesting stuff, and I'd love if humans could do the same (if only because it would massively piss off a whole bunch of bigots :lol:).

Since you only recognise the majority of cases, and ignore the interesting minority, does this extend to other parts of your life? For example, houses don't normally catch on fire in the majority of cases, so why have a fire brigade? People aren't usually blind, so why train guide dogs? Etc. etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending