The Student Room Group

Further Maths in extra year

I am doing an extra year at 6th form, and are finishing Maths this year. I'm aiming to do Maths and Psychology at uni and want to continue doing Maths in my extra year without resitting it. I was thinking of doing Further Maths AS in my extra year as well as my subjects I'm carrying through to A2. However, my maths teacher has said to me that some uni's may look down at that as it would say that i wasn't ready to do it in the first place, is this true and what can i do instead?
Original post by AlexRBeaver
I am doing an extra year at 6th form, and are finishing Maths this year. I'm aiming to do Maths and Psychology at uni and want to continue doing Maths in my extra year without resitting it. I was thinking of doing Further Maths AS in my extra year as well as my subjects I'm carrying through to A2. However, my maths teacher has said to me that some uni's may look down at that as it would say that i wasn't ready to do it in the first place, is this true and what can i do instead?

Perhaps I have misunderstood what you are saying your maths teacher said ... If I am not then they are talking nonsense

In fact the reverse is true ... Universities would be less likely to make an offer if you were no doing more maths in Y14

If you are concerned that your teacher may be right I suggest calling the universities you are considering and asking their thoughts on the matter
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
Perhaps I have misunderstood what you are saying your maths teacher said ... If I am not then they are talking nonsense

In fact the reverse is true ... Universities would be less likely to make an offer if you were no doing more maths in Y14

my school teaches C1, C2, M1, S1, D1, and FP1 in the first year, and then the rest in the second year, so by doing AS further maths I'd end up redoing the C1, C2 and M1 modules, which my teacher said wouldn't look good on me, do you happen to know anything about that by any chance?
my school teaches C1, C2, M1, S1, D1, and FP1 in the first year, and then the rest in the second year, so by doing AS further maths I'd end up redoing the C1, C2 and M1 modules, which my teacher said wouldn't look good on me, do you happen to know anything about that by any chance?

You wouldn't need to retake C1, C2 and M1. Your school can't make you attend those lessons as you will just be wasting your and the teacher's time. Even if you got 100% in the exams, it won't count for anything as you can't count the same module twice.

That would be nonsense ... Why would you redo the units that you have already done

ASfurther maths would need you to do 3 units ... Are you saying the your school would insist that you re-do AS maths in order to do AS further maths ... If so that is ridiculous
I would ask some universities, I do further maths and was told it was a great one to have as is thought to be one of the hardest! I was also told depending on course taken at university some of them drop the grades needed so easier to get in! Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest