The Student Room Group

A-Levels that can be mastered by rote learning

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AsandaLFC
This is annoying. This is super annoying. you cant get an A for physics with rote learning. Im sure u never gotten a B. In my school no one has ever gotten an A in physics for the past 3yrs

Posted from TSR Mobile

But also, I don't really see how you can use the an anecdotal statement that no one has got an A grade in Physics at your school as an argument against other people getting an A, or above. Maybe the fact you clearly require rote learning to succeed should exemplify what you need to start working on?
Maths chem bio and probably history

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vimto39
But also, I don't really see how you can use the an anecdotal statement that no one has got an A grade in Physics at your school as an argument against other people getting an A, or above. Maybe the fact you clearly require rote learning to succeed should exemplify what you need to start working on?

Umh this. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biology, psychology, history

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
The current standard of A levels is shamefully low, so pretty much they are designed for rote learning.
Even very low ability students can achieve which is alright because at least half the UK universities are truly bad.

Even in cognition exams such as MATHEMATICS STEP there is a big element of rote these days...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by TeeEm
The current standard of A levels is shamefully low designed, so pretty much they are designed for rote learning.
Even very low ability students can achieve which is alright because at least half the UK universities are truly bad.

Even in cognition exams such as MATHEMATICS STEP there is a big element of rote these days...

Oh come off it there's no way you can get any good grade in STEP with rote learning unless you are already talented at maths. It's very much inaccessible to most so they wouldn't even begin to understand what to rote learn.
Reply 26
Original post by TVIO
Oh come off it there's no way you can get any good grade in STEP with rote learning unless you are already talented at maths. It's very much inaccessible to most so they wouldn't even begin to understand what to rote learn.

My personal experiences tell me otherwise but I have to respect your opinion and views as your experiences might be different to mine.
Reply 27
Original post by TeeEm
My personal experiences tell me otherwise but I have to respect your opinion and views as your experiences might be different to mine.

From what I've seen of you around the forum, aren't you an incredibly talented mathematician? STEP was completely indecipherable for me for a long time until I started to get into that mindset. The questions vary enough so that rote learning can't help you unless you already understand the general gist of it (don't they?). To be fair, I'm just getting started with STEP but it really doesn't feel like it can be rote learned (unlike normal maths/further maths a levels)
A-Level Computing for sure
Reply 29
Original post by TVIO
From what I've seen of you around the forum, aren't you an incredibly talented mathematician? STEP was completely indecipherable for me for a long time until I started to get into that mindset. The questions vary enough so that rote learning can't help you unless you already understand the general gist of it (don't they?). To be fair, I'm just getting started with STEP but it really doesn't feel like it can be rote learned (unlike normal maths/further maths a levels)

Firstly I wish you success with STEP ...

Secondly with regards to the subject I never said STEP is exclusively rote learned. But using your own words "I started to get into that mindset", you interpret the feeling as mindset,
I wonder is this mindset perhaps has an element of rote. (familiarity)

I cannot remember who said that (Von Newman I think)

... you cannot truly understand high level maths...
... you just get used to it ...

I certainly can relate to that, because I have definitely experienced it but then again I consider myself a rote learner.

All the best again with your exams
Reply 30
Original post by TeeEm
Firstly I wish you success with STEP ...

Secondly with regards to the subject I never said STEP is exclusively rote learned. But using your own words "I started to get into that mindset", you interpret the feeling as mindset,
I wonder is this mindset perhaps has an element of rote. (familiarity)

I cannot remember who said that (Von Newman I think)

... you cannot truly understand high level maths...
... you just get used to it ...

I certainly can relate to that, because I have definitely experienced it but then again I consider myself a rote learner.

All the best again with your exams

In this case, I'll bow to your superior knowledge and hope it can be rote learned so I can meet my offer!
Reply 31
Maths.
Biology and Geography

Quick Reply

Latest