The Student Room Group

Three A levels

Hi guys

I used to do 4 as levels which were further maths, maths, economics and physics. I've now dropped further maths because I found it a bit hard. So now I'm doing maths, physics and economics.

Now that I'm doing only three as levels and a levels I was wondering if I (hypothetically) get A* A A in both as and a level, would I have a chance of making it into any good Russel group uni like Lse or Ucl?

Thanks guys
i think for some unis you need 4 as levels, just take up a easy AS (like business) in your second year.
so you leave with 3 A2 1AS
Yes most definitely, though I would proceed with caution as last year I also did 3 As levels got good grades and I knew I wanted to do medicine by the end of my first year however most Universities require 4 As levels to be taken for medicine so I had to pick up an As level this year which is really hard to juggle mostly because I can only attend 3/5 lessons a week due to clashes with my A2 classes. So essentially my advice to you is to look carefully at the entry requirements of the course(s) your going to do University then make an informed decision after the fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I've talked to all my teachers and they all said it's a bad idea to take up a 4th as I'm the second year for some reason :/
Reply 4
In theory, it's totally possible to get into LSE and such with 3 A Levels as not all schools do 4, however these days UCL and LSE etc are getting as competitive as Oxbridge so 4 may be the norm for that type of applicant. However I did 3 after dropping my fourth and found it immensely easier and more manageable as I could concentrate all my energy on what I was doing well at and not have to make my good grades suffer to bring a struggling subject up to mediocre level. I've got offers from the Russell Groups I've applied to with 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by LilyZo
In theory, it's totally possible to get into LSE and such with 3 A Levels as not all schools do 4, however these days UCL and LSE etc are getting as competitive as Oxbridge so 4 may be the norm for that type of applicant. However I did 3 after dropping my fourth and found it immensely easier and more manageable as I could concentrate all my energy on what I was doing well at and not have to make my good grades suffer to bring a struggling subject up to mediocre level. I've got offers from the Russell Groups I've applied to with 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mind me asking which unis you've got offers to.

thanks
Majority of Russell group unis only ask for 3 Alevels anyway unless you're applying for something very competitive like medicine. My school doesn't even offer 4 Alevels so I wouldn't worry about it.
You will be considered for most russel group universities with those grades, but some won't consider you, especially for certain courses. One piece of advice is to prepare a better explanation of why you dropped further maths than "it was a bit hard". The significance of dropping further maths depends on the course you apply for. If it's maths related, it will hurt your application.

Quick Reply

Latest