The Student Room Group

People in their late 20's or older, what does society expect of you ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
That, frankly, is scary. Slow down!

:lol: If I wasn't a dog lover, I'd wholeheartedly agree!
By the time you're 30, most people expect you to have settled down, got on with your career, perhaps even beginning to have children too etc...I care little for social conventions.

"Society is a made-up formula of what we are supposed to be, kept alive by those who believe in it...I laugh in the ugly face of society, with all its fabricated dimensions."

Some quote I saw online, haha :smile: xx
Original post by Sulpha
Well done on your situation, sounds like you're doing very well for yourself.

It's not something that concerns me personally, I know far too many miserable people who fell for the expectations for fear of appearing different and are now trapped in careers, relationships, cities etc that they hate.

I've always been one for laughing at the sheep of society so it doesn't bother me, just simple curiosity.

Fair enough. And thankyou :smile:

Yeah, it's that bit I've bolded that I had in my head when I first posted - likewise, I know people who have done things that they probably wouldn't have done but for expectation, and now they're miserable with the choices they made. That's all.
Reply 23
Why do you care what the society expects
Hi - I just turned 25 last month - and I swear I am having a midlife crisis - I evaluate everything. And I think it's because I am never 100% sure of my decisions.

I graduated at 23, got married 3 months after to someone I had been dating for 2 years - and have been working ever since and fighting with my partner on a daily basis.

I defo felt pressured to get married - as 1) he is older than me by 4 years and wanted to settle down etc and 2) it was ' the next stage '.

I write this because I just want to say ( because I secretly wish I wasn't so brain washed before and someone would have said it to me) but take your time to figure out what YOU want in life. What works for one person, doesn't mean it will work for you, Dick or Fred. There is a time and purpose for everything to happen and it will happen when the time is right. Enjoy life -

I don't like to regret things - but I do regret conforming to societies expectations - I should have graduated, delayed love - and just enjoyed life. Maybe then I wouldn't be questioning every decision I make on a daily basis - and run out of the flat every morning to find my bliss (alone).

Good luck.

Anonymous - because I have many friends on here.
Original post by *pitseleh*
I get why you're asking this, but I have to ask: why do you care? Hitting life's landmarks at a specific time because society 'expects' you to sounds like a recipe for a pretty miserable existence.

high five lad!
Original post by HarryDn
My looks is something that I know I am good in. I have looked at a 1,000 mirrors in every angle imagineable. I have measured my face, my nose - width ratio etc... I have studied what makes people attractive.

I know that I am good in my looks.

You just made my day.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
high five lad!

*lass

But thankyou. :^_^:
Well I'm nearing mid-20s and I couldn't give the remotest crap what people think I should be doing at this point in my life and I'm pretty sure I'll feel the same in my 30s.
*lass

But thankyou. :^_^:

okay then.

hmmm apologies for my boldness but would yeh wana have a wee chat some time via skype or whatnot

good dmc is well overdue :cool:
okay then.

hmmm apologies for my boldness but would yeh wana have a wee chat some time via skype or whatnot

good dmc is well overdue :cool:

I used to have Skype, but it crashed and dropped calls so often that I made it go away.

You can always DM on here though! :five:
I used to have Skype, but it crashed and dropped calls so often that I made it go away.

You can always DM on here though! :five:

made it go away:tongue:

can imagine you telling your pet skype to run away from his owner

anyhow ah dm isnt the same if im honest..but sure cheers for the offer!
sure if yeh change your mind let us know:biggrin:
made it go away:tongue:

can imagine you telling your pet skype to run away from his owner

anyhow ah dm isnt the same if im honest..but sure cheers for the offer!
sure if yeh change your mind let us know:biggrin:

Haha, that's me alright. :yep:
All I know is, apparently at 22 you're not supposed to be asking your parents for permission to go to the gym. The rest, as they say, is history
Well I'm 28, never had a girlfriend and still a virgin. I think most people just pity me now tbh.

On the career front I'm changing it, I'm going back to university so probably wont graduate till I'm in my mid-early 30's. To say I'm an oddball for my age group would be a bit of an understatement.
Meh, I am 35, been there and done that. Believe me, if it doesn't all happen for you, you didn't miss much. Each to their own.
Original post by poison ivii
Meh, I am 35, been there and done that. Believe me, if it doesn't all happen for you, you didn't miss much. Each to their own.

I don't mean this rudely, but would you include having a child in that?
Reply 37
Original post by Anonymous
Hi - I just turned 25 last month - and I swear I am having a midlife crisis - I evaluate everything. And I think it's because I am never 100% sure of my decisions.

I graduated at 23, got married 3 months after to someone I had been dating for 2 years - and have been working ever since and fighting with my partner on a daily basis.

I defo felt pressured to get married - as 1) he is older than me by 4 years and wanted to settle down etc and 2) it was ' the next stage '.

I write this because I just want to say ( because I secretly wish I wasn't so brain washed before and someone would have said it to me) but take your time to figure out what YOU want in life. What works for one person, doesn't mean it will work for you, Dick or Fred. There is a time and purpose for everything to happen and it will happen when the time is right. Enjoy life -

I don't like to regret things - but I do regret conforming to societies expectations - I should have graduated, delayed love - and just enjoyed life. Maybe then I wouldn't be questioning every decision I make on a daily basis - and run out of the flat every morning to find my bliss (alone).

Good luck.

Anonymous - because I have many friends on here.

thanks to the magic of divorce you could have another chance if you want it. much tougher if you have kids though.
Reply 38
Not sure how people of this up and coming generation are going to be able to afford children, mortgages and marriage...

Given the ludicrous price of property, rising cost of living, divorce rates, less opportunities for graduates and the new and improved student loan debts that are big than our parents mortgages to start with.

Things are going to start to look a lot different in the future. I hold not illusions for myself despite a future of graduating from a top course in an 'RG uni' I will mostly likely not be able to afford a decent home that I can call my own, will only be able to afford to raise one child and cannot rely on marriage to help shape my future.
Reply 39
Original post by mikeyd85
:ninja:

To join

Spoiler

:ninja:

More seriously though, I've been with a lass for 3 months and everyone is already asking when I move in / marry / impregnate her...

Do you think you're going to succumb to the pressure Mikey? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending