The Student Room Group

Being told to smile or "cheer up luv" on the street by men

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Precious Illusions
Maybe it's cos we have resting bitchface syndrome? :moon: it is annoying though, I'll be grumpy if I want to be :angry:

Huh? whats a resting bitchface syndrome?:biggrin:
Original post by Lularose83
YES I hate it when you walk past a stranger and they look at you expecting a smile or acknowledgement.

Its weird, because i walk around smiling at people just randomly and some people smile back while others stare at me in horror hah

Its weird, because i am weird.:cool:
Original post by Jasminem97
I get comments like "Lookin' good pretty" or "Alright Babe" by old men/builders/chavs when waiting at the sixth form bus stop. :confused:
I wish I got comments like "Cheer up" Instead:rolleyes:

Lol most girls get those as well :rolleyes:. And I think those sort of comments are actually meant to be compliments most of the time. But this thread isn't about that :wink:.
Original post by Precious Illusions
Maybe it's cos we have resting bitchface syndrome? :moon: it is annoying though, I'll be grumpy if I want to be :angry:

Lmao I know I definitely do :lol:. If I'm actually grumpy they'll get a nasty response :angry:
Original post by louieee
not everything has to be so personal, I think if people were more welcoming and appreciative of other people our country would be a much happier place. All those people on the bus with a frown, well we all know a friendly compliment would turn that upside down.

Myself, I'd love for an elderly person to tell me to cheer up when I'm down in the dumps because of some petty coursework or something other. It helps you to see the bigger picture: all these people out there living their lives, buskers on the streets yet everybody walking round looking down focusing only on how ****e the weather is, then BAM "cheer up lass, the grey clouds will pass quicker if you give a gust of joy" and suddenly we all realise how foolish we are for choosing to do things which make our mouths droop at the corners when it's just so easy to bend it upwards and open slightly when you look a fellow human in the eyes. It's not that hard.

Thats actually very true. well said.:smile:
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Lmao I know I definitely do :lol:. If I'm actually grumpy they'll get a nasty response :angry:

Lmao same I always look like I'm giving people dirty looks, it's just my face ffs :rofl:
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
Its weird, because i walk around smiling at people just randomly and some people smile back while others stare at me in horror hah

Its weird, because i am weird.:cool:

Haha I do that as well! When I'm in a really good mood I randomly smile at people, most of the time they just give me a weird look though.
I suffer from a severe case of Resting Bitchface syndrome and have encountered this a fair amount. I tend to respond with a standard issue 'Piss off'.
I think its a form of bullying...
It seems to me like we're all just a bit disconnected from humanity and would rather focus on being sad than being appreciative at another human being wishing you happiness
Original post by Birkenhead
I suffer from a severe case of Resting Bitchface syndrome and have encountered this a fair amount. I tend to respond with a standard issue 'Piss off'.

cheer up.
I'm a dude and I've had this before ("cheer up, mate").

As if being told how to arrange my face by some cretin in sweatpants is going to brighten my day.
Original post by louieee
cheer up.

It works best if you say 'piss off' with a smile and in a cheery manner :smile:
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Anyone else really fed up with being constantly told to cheer up or to smile by complete strangers? :angry: It always seems to be scummy old men or chavs who feel like they can say this :indiff:

I used to find it funny and awkward but it's happening most times I go out now. It's especially annoying because I'm actually really happy. Are we just meant to be walking along the street grinning all the time? :rolleyes:

Have any guys had this happen to them? Is it only men that say this or has a woman said something similar to you?

hahah cheer up luv xD

theres research done into this sorta thing.

lad culture developed in the past and its become intertwined into what makes a man.

this is a part of the lad culture.little you can but promote other male identities.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
hahah cheer up luv xD

theres research done into this sorta thing.

lad culture developed in the past and its become intertwined into what makes a man.

this is a part of the lad culture.little you can but promote other male identities.

trying to brighten somebody's day isn't a lad thing m8
bitchy resting face strikes again :awesome:

edit: PI called it before me, semantics shememanticsh
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by og.east
i think you mean "cheer up. it might never happen."

i'm a geezer but sorta the same thing, i get told i look pissed off 99% of the time.

My version is better :sexface:
Original post by louieee
trying to brighten somebody's day isn't a lad thing m8

sure is
it's quite obviously internalised misogyny, the most civilised form of objectification. Men don't get it because of the strong silent stoic stereotype they're expected to follow, so addressing their feelings is a faux pas, let them have a **** day. So all in all it's a stupid backwards phenomenon for everyone, people get attention when they don't want it and others don't get attention when they do
I've never told anyone random to cheer up ... I've said it about people that I've worked with or whatever though where you see them every day and they always look miserable. If you're working in a public place you generally have to leave your problems at home and smile your way through the day or it drags everyone down.

Quick Reply

Latest