The Student Room Group

A in Maths when on a D grade

Ok so I really need to get an A in Maths to even be considered getting into Vet School as most of the applications have all A's and A*'s in their GCSE subjects. Ever since Year 8 I have been moved from set 2 to set 3 twice now. Iv'e always struggled in Maths since primary school and it's getting me really worried as it really gets in the way of Physics (I'm doing triple award so there is a lot of Maths). I am absolutely fine with other subjects and could get A's in all easily if I worked really hard. We are doing the higher paper as they've recently changed set 3 to doing higher. Last year I got a B in a mini test but I really think I'm slipping back and struggling more than ever before. Any tips that can work miracles on getting an A and what helped you in GCSE's would be a life saver !
Thankyou
Are there any area's in maths in which you particularly struggle in?
Original post by Aria Enoshima
Are there any area's in maths in which you particularly struggle in?

Algebra, rearranging equations, scale factors basically anything working out equations. I am absolutely fine with foundation its just higher!
Get the cgp revision guide and work through it, do lots of exam papers leading up to your exams, maybe get a tutor if you can afford it/or attend revision classes if your teacher offers them.
There is this CD my school sold that was super helpful with explaining stuff at GCSE, search it on amazon and it'll be the top result - it got a lot of my friends an A* in maths when they were predicted Cs/Bs. Good luck!
Sit down with a pen and paper. Write down everything you find hard. Then grab a revision guide, look up the stuff you don't understand and figure out a method which suits you to solve the equation or whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MeerkatSwag
Get the cgp revision guide and work through it, do lots of exam papers leading up to your exams, maybe get a tutor if you can afford it/or attend revision classes if your teacher offers them.
There is this CD my school sold that was super helpful with explaining stuff at GCSE, search it on amazon and it'll be the top result - it got a lot of my friends an A* in maths when they were predicted Cs/Bs. Good luck!

Whats the CD called, do you know? I have CGP foundation revision guide just need the higher. Its pretty good as my school sells them for £2 each :biggrin:
Reply 6
Revision guides are great as others have said. They really did work miracles for me. Also, lots of practice especially past papers. If you have a revision timetable or going to produce one try to allocate more hours to the subjects you're struggling with that way you will have more time to revise for them. Don't stress about it, you still have plenty of time to get there.
If it makes you feel any better I got 2 D's in my AS geography mocks, but with a bit more revision I managed to get an A at the end of the year. I'm currently predicted an A* for A2, so really with just a bit more work you will be able to achieve an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Horsegirl01302
Whats the CD called, do you know? I have CGP foundation revision guide just need the higher. Its pretty good as my school sells them for £2 each :biggrin:

Might be mathswatch? I've heard that one recommended a lot.
Maths GCSE is a bunch off piss, I struggled really badly ( getting middle C's in the mocks) then on the day(s) I got an A, just work really hard and do all the past papers and you should be fine..... Revise all the stuff you don't know as it comes up 9/10 times

My maths.com and mathwatch DVD are also really good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Izxxx
Revision guides are great as others have said. They really did work miracles for me. Also, lots of practice especially past papers. If you have a revision timetable or going to produce one try to allocate more hours to the subjects you're struggling with that way you will have more time to revise for them. Don't stress about it, you still have plenty of time to get there.
If it makes you feel any better I got 2 D's in my AS geography mocks, but with a bit more revision I managed to get an A at the end of the year. I'm currently predicted an A* for A2, so really with just a bit more work you will be able to achieve an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

How often do you recommend revising. Everday? 1 hour per subject? I have English Literature exams in May and Science in June
Reply 10
It's hard to say as I didn't really revise for GCSE's. I did however start revising for about 4-5 hours every school night and probably 8 hours on weekends science late Jan last year for AS exams

You don't need to do this much work for GCSE's so maybe allocate about 3 hours every night and about 5 on weekends. You need to find out which subjects you find harder and prioritise. Start revising early on though, ideally now or Mid Feb at the latest. You won't be able to cram for Maths there's just too much to remember

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes the CD is called mathswatch! (Sorry for the late reply) ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Literally just watch videos and practice every topic you struggle with using mathswatch or YouTube videos and textbook questions (there's this huge purple one that covers every exam board) and then do practice papers and redo the topics you got wrong and repeat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest