The Student Room Group

NQT job application question

Hi. I'm looking for NQT teaching jobs (secondary English) and I've found one that wants "an experienced, enthusiastic and well qualified teacher".

There is no mention other than this of the sort of level of candidate they're expecting. Does "experienced" and "well qualified" rule out NQTs in this context? Would they have explicitly said if this were the sort of job they'd want an NQT for?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Squoosh25
Hi. I'm looking for NQT teaching jobs (secondary English) and I've found one that wants "an experienced, enthusiastic and well qualified teacher".

There is no mention other than this of the sort of level of candidate they're expecting. Does "experienced" rule out NQTs in this context? Would they have explicitly said if this were the sort of job they'd want an NQT for?

Thanks

You can certainly apply. If they don't want a newly qualified teacher you won't be shortlisted. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the wording of the advert - someone probably just copied an old one.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
You can certainly apply. If they don't want a newly qualified teacher you won't be shortlisted. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the wording of the advert - someone probably just copied an old one.

Sure, but put it this way: the deadline is pretty soon, and I am working flat-out at the moment. As it stands, I am pretty worried that I'm going to be able to get through all the marking and planning I have to do over this weekend. The application form is gargantuan, and at the moment every minute for me counts. I don't want to waste time on it if they're not looking for an NQT.
Sure, but put it this way: the deadline is pretty soon, and I am working flat-out at the moment. As it stands, I am pretty worried that I'm going to be able to get through all the marking and planning I have to do over this weekend. The application form is gargantuan, and at the moment every minute for me counts. I don't want to waste time on it if they're not looking for an NQT.

If you can't be bothered then it's not the job for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
If you can't be bothered then it's not the job for you.

Not sure where you got the idea from that I was lacking in motivation. I stated that I was lacking in time. I don't have a free time at the moment. I don't have breaks, other than the hour it takes me to get to/from school, and the time it takes me to cook my meal in the evening.

My planning and marking take a long time. I know that this will get faster as I improve, but currently I am only just managing to get my enough work done so that I can get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Teaching is the job for me, and that's why I'm reluctant to do a shoddy job on the planning/marking just to make time for the application form, if it turns out it would be redundant.
Why don't you just call them and ask them straight? If they say they're not accepting NQTs, you've saved yourself time and hassle with a simple phone call.
Not sure where you got the idea from that I was lacking in motivation. I stated that I was lacking in time. I don't have a free time at the moment. I don't have breaks, other than the hour it takes me to get to/from school, and the time it takes me to cook my meal in the evening.

My planning and marking take a long time. I know that this will get faster as I improve, but currently I am only just managing to get my enough work done so that I can get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Teaching is the job for me, and that's why I'm reluctant to do a shoddy job on the planning/marking just to make time for the application form, if it turns out it would be redundant.

Unless you intend to postpone job applications until your next school holiday, you are going to need to cut a few corners to manage your workload. The world won't end if you spend less time planning a couple of lessons and it is entirely possible those lessons will be very well received.

I don't know what you expect any of us to say. The only person who knows for sure what message the advert is intended to convey is the person who wrote it. You could ask them, you could apply or you could give it a miss. The choice is yours.

Time spent on an application will not be wasted in any event. Much of the content you produce will be transferable.

I certainly wasn't suggesting you are not cut out for teaching. I was trying to say you don't seem particularly fired up by this post and might like to wait until a vacancy comes along that you feel really enthusiastic about.

As you have begun to discover, the workload of teaching can easily expand to fill every waking hour. Make sure you take care of yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Ok, fair enough. I'll probably just go for it and apply, but first I need to decide whether it's going to be feasible to pass my driving test this summer...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending