The Student Room Group

Being told to smile or "cheer up luv" on the street by men

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trustmeimlying1
sure is

don't be silly
Seems like some people here need to get over themselves, cheer up and snap out of it.

After all, it might never happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, whenever it happens I instantly cheer up and all my frivolous worries instantly fade away. Obviously. :indiff:
I've had it before, said by both men and women

That being said, each time I've had the face like I was just going to murder the next person who walks past me, cause I've been pissed off at something a few hours before.

In that context, I don't really mind it at all (But, I don't get that comment often!)
Original post by iammeyouareyou
I don't think I've ever been told to cheer up by random men on the street. Although somebody did once say to me 'Cheer up it might never happen' which was annoying.

What actually is it that they mean might never happen?
I get this a lot.

Apparently I always look grumpy :tongue:.
Reply 86
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Anyone else really fed up with being constantly told to cheer up or to smile by complete strangers? ...
Do as I do and so "ok, tell me a joke", puts the spotlight on them to perform.

They will either perform, which will be good, or, more likely have nothing ... continue silently looking at them, their smile (whicgh they probably never had anyway) will be gone, then ask them why they are not smiling?
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
it's quite obviously internalised misogyny, the most civilised form of objectification. Men don't get it because of the strong silent stoic stereotype they're expected to follow, so addressing their feelings is a faux pas, let them have a **** day. So all in all it's a stupid backwards phenomenon for everyone, people get attention when they don't want it and others don't get attention when they do

It's almost as bad as fart rape :nopity:
Anyone else really fed up with being constantly told to cheer up or to smile by complete strangers? :angry: It always seems to be scummy old men or chavs who feel like they can say this :indiff:

I used to find it funny and awkward but it's happening most times I go out now. It's especially annoying because I'm actually really happy. Are we just meant to be walking along the street grinning all the time? :rolleyes:

Have any guys had this happen to them? Is it only men that say this or has a woman said something similar to you?

First off: I don't like your use of the word "chav." I am very much in love with a man who was called that when he was young. It's not funny, or cute. Do as you please but so will I addressing it.

Anywho: yes, I always get this. It is actually the nicest thing a random guy you don't know or aren't interested in can say. I've got:

"Come on, smile baby." And his friend said, "Nah, we just gotta MAKE her smile." I'm like :lolwut: but I ignore them and just keep walking. Nothing good can come of responding. But it's better than the other **** I've been told by strange men :laugh:
it's happened to me (I'm a guy) and it was a guy each time.
Original post by Friar Chris

It's almost as bad as fart rape :nopity:

why are quoting the Redpiller to tone down on the feminism 0_0
Anyone else really fed up with being constantly told to cheer up or to smile by complete strangers? :angry: It always seems to be scummy old men or chavs who feel like they can say this :indiff:

I used to find it funny and awkward but it's happening most times I go out now. It's especially annoying because I'm actually really happy. Are we just meant to be walking along the street grinning all the time? :rolleyes:

Have any guys had this happen to them? Is it only men that say this or has a woman said something similar to you?

Cheer up luv.
Original post by TooEasy123
What actually is it that they mean might never happen?

Lol I'm still trying to work that one out myself.

I don't think anyones ever said that to me. Best thing to do is just ignore them and move on, if their chavs, I wouldn't mess with them. He's probably not too far from his rag tag gang of hooligan friend chavs waiting around the corner with baseball bats and such :smile:

not sure if you're serious. the implication is that you look like you're stressing/worried about *something* that might happen. the stranger is telling you it might never happen. so you should cheer up. i hope this has cleared things up for you.
Not the same but I did see some guys walking off and they randomly shouted, from a distance to a girl behind me, "I think you're beautiful" she obviously responds with "thanks" probably so they say nothing more...

And I was pretty perplexed because ive never witnessed that, so I had a "confused face" (Four lions reference) and looked at the guys. They were wondering why I looked at them like that

any way tl;dr creepy men shouting stuff to girls when though it would be a compliment in other scenarios..
Original post by og.east
not sure if you're serious. the implication is that you look like you're stressing/worried about *something* that might happen. the stranger is telling you it might never happen. so you should cheer up. i hope this has cleared things up for you.

Ah, I see. Thanks og.east.

you're most welcome iammeyouareyou

I assumed it was related to finding a boyfriend or something.
I'm a guy and I used to get this all the time when I was a bit younger, not so much now but it still happens once every so often. Both men and women say it. I was once told to cheer up by a guy with one leg, which was mildly amusing I guess considering the circumstances.

A lot of people say that this is a form of objectification or misogyny or whatever, really it isn't. It's much, much simpler than that.

The vast majority of the time, the people who say this to strangers just think that they are being friendly. That's all. There's nothing sinister about it, it doesn't come from any kind of internalised prejudice, it's just people being a bit daft and not realising that what they're doing might be a bit annoying, especially if the person they say it to is actually in a bad mood.

Yeah it's a minor annoyance but at the end of the day it's harmless. It's just a case of people talking before thinking, which you can't stop people from doing. I've heard much worse from strangers than 'cheer up'.

Quick Reply

Latest