The Student Room Group

Chemistry or Economics

I currently take Maths, Physics, Economics and Chemistry at AS-level I am planning to pursue Physics at university, however I am unsure as to what to take at A2; Economics or Chemistry. I know that chemistry and physics go well together but I have read a lot recently about how some physics grads do in fact go into finance and accounting, so I am not sure which to take at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamespaine
I currently take Maths, Physics, Economics and Chemistry at AS-level I am planning to pursue Physics at university, however I am unsure as to what to take at A2; Economics or Chemistry. I know that chemistry and physics go well together but I have read a lot recently about how some physics grads do in fact go into finance and accounting, so I am not sure which to take at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which one do you prefer? In terms of which one would be more useful for a physics degree though, I'd say Chemistry without a doubt.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Which one do you prefer? In terms of which one would be more useful for a physics degree though, I'd say Chemistry without a doubt.

Thanks for the reply! I prefer economics but only slightly, I love them both! I just feel that economics will keep more doors open rather than going purely for science, but also I'm not sure how crucial chemistry will be to physics or if it's even crucial at all.
Thanks for the reply! I prefer economics but only slightly, I love them both! I just feel that economics will keep more doors open rather than going purely for science, but also I'm not sure how crucial chemistry will be to physics or if it's even crucial at all.

What do you mean by "keeping more doors open"?

Chemistry isn't "crucial" for physics, but I think it probably is useful.
Reply 4
It keeps the finance path open, since they like physics grads anyway
It keeps the finance path open, since they like physics grads anyway

Science grads have "open doors" to finance.The only "crucial" subject is Maths.
Decision is completely yours,but as long as you only look at finance prospects, I would suggest economics(despite the fact that I am a chemist):smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for the reply. Would you say drop economics if I wanted to do Natural Sciences?
Thanks for the reply. Would you say drop economics if I wanted to do Natural Sciences?

Definitely,yes.For physics path, maths is enough,but for nat sci you need chem or bio,too:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by trubadur
Definitely,yes.For physics path, maths is enough,but for nat sci you need chem or bio,too:smile:

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaank youuuuuuuu :smile:
Thaaaaaaaaaaaaank youuuuuuuu :smile:

You're welcome.Good luck and may all your dreams come true:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it depends on what you're going to be most comfortable with. Both are very respected A-levels. Which A-level do you think you can get the best grade in? Which are you most interested in?
Reply 11
Original post by TheStudent18
I think it depends on what you're going to be most comfortable with. Both are very respected A-levels. Which A-level do you think you can get the best grade in? Which are you most interested in?

I'm probably better at economics but I find chemistry more interesting. Dilema haha!
I'm probably better at economics but I find chemistry more interesting. Dilema haha!

Yeah, that is quite a dilemma! Haha. Why don't you carry on all four subjects at A2 for a month or so (if your college/Sixth Form allows it) and then drop a subject?

It's the only thing I can think of so you can make a proper decision. But hopefully you'll figure it out! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by TheStudent18
Yeah, that is quite a dilemma! Haha. Why don't you carry on all four subjects at A2 for a month or so (if your college/Sixth Form allows it) and then drop a subject?

It's the only thing I can think of so you can make a proper decision. But hopefully you'll figure it out! :smile:

Good idea! I think I'll do that! Thanks :smile:
Good idea! I think I'll do that! Thanks :smile:

That's alright mate. Hope you get decent AS results.

Chemistry isn't crucial but it will definitely help. There is an overlap and my Chemistry A-level did help with aspects of my physics degree.

You already know you want to do physics, why do you care about keeping doors open? Anyway anything you can do with an economics A-level you can do with a physics/chemistry A-levels.

I would base it down on which one you enjoy most or are better at. I would advice chemistry since it will come in use for your degree where as economics wont really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
As someone who does chemistry and economics at A2 (chemistry degree next year) I would recommend taking both, or economics. Physics at uni is very mathematical and I'm not sure how much chemistry would help. You would manage without.

Economics will give you lifelong knowledge that will be extremely beneficial especially if you go into finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Chemistry isn't crucial but it will definitely help. There is an overlap and my Chemistry A-level did help with aspects of my physics degree.

You already know you want to do physics, why do you care about keeping doors open? Anyway anything you can do with an economics A-level you can do with a physics/chemistry A-levels.

I would base it down on which one you enjoy most or are better at. I would advice chemistry since it will come in use for your degree where as economics wont really.

My 'keeping doors open' mindset was in case I wanted to find a job in finance after uni, even with a physics degree. Would you say it doesn't make a difference if I take economics at A2 or not in terms of finance prospects after a physics degree?
My 'keeping doors open' mindset was in case I wanted to find a job in finance after uni, even with a physics degree. Would you say it doesn't make a difference if I take economics at A2 or not in terms of finance prospects after a physics degree?

High paying finance jobs like physics graduates. It's one of common non physics (you can actually apply physics concepts to predict economic stuff) careers they go into. Maths ability and logical reasoning is desirable in any number crunching/analysis job. Physics has that with knobs on. Someone on my physics course wanted to go into some kind investment prediction thing (I don't really know the specific), he was doing some monte carlo simulation based project which has applications in money stuff apparently. If you decided that is the route you want to go down you could tell your physics staff and they would most likely be able to find something you could do that is applicable and help you get that sort of job.

I don't know how important A-levels are but that position will still be open with a physics degree.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/jul/21/physics-graduates-gravitate-to-finance
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dylann
As someone who does chemistry and economics at A2 (chemistry degree next year) I would recommend taking both, or economics. Physics at uni is very mathematical and I'm not sure how much chemistry would help. You would manage without.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry at uni is very mathematical. Chemistry does help. It isn't vital but it does help with Physics. Havign a good understanding of elements and how they interact with bonds and stuff overlaps with physics. You spend time leanring about orbitals and stuff in a physics degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending