The Student Room Group

What would a UKIP / Green Party coalition look like?

From the thread about the Green Party membership exceeding UKIP and now the LibDems, what if, just what if UKIP and the Green Party come out on top?

Realising this is probably the only chance they get to be in government, they form a coalition.

What would happen for the following five years?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Never happen...
Reply 2
Original post by Quady
Never happen...
It is a hypothetical question; I thought it would make for an interesting five years.
They'd turn into the liberal democrats :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Simes
It is a hypothetical question; I thought it would make for an interesting five years.

OK well fair enough.

Which Green Party?
Reply 5
Now that Ukip suddenly love the NHS they might do something about health. Both of them are parties of the NIMBY's so they'd protect the greenbelt.

On every other issue they'd destroy themselves and the government would collapse by the time the budget rolled around.
Original post by Quady
OK well fair enough.

Which Green Party?

Considering OP is talking about the Green Party's membership which has exceeded the Lib Dems and UKIP, I'm sure we can safely assume the Green Party of England and Wales.
Reply 7
Original post by Killsworth
Considering OP is talking about the Green Party's membership which has exceeded the Lib Dems and UKIP, I'm sure we can safely assume the Green Party of England and Wales.

The Green Party of England and Wales isn't as big as UKIP or the Lib Dems...
Reply 8
I swear putting UKIP and Greens together is like reacting sodium and chlorine?
Reply 9
Original post by flibber
I swear putting UKIP and Greens together is like reacting sodium and chlorine?
Exactly! I suspect they will co-exist quite neatly because their main policies don't overlap.
Original post by Simes
Exactly! I suspect they will co-exist quite neatly because their main policies don't overlap.

+1 for that :biggrin: when I can rep you again
I think this would be a great coalition. Putting the main parties out of government would give everybody a massive wake up call and would surely lead to an improvement in the policies of every party

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spurs9393
I think this would be a great coalition. Putting the main parties out of government would give everybody a massive wake up call and would surely lead to an improvement in the policies of every party

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aren't the Greens the most pro EU party in parliament, while UKIP is the most anti EU party in the House of Commons?
Original post by flibber
Aren't the Greens the most pro EU party in parliament, while UKIP is the most anti EU party in the House of Commons?

I don't know if the EU is a major part of Greens' policy. I'm sure they'd snatch the chance of being in Parliament. Perhaps they would agree to a referendum regarding EU membership

Posted from TSR Mobile
A bunch of people smoking cannabis "because the government has no right to interfere"

I agree, I reject drug taking but I think it should be a right
I don't know if the EU is a major part of Greens' policy. I'm sure they'd snatch the chance of being in Parliament. Perhaps they would agree to a referendum regarding EU membership

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if the majority vote for Britain staying in the EU?
It would be like looking at them dysfunctional couples on Jeremy Kyle where the woman is morbidly obese and the man is tiny and skinny and scared ****less of her
Original post by Simes
From the thread about the Green Party membership exceeding UKIP and now the LibDems, what if, just what if UKIP and the Green Party come out on top?

Realising this is probably the only chance they get to be in government, they form a coalition.

What would happen for the following five years?

A break down in Government.
Original post by Quady
The Green Party of England and Wales isn't as big as UKIP or the Lib Dems...

I apologise. I thought it had as they keep referring to the 2,000+ surge but that is England and Wales only. Albeit, let's assume OP means the Green party of England and Wales. So what is your view on the subject if that was the case?
I don't know if the EU is a major part of Greens' policy. I'm sure they'd snatch the chance of being in Parliament. Perhaps they would agree to a referendum regarding EU membership]

Original post by flibber

A short summary:

"The Green party is committed to a referendum of the EU, but they have not decided which side of the debate they would side with. They want the referendum because they believe that the debate would trigger reform of the EU, however if major reforms are not forthcoming, it seems highly likely that the Greens would campaign for an EU exit, since the structures and objectives of the EU as currently constituted are fundamentally incompatible with the core Green values of democracy and sustainability."

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/73-ukip-voters-green-party.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending