The Student Room Group

What would a UKIP / Green Party coalition look like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Killsworth
I apologise. I thought it had as they keep referring to the 2,000+ surge but that is England and Wales only. Albeit, let's assume OP means the Green party of England and Wales. So what is your view on the subject if that was the case?

No, the 2,000+ 'surge' (nothing compared to the SNP's surge) is accross the three Green parties.

It'd never happen.

Its like asking what would happen if Wayne Rooney became Murray's doubles partner.
Reply 21
Original post by Quady
It'd never happen.
What is it like to have no imagination?
A short summary:

"The Green party is committed to a referendum of the EU, but they have not decided which side of the debate they would side with. They want the referendum because they believe that the debate would trigger reform of the EU, however if major reforms are not forthcoming, it seems highly likely that the Greens would campaign for an EU exit, since the structures and objectives of the EU as currently cofnstituted are fundamentally incompatible with the core Green values of democracy and sustainability."

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/73-ukip-voters-green-party.html

I was quite surprised by this. I had always considered the Greens to be left of Labour and the Lib Dems, and I had thought the trend was the further left you go, the more supportive of the EU you become.

I still think the Greens would be unimpressed by UKIP due to the latter's views on climate change.
Reply 23
Original post by Simes
What is it like to have no imagination?

Well let me try...

David Norwood would be PM and Diane James would be deputy. Farage would be executed by a unionist hit squad before he could make his maiden speech. In his honour Ken Clark is made a lord and invited into the Government as Minister without Portfolio.

The flat tax is brought in with the citizen income replacing benefits. DECC is abolished, all energy companies nationalised and then given to Greenpeace.

The EU is renamed UK, so no referendum is needed. Sterling is set to a fixed 1:1 exchange rate with the rest of the UK.

Greensleves replaces the current national anthem as the monarchy is privitised. The Union flag changed to a set of green hues.

UKIP pull out of the coalition in 2017 having lost their way after the loss of Nigel.
A dream from which you would wake up in a cold sweat.
Original post by Quady
No, the 2,000+ 'surge' (nothing compared to the SNP's surge) is accross the three Green parties.

It'd never happen.

Its like asking what would happen if Wayne Rooney became Murray's doubles partner.

http://greenparty.org.uk/news/2015/01/15/combined-uk-green-parties%E2%80%99-membership-passes-ukips/

Second bullet point - just so you can understand where I got the information from.

"Over 2,000 new Green Party of England and Wales members join in LESS than 24 hours"

But I will end there it there as it doesn't contribute to the thread.

Personally, I'd hate to see a coalition between the two, but I'd like to think the The Green Party (of England and Wales for Quady's sake) would come out on top and would lead to a more 'left' society.
Reply 26
http://greenparty.org.uk/news/2015/01/15/combined-uk-green-parties%E2%80%99-membership-passes-ukips/

Second bullet point - just so you can understand where I got the information from.

"Over 2,000 new Green Party of England and Wales members join in LESS than 24 hours"

But I will end there it there as it doesn't contribute to the thread.

Personally, I'd hate to see a coalition between the two, but I'd like to think the The Green Party (of England and Wales for Quady's sake) would come out on top and would lead to a more 'left' society.

It's still nothing.

The SNP went from 25,000 to 100,000 in two weeks last year.
Original post by Quady
It's still nothing.

The SNP went from 25,000 to 100,000 in two weeks last year.

Cool story, bro.
Reply 28
Cool story, bro.

Untrue story?
Purple + Green = Brown, so it would look like ****.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, you never know. In the Norfolk County Council, there is a coalition comprised of Labour, UKIP, and the Lib Dems; which receives confidence and supply from the Greens. This is all done to send the Conservative Party into the opposition. As far as I know, what UKIP and the Greens have in common is that they want proportional representation, and are seen as one of the largest anti-establishment forces.
Reply 32
It would be great. Half the policy would be UKIP -that loads of people want but think they shouldn't. The other half Green policy that they don't want but think they should.
I think the reanimated corpses of Atlee and Thatcher, along with their respective back benches, would function better than a UKIP-Green coalition.
It would certainly more entertaining than the anti-UKIP propaganda on telly.
Original post by Simes
From the thread about the Green Party membership exceeding UKIP and now the LibDems, what if, just what if UKIP and the Green Party come out on top?

Realising this is probably the only chance they get to be in government, they form a coalition.

What would happen for the following five years?

I don't think I could cope with the slick PR; the stage-managed perfectionism; the lack of spontaneity; the over-rehearsed interviews; the robot-like on-message candidates; the orchestrated encounters with a pre-selected sycophantic audience and the fawning media.

Give me the reckless devil-may-care political risk taking and grass-roots populism of Kim Jong-un any day.
Original post by nulli tertius

Give me the reckless devil-may-care political risk taking and grass-roots populism of Kim Jong-un any day.

Errr... I think you're under a grave misapprehension
Hilarious.
would never happen, our values are the polar opposite of almost all of UKIP's (thank god)
I don't think it'd look good
maybe Greens and Labour would work better together?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending