The Student Room Group

Complex french grammar? For A-Level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by schindlers list
Merci pour votre explication
J'ai parcouru de mon dissertation et en effet j'ai crée pas mal des erreurs.
Est ce que vous pouvez me donner l'aider sur la question svp?

Beyknowles's recommendation of "Mot à mot" and Claros's list are both good answers - can't do better than that apart from to tell you to work on your grammar which is the foundation of everything!
Original post by Anna Schoon
Absolutely right - unfair competition! Your explanation was fine as well, actually; all I did was tackle the same question from the other end. Have you noticed that most teachers are incredibly repetitive? The trick is to say the same thing in different ways so that everyone has a chance of understanding.

I'm married to a teacher and our poor children have a devil of a time.:colondollar:

C'est exact :rolleyes:

Haha, wow, that must be great for them, though? Je leur envie
Original post by Anna Schoon
Beyknowles's recommendation of "Mot à mot" and Claros's list are both good answers - can't do better than that apart from to tell you to work on your grammar which is the foundation of everything!

Thank you i think ive grasped a lot from people here. I was about to do a quick essay and just wondering if you could help me mark it and give me few feedback? Would this be ok for you? Thanks :smile:
Thanks but i already knew all of them
Original post by Claros
Hello again :smile:

Like Beyknowles has said, the subjunctive is really important so I will give some alternative phrases:

Quoi que l'on fasse- Whatever you do
Pour/afin que (+subj)- In order that
Il est important que (+subj) - It's important that
Je crains que (+subj)- I fear that
Je ne crois pas que (+subj)- I don't believe that

Here are some opinion phrases:
J'estime que- I consider that
Je soutiens que- I maintain that
à mon sens- As I see it
Ce qui me préoccupe, c'est- What bothers me is
Je ne peux m'empêcher de penser que- I cannot help thinking that

Disagreement phrases:
Il est peu probable que (+subj)- It's unlikely that
Je remets en cause- I call into question
Personne n'imagine en effet que (+subj)- Nobody really imagines that

Alternatives for 'parce que':
Car- Because
Étant donné que- given that
En raison de- because of
Vu que- considering that
Par suite de- owing to

Here's a bit of useful grammar that you use to hypothesise:
The structure is si+pluperfect+conditional perfect
For example....
Si je n'avais pas fait mes devoirs, j'aurais échoué à mes examens
If I had not done my homework, I would have failed my exams.

Hope these are helpful to you :smile:
Thanks but i already knew all of them

I'm sorry, but if you already knew all of this stuff then what exactly are you looking for?

Edit: I guess you can look here and see if you can find anything new that you could use.
(edited 9 years ago)
Merci pour votre explication
J'ai parcouru de mon dissertation et en effet j'ai crée pas mal des erreurs.
Est ce que vous pouvez me donner l'aider sur la question svp?

As-tu vu mon autre post dans le fil de discussion 'Multilingual and polyglot wannabe thread'?

J'ai dit que la personne qui peut t'aider le plus avec ton dissertation, c'est sans doute ton prof. Il faut utiliser l'aide que ton prof peut t'offrir ! :smile:

EDIT: This goes for this post too:
Thank you i think ive grasped a lot from people here. I was about to do a quick essay and just wondering if you could help me mark it and give me few feedback? Would this be ok for you? Thanks :smile:

Just trying to be as efficiently helpful as possible, your teachers are employed to teach and help you
(edited 9 years ago)
I think im trying to over complicate my essay
I think im looking for phrases which i wouldnt use in english
Mais merci
Original post by Claros
I'm sorry, but if you already knew all of this stuff then what exactly are you looking for?
Wow thanks very much xoxox
Im doing an essay now and i will look to add some of these in
Original post by Claros

Edit: I guess you can look here and see if you can find anything new that you could use.
Yes but i do alot of these and some my teacher cant be always marking it. Just looking for a QUICK alternate. For instance, its friday night, itll take me till monday to give it to her
Original post by beyknowles
As-tu vu mon autre post dans le fil de discussion 'Multilingual and polyglot wannabe thread'?

J'ai dit que la personne qui peut t'aider le plus avec ton dissertation, c'est sans doute ton prof. Il faut utiliser l'aide que ton prof peut t'offrir ! :smile:

EDIT: This goes for this post too:

Just trying to be as efficiently helpful as possible, your teachers are employed to teach and help you
Yes but i do alot of these and some my teacher cant be always marking it. Just looking for a QUICK alternate. For instance, its friday night, itll take me till monday to give it to her

Don't get me wrong, it's all well and good (and preparatory) to try writing essays to improve your structure etc, but you don't want to exhaust yourself to the point that you write up a quick essay on the weekend and you can't even wait until the start of the week for your teacher to mark it for you.

Personally, I would suggest writing no more than 2 essays per week, as you don't want to exhaust yourself, as this may lead to you being fed up closer to exam time.

You appear to be quite stressed out about French (excuse me if this is a misjudgment), if so I will give you one piece of advice, chill out.
I appear stressed but i'm not. I just feel if i dont do any work for 1 week, i'm not progressing. Its January. April is my speaking and months after is my exams. I dont want to mess up. My teacher is already counting weeks =/= months until the exam (lol). I dont think no one in my class is "chilling" at this moment as for french, theres so much to learn. How can i chill? I want to get things to a good standards; where i can acknowledge that ive reached a level where i dont need to do much to reach and A for example.
Have you done your mocks yet? How did it go?
Original post by beyknowles
Don't get me wrong, it's all well and good (and preparatory) to try writing essays to improve your structure etc, but you don't want to exhaust yourself to the point that you write up a quick essay on the weekend and you can't even wait until the start of the week for your teacher to mark it for you.

Personally, I would suggest writing no more than 2 essays per week, as you don't want to exhaust yourself, as this may lead to you being fed up closer to exam time.

You appear to be quite stressed out about French (excuse me if this is a misjudgment), if so I will give you one piece of advice, chill out.
I appear stressed but i'm not. I just feel if i dont do any work for 1 week, i'm not progressing. Its January. April is my speaking and months after is my exams. I dont want to mess up. My teacher is already counting weeks =/= months until the exam (lol). I dont think no one in my class is "chilling" at this moment as for french, theres so much to learn. How can i chill? I want to get things to a good standards; where i can acknowledge that ive reached a level where i dont need to do much to reach and A for example.
Have you done your mocks yet? How did it go?

You most certainly should be chilling. Learning is an experience. You chose French because you enjoy it, it shouldn't stress you out. Over-working yourself will have consequences. Just work enough.

We aren't having French mocks, we have mock essays, though. I've had 2 so far and I have another one at the end of this upcoming week. I've done and will continue to do poorly because I've very lazy and I use the excuse of 'not knowing what to do!' to justify my not doing anything.
I appear stressed but i'm not. I just feel if i dont do any work for 1 week, i'm not progressing. Its January. April is my speaking and months after is my exams. I dont want to mess up. My teacher is already counting weeks =/= months until the exam (lol).

Can I ask what else you're doing to try and improve your grade other than writing essays?
Well essays are a big part of french. Speaking is my strongest point and essay helps to improve that as they interlay together.
However, i'm learning grammar/structure rules at the moment.
Original post by Claros
Can I ask what else you're doing to try and improve your grade other than writing essays?
What should i be doing instead of what i mentioned?
Original post by Claros
What should i be doing instead of what i mentioned?

I understand that you want to do well in your essays and that's good, however you need to remember about the listening and reading sections of the exam. Those together are worth 75 marks out of 110 (along with the small grammar section)- if you can get high marks in this section then you can afford to do slightly worse in your essay (not ideal, but still).

To improve your listening you could listen to the French news for 10 minutes everyday- this has been recommended to me by my teacher and it's really helping me to understand spoken French more easily. It also helps you with your accent when you speak as you become more accustomed to listening to native speakers and mimic the way they speak.

In reading questions they also include a lot of unfamiliar vocabulary- if you've done a past paper you would be familiar with a gap fill task, which requires you to complete sentences using the words given. They will include strange words in there and, if you're unlucky like I was last year, all of these words will be verbs and you won't be able to rely on the structure of the sentence to help you. Therefore, I'd suggest looking through these and making a note of the vocab that appears because it will likely appear again. You could also use these words in your writing, so it benefits that too.

Sorry for this long post, but it's important that you look at other areas of French rather than just the essay.
Are you doing AS?
Also could you send me the past paper for '14?
Original post by Claros
I understand that you want to do well in your essays and that's good, however you need to remember about the listening and reading sections of the exam. Those together are worth 75 marks out of 110 (along with the small grammar section)- if you can get high marks in this section then you can afford to do slightly worse in your essay (not ideal, but still).

To improve your listening you could listen to the French news for 10 minutes everyday- this has been recommended to me by my teacher and it's really helping me to understand spoken French more easily. It also helps you with your accent when you speak as you become more accustomed to listening to native speakers and mimic the way they speak.

In reading questions they also include a lot of unfamiliar vocabulary- if you've done a past paper you would be familiar with a gap fill task, which requires you to complete sentences using the words given. They will include strange words in there and, if you're unlucky like I was last year, all of these words will be verbs and you won't be able to rely on the structure of the sentence to help you. Therefore, I'd suggest looking through these and making a note of the vocab that appears because it will likely appear again. You could also use these words in your writing, so it benefits that too.

Sorry for this long post, but it's important that you look at other areas of French rather than just the essay.
Are you doing AS?
Also could you send me the past paper for '14?

No, I'm doing A2 at the minute. I ended up getting a B overall at AS(damn that 1 UMS) however in mock essays I had been achieving 30+ and did achieve an A in the speaking exam, so if you need any more help in that respect then feel free to ask.

Unfortunately I don't think the June 2014 paper is available to students right now, so I'm afraid I can't really help you there.

Sorry, but I'm rather rushed off my feet at the moment! As beknowles says, you really should be asking your own teacher for this kind of support - marking an essay properly with relevant notes you can learn from takes quite a lot of time and your teacher is paid to do that! Under normal circumstances I'd help but things are a bit hectic here right now.
Hello

If anyone has time would you mind checking the grammar of the following sentences? Thanks!

1) Il est possible que les jeunes ne soient pas conscients que leurs actions ont des conséquences. Dans ces cas il appartient à leurs parents de les encourager de modifier leur comportement.
2) Si les jeunes apprenaient au sujet de la prison à l’école, ils se rendraient compte que les crimes ont des conséquences. Normalement, ils deviennent membres de bandes de crainte qu’ils ne soient blessés.
3) Si on attend, ils auront déjà épuisé. En fait la situation n’améliorera pas, à moins que le gouvernement consacre plus de temps et plus d’argent aux sources d’énergie alternatives.
4)La misère à laquelle la majorité des jeunes dans les banlieues doivent faire face, crée un niveau élevé de criminalité. La prison est souvent plus confortable que la rue donc il est probable que si on leur demandait, on trouverait que la plupart de jeunes ont l’intention d’y envoyé parce que elle offre un lit et la nourriture dont ils ont besoin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending