The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Chances of getting into Cambridge for a PhD (specific case - international)

Hi :smile:

I'm new to TSR, so hopefully I am posting this correctly. Basically, what are my chances of getting into Cambridge for a PhD, given the following:

I am an international student from Ireland, going to a university with a 5 star QS ranking.

I am currently studying a Bsc in Biotechnology, which is a four year undergrad course.

I have done ok in my state exams and got my first choice Uni application (our system is different to the UK), but I studied 7 subjects at higher level ( almost equivalent to A level standard).

I have a very strong track record in science competitions (came 2nd out of 2000) and since that:

I was sponsored to attend the London International Youth Science Forum (held in Imperial), and am setting up my own medical device company, which is supported by national organisations.

I entered a research communications competition in my university and won in my first semester of uni, even though I was the only undergrad to enter (postdocs and lecturers mainly).

I am heavily involved in science outreach in the university, and have done 2 summers relevant work and have gotten a summer placement in a lab this year also.

Basically, from the above, given that I'm still only 17, if I keep going will I be in with a decent chance? Will the fact that I'm an international student go against me? Any help/advice/guidance is greatly appreciated :biggrin: :biggrin: thanks so much!! :smile:
Reply 1
Age and nationality are irrelevant, although nationality may matter for some funding agencies. How are you doing in your course? If you are doing fairly well (preferably on track for a first) in your course, you will probably have a decent shot as long as you have a solid research proposal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Zefiros
Age and nationality are irrelevant, although nationality may matter for some funding agencies. How are you doing in your course? If you are doing fairly well (preferably on track for a first) in your course, you will probably have a decent shot as long as you have a solid research proposal.

I'm on track for a first at the moment. thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by sherlock&science
Hi :smile:

I'm new to TSR, so hopefully I am posting this correctly. Basically, what are my chances of getting into Cambridge for a PhD, given the following:

I am an international student from Ireland, going to a university with a 5 star QS ranking.

I am currently studying a Bsc in Biotechnology, which is a four year undergrad course.

I have done ok in my state exams and got my first choice Uni application (our system is different to the UK), but I studied 7 subjects at higher level ( almost equivalent to A level standard).

I have a very strong track record in science competitions (came 2nd out of 2000) and since that:

I was sponsored to attend the London International Youth Science Forum (held in Imperial), and am setting up my own medical device company, which is supported by national organisations.

I entered a research communications competition in my university and won in my first semester of uni, even though I was the only undergrad to enter (postdocs and lecturers mainly).

I am heavily involved in science outreach in the university, and have done 2 summers relevant work and have gotten a summer placement in a lab this year also.

Basically, from the above, given that I'm still only 17, if I keep going will I be in with a decent chance? Will the fact that I'm an international student go against me? Any help/advice/guidance is greatly appreciated :biggrin: :biggrin: thanks so much!! :smile:

17 and you aready think of a PhD :eek: I didn't even know what was a master at your age. Chill out you have plenty of time.
The university you're going doesn't matter. You must have good grades, and build a good professional relationship with two academics who will write recommendation letters for you. In your last year, you will probably have the possibility to write a dissertation/thesis, do it and get the best mark possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending