The Student Room Group

Good A-level choices?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by em.d_4
But literally no where accepts general studies. You know that's just a way schools use to fill students time right?

Yes, well I'll have to choose a 4th but it won't be history or English as its too much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by _Charlotte15
Yes, well I'll have to choose a 4th but it won't be history or English as its too much

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really isn't, i did 4 A levels to completion along with 2 jobs and dancing. It's about balancing your time. At no point in 6th form bar perhaps during my A2 exams did i feel even a little pushed for time. I went out loads, watched a tonne of TV etc.
I'm not saying everyone should do 4 at A2 but at AS absolutely! And picking a 'softer' subject is not always advantageous, often they end up needed the most work throughout the year and take up a lot more time even if it is easier.
Unless you want to pursue textiles later that should be your 4th really. If you'd like to do languages look at English or another language.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
French, textiles, ethics & philosophy??

If you are planning to go to uni they are unlikely to be very competitive at the better Uni's since French is the only one considered a core subject and they tend to think of better candidates to have at least 2 core.
Original post by em.d_4
It really isn't, i did 4 A levels to completion along with 2 jobs and dancing. It's about balancing your time. At no point in 6th form bar perhaps during my A2 exams did i feel even a little pushed for time. I went out loads, watched a tonne of TV etc.
I'm not saying everyone should do 4 at A2 but at AS absolutely! And picking a 'softer' subject is not always advantageous, often they end up needed the most work throughout the year and take up a lot more time even if it is easier.
Unless you want to pursue textiles later that should be your 4th really. If you'd like to do languages look at English or another language.

Okay thanks for the advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MutlohJ
If you are planning to go to uni they are unlikely to be very competitive at the better Uni's since French is the only one considered a core subject and they tend to think of better candidates to have at least 2 core.

Well that's news to be as ethics and philosophy I was told is a core subject also

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MutlohJ

Anyway, ethics and philosophy is highly regarded as is French so it's not as though it's a 'soft' subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Well that's news to be as ethics and philosophy I was told is a core subject also

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://successatschool.org/advicedetails/204/What-is-a-Facilitating-Subject

check out that link. That's the subjects competitive universities consider to be relevant and they recommend you have at least 2 and preferably 3 meaning you can pick 1 or possibly 2 softer or more unusual options basically. This is what i was essentially hinting to in my original post, hope it helps.
Original post by em.d_4

check out that link. That's the subjects competitive universities consider to be relevant and they recommend you have at least 2 and preferably 3 meaning you can pick 1 or possibly 2 softer or more unusual options basically. This is what i was essentially hinting to in my original post, hope it helps.

So basically what you mean is take French, ethics and philosophy and maybe english alongside textiles ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4

General studies is a lot of rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
So basically what you mean is take French, ethics and philosophy and maybe english alongside textiles ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well any of those subjects really geography is probably one of the easier ones, but English would probably be more relevant alongside French and ethics as A2 French includes literature and ethics obviously has lots of essays. Then you could have textiles as something fun at the side. Be warned though subjects like textiles consume more time than the rest of your subjects put together, so you need to be dedicated and not let it overtake everything else!
Reply 50
General studies is a lot of rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha yep i did warn you :wink: It is literally something schools offer to boost their own stats and avoid students ending up with too many frees which everyone knows won't be hugely productive
Reply 51
Anyway, ethics and philosophy is highly regarded as is French so it's not as though it's a 'soft' subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't suggesting it was a soft option as such just that unless you are applying for a course directly relevant to the subject it won't be considered as "core". French however, no matter what course is considered a "core" subject.

You may be severely narrowing down your options by taking the subjects you mentionned. Particularly as you are taking 3(general studies is rarely counted as a subject) including textiles which I would advise against because unless doing a textiles degree will make you look very average.
Original post by em.d_4
Well any of those subjects really geography is probably one of the easier ones, but English would probably be more relevant alongside French and ethics as A2 French includes literature and ethics obviously has lots of essays. Then you could have textiles as something fun at the side. Be warned though subjects like textiles consume more time than the rest of your subjects put together, so you need to be dedicated and not let it overtake everything else!

Thank you for your help!!:smile: and yeah I do textiles now and it's enjoyable but hard work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MutlohJ
I wasn't suggesting it was a soft option as such just that unless you are applying for a course directly relevant to the subject it won't be considered as "core". French however, no matter what course is considered a "core" subject.

You may be severely narrowing down your options by taking the subjects you mentionned. Particularly as you are taking 3(general studies is rarely counted as a subject) including textiles which I would advise against because unless doing a textiles degree will make you look very average.

Okayy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did French Alevel and now do it as part of my degree so i can give you advice there. Why don't you do something like geography that shows more sciency type skills? Also I've heard that subjects like art and thus maybe textiles are A LOT of work at A Level and can take up time from your other subjects.

fyi i did maths latin and french at A2 and classics at As and will probs take further maths for fun at some point in the next few years lol.
Original post by TheWaffle
I did French Alevel and now do it as part of my degree so i can give you advice there. Why don't you do something like geography that shows more sciency type skills? Also I've heard that subjects like art and thus maybe textiles are A LOT of work at A Level and can take up time from your other subjects.

fyi i did maths latin and french at A2 and classics at As and will probs take further maths for fun at some point in the next few years lol.

Thank you, but I despise geography :/ I do history now and enjoy it partly because of my teacher who I know I won't be having next year. Also, I do textiles now and it's a lot of work but I enjoy doing the work a lot so I think enjoying the subject is half the problem isn't it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
I've heard French is quite hard because you have to listen to French radio, vocab tests every week and read French books, but if you are good at it, go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest