The Student Room Group

Those Fat Disabled Scroungers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
To be fair, when you compare the proportion of 'disabled obese' to the proportion of obese who don't claim the gap will be pretty big so only a tiny minority will suffer.

How in the hell does she get ~£200 pounds more than my parents for being a piggy (one mental illness, the other spinifidus).

The tribunal was absolutely correct. This simply strengthens my opinion that food vouchers are needed.

I'll break down these payments for you since I went to a disability conference.

ESA = £72.40 main component. £28.75 Work Component or £35.75 Support Component.
DLA = can vary from £93 a month to £597 a month

How much you get depends on your disability. If your like Stephen Hawking I'd imagine you would get something along the lines of £1065 a month.

So what is DLA for since it can be the largest payment? DLA is basically a care worker.
And what is ESA for since it is still a rather large payment? £72.40 of this is for general living. £35.75 of this is usually for travel expenses like getting a Taxi to the Job Centre because person X cannot use a Bus.

I'll answer your grievance anyway. The answer is based on all disabled people as a whole.

One of these disabled people has got £200 more than your parents because they need that money to hire a Carer to look after them. Care isn't cheap. It costs roughly around £15 a hour for a private Carer. So that is £200 / 15 = 13 hours. You could say that is 2 weeks worth of Care for a disabled person in the UK.

Chances are these 2 fat people need extra assistance washing themselves. So the Care worker will do that. I know its disgusting but Care workers do that for a living. What do you think goes on in old peoples homes?

By the way Rakas I am pretty disgusted that you justified disabled fat people getting named as a scapegoat for the actions of a minority of genuine fat pie eaters who choose to be fat. This really shows your mentality. Your let the genuine disabled suffer just to score political points.

Oh and as for your voucher system. It doesn't surprise me. You would put disabled people in a even further disadvantage who don't live near towns or cities just to score political points. You would ignore disabled home owners with mortgages. You would ignore people who require private care because they have no family. You would ignore people with mental health problems who need to take Taxi's to get to hospital and back.

And before you start barking on about how Conservatism is great please realize that Margaret Thatcher & John Major created the care in the community system. That is incapacity benefit, Disability Living Allowance and Independent Living Fund. They where the builders of this welfare system. So if your complaining about it your complaining about the Tories.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by illegaltobepoor

How much you get depends on your disability. If your like Stephen Hawking I'd imagine you would get something along the lines of £1065 a month.

So what is DLA for since it can be the largest payment? DLA is basically a care worker.
And what is ESA for since it is still a rather large payment? £72.40 of this is for general living. £35.75 of this is usually for travel expenses like getting a Taxi to the Job Centre because person X cannot use a Bus.

I'll answer your grievance anyway. The answer is based on all disabled people as a whole.

One of these disabled people has got £200 more than your parents because they need that money to hire a Carer to look after them. Care isn't cheap. It costs roughly around £15 a hour for a private Carer. So that is £200 / 15 = 13 hours. You could say that is 2 weeks worth of Care for a disabled person in the UK.

Chances are these 2 fat people need extra assistance washing themselves. So the Care worker will do that. I know its disgusting but Care workers do that for a living. What do you think goes on in old peoples homes?

By the way Rakas I am pretty disgusted that you justified disabled fat people getting named as a scapegoat for the actions of a minority of genuine fat pie eaters who choose to be fat. This really shows your mentality. Your let the genuine disabled suffer just to score political points.

Oh and as for your voucher system. It doesn't surprise me. You would put disabled people in a even further disadvantage who don't live near towns or cities just to score political points. You would ignore disabled home owners with mortgages. You would ignore people who require private care because they have no family. You would ignore people with mental health problems who need to take Taxi's to get to hospital and back.

And before you start barking on about how Conservatism is great please realize that Margaret Thatcher & John Major created the care in the community system. That is incapacity benefit, Disability Living Allowance and Independent Living Fund. They where the builders of this welfare system. So if your complaining about it your complaining about the Tories.

What about carers allowance?

hey bruh bumping my post because helps your case if you tl;dr it with a clear concise assertion of your beliefs, as it is everyone thinks you're saying being overweight is a disability worthy of benefits hence why they're jumping on you
I'm jumping out of this debate. You've made no less than two wrong assumptions about me along with sweeping statements. Thanks for the breakdown though, I'll have to see if the parents are claiming all those.

You're either on the spectrum somewhere or a paid activist.
Tories are unbelievable on TSR. You win a argument and there like "your a paid activist!".
Tories are unbelievable on TSR. You win a argument and there like "your a paid activist!".

if you answered my damn quote I would back you up, no need to be rude
Original post by MatureStudent36
You're either on the spectrum somewhere or a paid activist.

why would this breakdown put him on the autistic spectrum :s-smilie:
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
if you answered my damn quote I would back you up, no need to be rude

That was aimed against maturestudent
That was aimed against maturestudent

I understand that but you have ignored my posts in here twice now, when I was supporting your claim.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I understand that but you have ignored my posts in here twice now, when I was supporting your claim.

all im saying is the papers are concentrating on obesity rather than the root causes of disability
The people in your daily mail link were just fat.

Most, not all, but most, fat people are fat by choice.

Is being fat a disability ? yes, it can be for some people
(edited 9 years ago)
Erm being fat doesn't equal being disabled
all im saying is the papers are concentrating on obesity rather than the root causes of disability

The papers are concentrating on obesity as obesity is today what chain smoking was in the 60s without the benefit of taxation for paying for the increased healthcare spending.

You've once again tried to link an issue to disability without speaking from experience.

Can I assume that those fat knackers sweeping up the junk food in Lidl are all disabled? Or should I assume that most just have a bad diet with the fatties developing secondary medical problems due carrying extra weight other than medical problems leading to obesity?

What's the execuse for the massive increase in fat kids? Is that down to an increase in kids being born with disability? Or shall we summise that a lot of fat kids are the result of poor diet and poor excercise.

You claim to try and raise the issues of the disabled, yet you always seem to do this by defending the tyoes of people that are actually taking limited resources away from those who need it.

I don't doubt tat there are some people out there who have become obese through their disabilities.
Or we may conclude that due to the massive increase in obesity across the board, and armed with the knowledge that being fat produces additional health issues, obesity is a driving factor in taking resources Away from the most needy in society.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 34
What's the excuse for the massive increase in gay kids? Is that down to an increase in kids being born with disability?
Wow! There's an exciting claim. Are you suggesting being gay is a second generation deformity as a result of disabled people having children? :eek:
Original post by Simes
Wow! There's an exciting claim. Are you suggesting being gay is a second generation deformity as a result of disabled people having children? :eek:

Typo. For some reason predictive text put up gay instead of fat.
Reply 36
Typo. For some reason predictive text put up gay instead of fat.
That's a shame. A claim like that would have kept us all busy all weekend.
The papers are concentrating on obesity as obesity is today what chain smoking was in the 60s without the benefit of taxation for paying for the increased healthcare spending.

You've once again tried to link an issue to disability without speaking from experience.

Can I assume that those fat knackers sweeping up the junk food in Lidl are all disabled? Or should I assume that most just have a bad diet with the fatties developing secondary medical problems due carrying extra weight other than medical problems leading to obesity?

What's the execuse for the massive increase in fat kids? Is that down to an increase in kids being born with disability? Or shall we summise that a lot of fat kids are the result of poor diet and poor excercise.

You claim to try and raise the issues of the disabled, yet you always seem to do this by defending the tyoes of people that are actually taking limited resources away from those who need it.

I don't doubt tat there are some people out there who have become obese through their disabilities.
Or we may conclude that due to the massive increase in obesity across the board, and armed with the knowledge that being fat produces additional health issues, obesity is a driving factor in taking resources Away from the most needy in society.

The problem with your interpretation on the majority of disability issues is where you immediately use small cases and say the majority of disabled people are like this.

Here your saying fat disabled people are the result of their eating habits from a young age rather than pre-existing PHYSICAL injuries which caused them to be unable to exercise to a huge degree.

Last time you had it in your head that every disabled person claiming benefits must be a fraudster because of the bias ATOS tests. Yet majority of those test where over turned.
The problem with your interpretation on the majority of disability issues is where you immediately use small cases and say the majority of disabled people are like this.

Here your saying fat disabled people are the result of their eating habits from a young age rather than pre-existing PHYSICAL injuries which caused them to be unable to exercise to a huge degree.

Last time you had it in your head that every disabled person claiming benefits must be a fraudster because of the bias ATOS tests. Yet majority of those test where over turned.

I have an obese uncle on disability benfits due to bad knees. His bad knees are the result of his obesity, not the obesity because of bad knees.

I have an Aunty who was obese with chronic back pain resulting in her claiming disability bemfits because she can't work.

Miraculously, since hitting retirement age and being obese for decades, a successful diet has resulted in significant weight loss and lo and behold. No more back problem.

at no time have I ever said disabled people are fraudsters. I have always advocated continual review on an individual basis of the need to claim disability benfits. Exactly what ATOS do now.
(edited 9 years ago)
OP, as a disabled person i couldnt disagree with you more. First, the article didnt mention any pre-existing problems, so those people had got fat cause they couldnt be bothered to exercise. I have very litttle mobility and can only walk about 10mins before i get very sick. Yet i am a size 10 becuase u dont get fat cause of lack of exercise but cause you consumed over the daily requiremented amount. You seem to think that just because someone is disabled they automically have an excuse to be get fat as if they arent capable of controlling what they eat. Yes we are capable to control ourselves. Actaully many disabled people take great pride in what they eat and their weight because usually it is the only thing they can control unless your mentally disabled. I can see from your post that you have the only the best intentions but remember unless your physically disabled you canoot ever really understand, so pls read carefully. Disabled people dont need pity and your reply to that other post about breaking someone legs is a bit insensitive as if someone who has broken legs is helpless. The NHS gives us a LOT of support, we get special exercise routines and diet planner to fit our needs. Becuase of my mobility, i get physiotherapist and free access to swim pool. So if someone did break both their legs, they still would have all the opportunity to be fit and in fact they would HAVE to, to build upper body strength and be independent
fat people were healthy once but most of them just eat until they get disabled and even then they can loss weight and be normal again. I cant and will never be and you know what? I am ok with that. Despite what media tells you, many disabled dont wallow in self pity but get on with life and therefore should be treated like everyone else. If you dont expect a abled body person to get fat than dont expect disabled person either expect mental ones that different. Peace.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply