The Student Room Group

I understand that UK belongs to the people of UK, but...

Poll

Is the government going overboard with immigration policies?

Here's the thing. I perfectly understand that nationality can be a subject of partiality in jobs, and that international students have to pay more fees, etc. But as an international student in the UK, I just feel that the situation here is getting way off hand! Just an example - I've literally (and I'm definitely not joking or exaggerating) sent out more than 120 job applications, all of who have mentioned on their website that they welcome international applicants (and provide visa sponsorship). Then I get rejected from most of them, which makes me doubt about myself. Then I find out later that I've been rejected on visa grounds, due to 'recent internal policies'. So is all this 'diversity and inclusiveness' just for a show? Then why put it up on the website in the fist place? These are really big and well-respected companies, FYI. Also, in case the question arises, I'm studying in a top 10 Uni, a leading course, excellent recos, work experience, excellent extra-curricular achievements, and top grades. While I may not be as good as Oxbridge, I am, at the very least, confident that my profile is good enough to be granted interviews at good firms.

Edit: I sense that there will be comments regarding this, so just wanted to clear things up. These applications were, for the majority part, targeted. I would have spent hours on a single application, weeks in some cases where I really like the firm and was a good fit to requirements.

My question is, it is alright to want to curb immigration...but isn't there a line for it? At my university, 15 PhD positions have been advertised with really large scholarships for UK and EU citizens. However, more than 6 months on, they have had only 6 applicants (all of whom were selected plainly because there were no more), and have themselves admitted that they are desperate for people, because not many UK/EU students want to pursue PhDs. In that case, why not give the opportunity to an international student? It's ironic that international students are cash cows for Universities, what with them paying over three-four times the national rates. Doesn't the government realise that these stronger employment laws are only discouraging international students from pursuing education in the UK, which would directly affect the income of the universities and thus, directly or indirectly, the government? What is wrong in well-educated and talented people wanting to work for another country?

An afterthought: I understand that there's much debating about immigrants taking undue advantage of the tax system and stuff. This post is only meant to voice out for those who truly want to be English in every sense, and not impose their own rule/culture and/or take advantage of the system.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by anonymnous
Here's the thing. I perfectly understand that nationality can be a subject of partiality in jobs, and that international students have to pay more fees, etc. But as an international student in the UK, I just feel that the situation here is getting way off hand! Just an example - I've literally (and I'm definitely not joking or exaggerating) sent out more than 120 job applications, all of who have mentioned on their website that they welcome international applicants. Then I get rejected from most of them, which makes me doubt about myself. Then I find out later that I've been rejected on visa grounds, due to 'recent internal policies'. So is all this 'diversity and inclusiveness' just for a show? Then why put it up on the website in the fist place? These are really big and well-respected companies, FYI. Also, in case the question arises, I'm studying in a top 10 Uni, a leading course, excellent recos, work experience, excellent extra-curricular achievements, and top grades. While I may not be as good as Oxbridge, I'm, at the very least, confident that my profile is good enough to be granted interviews at good firms.

My question is, it is alright to want to curb immigration...but isn't there a line for it? At my university, 15 PhD positions have been advertised with really large scholarships for UK and EU citizens. However, more than 6 months on, they have had only 6 applicants (all of whom were selected plainly because there were no more), and have themselves admitted that they are desperate for people, because not many UK/EU students want to pursue PhDs. In that case, why not give the opportunity to an international student? What is wrong in well-educated and talented people wanting to work for another country?

An afterthought: I understand that there's much debating about immigrants taking undue advantage of the tax system and stuff. This post is only meant to voice out for those who truly want to be English in every sense, and not impose their own rule/culture and/or take advantage of the system.

Tbh, the number of applications you send out doesn't really mean any thing, unless they're targeted

If you've been rejected on Visa grounds, it's because they want to make sure you have a work visa. Do you? Or do you only have a student visa? It could also be bull**** from the HR department...

And no. Most companies quite like a diverse company, and inclusiveness
Allso, sorry, but just you saying "Im studying in a top 10 uni, with a leading course" means nothing. What they do like is the work experience, which you have and a bit on the extra curricular stuff ie: no company wants someone who can't communicate... Extra curricular activities give you that

At the company I was working at last year (Huge company. 2nd largest company in it's field, across the globe) most people either didn't have degrees, or went to lower down unis. Way lower down. At GSK, most people over there are the same. It's the same across quite a lot of big companies tbh
I think the major issue with the current policies is that they don't want low-skill eastern Europeans, yet all they can is to stop highly skilled and educated people from outside of the EU to come to the UK.
The immigration system is a mess. I don't think that any normal UK citizen has an objection to well-qualified international people coming here to do their bit for the economy. God knows they'd probably do a better job than the next Briton along would.
Reply 4
Your poll does not give enough options.
A student visa to study in the UK should not be viewed as a ticket to a passport, and besides, the UK already has open borders with half a billion people in the EUSSR.

That said, the "progressive" zeitgeist forces companies to parade their "diversity" credentials (ie foreigners, queers, women) like Scout badges, so I can assure you that you are not being directly discriminated against. Maybe try mentioning that you're a transexual Eskimo?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by thesabbath
"diversity" credentials (ie foreigners, queers, women)
Now look here, you women-types, stop pretending to have boobies and lady bits and parading around in skirts.

Sort yourselves out and go back to being proper chaps.

We can't be doing with you supposed 'women', coming over here, encouraging our girls to emulate you.

So stop it at once.

:stupid:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending