The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
From http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf (PDF - page 8)

Of all 2011-12 Offerholders offering 3 or more A-Levels the following A*s were achieved
0 A* : 6.8%
1 A* : 16.2%
2 A* : 23.0%
3 A* : 27.1%
4 A* : 22.4%
5 A* : 4.7%
6+A* : 0.3%

Average: 2.56 A*
% Achieving 3+ A* : 54.5%

Does anyone know the distribution of STEP scores for successful maths applicants?-that's far more important that A*s at A Level.I wouldn't be too worried about this table because its all about getting what grades are in your offers.
Original post by Dalek1099
Does anyone know the distribution of STEP scores for successful maths applicants?-that's far more important that A*s at A Level.I wouldn't be too worried about this table because its all about getting what grades are in your offers.

Warwick not Cambridge...
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/library_and_step_stats#incoming-290587

"There were 263 undergraduate students entering Warwick for Mathematics in 2011 who had achieved grades S,1,2 or 3 in their best STEP paper. This breaks down as follows:"

S : 11
1 : 50
2 : 140
3 : 62

Ah found this - 2014 data:
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/images/176803-step-2014-explanation-of-results.pdf

STEP Mathematics I
Cumulative percentage achieving each grade
S : 3.8%
1 : 18.9%
2 : 48.8%
3 : 79.6%
U :100.0%

STEP Mathematics II
S : 6.7%
1 : 22.9%
2 : 33.6%
3 : 82.2%

STEP Mathematics III
S : 11.0%
1 : 35.4%
2 : 52.2%
3 : 84.5%
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 782
Guys, what would you do in my situation? I'm deciding which university to insurance. It's between two, and here are some of my personal pros and cons:

Imperial (Aeronautical Engineering)
Pros:
-Very prestigious university, especially for engineering
-Nice campus/rich part of the city
-Probably pretty excellent career opportunities
Cons:
-Don't really like London (stressful!)
-Expensive (although would get more government/uni financial support)
-No accommodation after 1st year
-Don't like the course that much, it's very plane-focused which is not where my main interests lie
-A*A offer (compared to Cambridge's A*A*A), so would be a risky insurance

Southampton (Aeronautics & Astronautics)
Pros:
-AB offer, so very safe insurance
-More interesting course personally, more applicable to dream future career
-Quite like the city
-Close to home
Cons:
-Less prestigious - still highly regarded, but I really feel like I might be less motivated for quite a few reasons due to this

I am well on the way to achieving Imperial's entry requirements, and hopefully Cambridge's too, but you never know what will happen. Southampton would be safer for something really bad happening in the summer, but Imperial would be doable with something smaller like an awkward mark scheme or being a bit ill on the day of an exam which drops A2 average below 90% (so not A*).

If I insurance Imperial and a catastrophe happens during exam-season, then I can't go to uni that year. However, Cambridge is my dream university and no where else really compares to it for me. I'm not sure where I'd be happier if I didn't meet Cambridge's requirements, and I'm not sure if I'd even want to go to either of them. I'm currently thinking Southampton is the best bet, but would like to hear what others would do as it is a bit of a dilemma.

Sorry for the slightly pretentious essay. :rolleyes:
Original post by Elcor
Guys, what would you do in my situation? I'm deciding which university to insurance. It's between two, and here are some of my personal pros and cons:

Imperial (Aeronautical Engineering)
Pros:
-Very prestigious university, especially for engineering
-Nice campus/rich part of the city
-Probably pretty excellent career opportunities
Cons:
-Don't really like London (stressful!)
-Expensive (although would get more government/uni financial support)
-No accommodation after 1st year
-Don't like the course that much, it's very plane-focused which is not where my main interests lie
-A*A offer (compared to Cambridge's A*A*A), so would be a risky insurance

Southampton (Aeronautics & Astronautics)
Pros:
-AB offer, so very safe insurance
-More interesting course personally, more applicable to dream future career
-Quite like the city
-Close to home
Cons:
-Less prestigious - still highly regarded, but I really feel like I might be less motivated for quite a few reasons due to this

I am well on the way to achieving Imperial's entry requirements, and hopefully Cambridge's too, but you never know what will happen. Southampton would be safer for something really bad happening in the summer, but Imperial would be doable with something smaller like an awkward mark scheme or being a bit ill on the day of an exam which drops A2 average below 90% (so not A*).

If I insurance Imperial and a catastrophe happens during exam-season, then I can't go to uni that year. However, Cambridge is my dream university and no where else really compares to it for me. I'm not sure where I'd be happier if I didn't meet Cambridge's requirements, and I'm not sure if I'd even want to go to either of them. I'm currently thinking Southampton is the best bet, but would like to hear what others would do as it is a bit of a dilemma.

Sorry for the slightly pretentious essay. :rolleyes:

Imperial any day bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Southampton easily
Reply 786

That's a pretty convincing table, probably will be Southampton then

Cheers guys
Original post by Elcor
Guys, what would you do in my situation? I'm deciding which university to insurance. It's between two, and here are some of my personal pros and cons:Imperial (Aeronautical Engineering)Pros:-Very prestigious university, especially for engineering-Nice campus/rich part of the city-Probably pretty excellent career opportunitiesCons:-Don't really like London (stressful!)-Expensive (although would get more government/uni financial support)-No accommodation after 1st year-Don't like the course that much, it's very plane-focused which is not where my main interests lie-A*A offer (compared to Cambridge's A*A*A), so would be a risky insuranceSouthampton (Aeronautics & Astronautics)Pros:-AB offer, so very safe insurance-More interesting course personally, more applicable to dream future career-Quite like the city-Close to homeCons:-Less prestigious - still highly regarded, but I really feel like I might be less motivated for quite a few reasons due to thisI am well on the way to achieving Imperial's entry requirements, and hopefully Cambridge's too, but you never know what will happen. Southampton would be safer for something really bad happening in the summer, but Imperial would be doable with something smaller like an awkward mark scheme or being a bit ill on the day of an exam which drops A2 average below 90% (so not A*). If I insurance Imperial and a catastrophe happens during exam-season, then I can't go to uni that year. However, Cambridge is my dream university and no where else really compares to it for me. I'm not sure where I'd be happier if I didn't meet Cambridge's requirements, and I'm not sure if I'd even want to go to either of them. I'm currently thinking Southampton is the best bet, but would like to hear what others would do as it is a bit of a dilemma.Sorry for the slightly pretentious essay. :rolleyes:

Id personally go for Imperial, to give yourself the best possible prospects. They have a lot of contacts and lots of money too. They are an engineering university - so it's a no brainer really. Not to mention that prestige title, which you won't really get anywhere else other than Oxbridge. Also you'll find abroad, the only other University people will have heard of other than oxbridge is Imperial due to its highly regarded research facilities.

You have a really good offer too, considering what they have given out to a lot of people. They have started giving STEP offers to CompScis and Engineers lately.

Recently Imperial has actually been given a donation to fund a new flying robotics lab, which is awesome:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/newssummary/news_6-11-2014-10-1-31

I think you will do well at either University but I think you will be pushed and stretched a lot more at Imperial and you will have your pick of Jobs afterwards.

Just my opinions :smile: I would have picked Imperial (for CompSci), were I not going to Cambridge.
Reply 788
Original post by Harryg_95
Id personally go for Imperial, to give yourself the best possible prospects. They have a lot of contacts and lots of money too. They are an engineering university - so it's a no brainer really. Not to mention that prestige title, which you won't really get anywhere else other than Oxbridge. Also you'll find abroad, the only other University people will have heard of other than oxbridge is Imperial due to its highly regarded research facilities.

You have a really good offer too, considering what they have given out to a lot of people. They have started giving STEP offers to CompScis and Engineers lately.

Recently Imperial has actually been given a donation to fund a new flying robotics lab, which is awesome:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/newsandeventspggrp/imperialcollege/newssummary/news_6-11-2014-10-1-31

I think you will do well at either University but I think you will be pushed and stretched a lot more at Imperial and you will have your pick of Jobs afterwards.

Just my opinions :smile: I would have picked Imperial (for CompSci), were I not going to Cambridge.

Thank you. :smile:

The prestige (and all the things that comes with it) is really the only thing drawing me to it at the moment, which is arguably not a great sole-reason to choose a university. I didn't like the feel of the place and people when I visited. I'll think about it for a couple more weeks.
Do any of you by any chance have notes or fact sheets on A2 organic chemistry?

I'll be really grateful if you could send them to me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That 'Imposter Syndrome' you guys were talking about the other day has just hit me like a truck! I know it's silly but its just so strange to imagine that I might be only my way to Cambridge at the end of this year. I'm still not used to being the kind of person who gets good grades.
Reply 791
Original post by tomfailinghelp
That 'Imposter Syndrome' you guys were talking about the other day has just hit me like a truck! I know it's silly but its just so strange to imagine that I might be only my way to Cambridge at the end of this year. I'm still not used to being the kind of person who gets good grades.

I feel exactly the same. When I see myself classed among all the other all A* at GCSE, brilliantly academic all their life, oxbridge offer holders I just feel so out of place, like what how :confused:
Original post by Jasey
I feel exactly the same. When I see myself classed among all the other all A* at GCSE, brilliantly academic all their life, oxbridge offer holders I just feel so out of place, like what how :confused:

ah know the feeling. i have been on the recieving end of many E grades. (except maths obvs )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Weird to think we will be in supervisions in october 😬. (given i get the grades)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Almost a week since we found out. 10 hours off for me, more or less. Because it's maths, I still don't feel like I'm quite in yet hahaha
Anybody any ideas about what qualifies as 'household income' for bursaries? My sister earns money but I don't know if that has to be added to the total household income as I'm not dependent on her?

Original post by Jasey

I know! Feel like my grades are gonna slip at any moment as well (they already are doing so for English... whoops)

Original post by physicsmaths
Weird to think we will be in supervisions in october . (given i get the grades)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good golly gosh I hope so! I would sell my liver to satan to be there this time next year.

Original post by DomStaff
Almost a week since we found out. 10 hours off for me, more or less. Because it's maths, I still don't feel like I'm quite in yet hahaha

10 hours off what?

Sucks that they make you do extra stuff? I know nothing about STEP so please excuse my ignorance, is your offer difficult? Think you'll make it?
Reply 796
Anybody any ideas about what qualifies as 'household income' for bursaries? My sister earns money but I don't know if that has to be added to the total household income as I'm not dependent on her?

I know! Feel like my grades are gonna slip at any moment as well (they already are doing so for English... whoops)

Good golly gosh I hope so! I would sell my liver to satan to be there this time next year.

10 hours off what?

Sucks that they make you do extra stuff? I know nothing about STEP so please excuse my ignorance, is your offer difficult? Think you'll make it?

STEP is very very hard. Maths is the only subject where significantly more are made offers than places exist because of the way they can control acceptances by the skew on step results

Posted from TSR Mobile

10 hours off what?

Last year they gave maths offers to 530 people, only 170 met the STEP 1,1 requirement and they still let in 236 people.

Its pretty hard

Siblings don't count for the Student Loan calculation so it's probably the same for bursaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jasey

Original post by physicsmaths
ah know the feeling. i have been on the recieving end of many E grades. (except maths obvs )
Posted from TSR Mobile

omg so true same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending