The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claratiara
Anyone heard news from HKU fast track yet?????
(I haven't :s)

The non-jupas application system has a new option "Application Status" available for access. It happens to be "Under consideration" for me.
Original post by medguy9292
The non-jupas application system has a new option "Application Status" available for access. It happens to be "Under consideration" for me.

same.

Same... so does it mean we're under the main stream and didn't get the conditional offer :frown:?
Original post by claratiara
Same... so does it mean we're under the main stream and didn't get the conditional offer :frown:?

It is possible. But don't worry, "under consideration" is far better than being rejected.
I haven't heard anything yet either... :|
It says under consideration too
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hopefultruffle19
I haven't heard anything yet either... :|
It says under consideration too

Let's see how would things be for next week!
Reply 46
Original post by vivianthecarrot
the interview was around 15-20mins
very chill ~ don't worry too much

if you don't mind, what kind of question did they ask you?
(i'm a 2016 entry applicant so no need to worry :tongue:)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by schwy
if you don't mind, what kind of question did they ask you?
(i'm a 2016 entry applicant so no need to worry :tongue:)

They asked pretty general questions, like why you want to be a doctor, and also some personal ones. You should probably make sure you're up to date with medical-related news, because I think that makes up the second part of the interview. I was asked about Ebola and untested drugs. They're pretty friendly, so you don't need to be nervous :smile:
Hi guys! :biggrin: My interview is actually tomorrow (haha!) but it seems like most (if not everyone here) got individual interviews :smile: Mine is actually a group interview - and I've got little to no idea on what to expect tomorrow. The email informed me that it's roughly 30 minutes, but I'd have to reserve close to 3 hours for it. From blogs and forums, I get the idea that roughly 10 applicants are interviewed at once. Feeling super, super nervous! Does anyone know how the interview is done? :colondollar:
Original post by roxanne.w
Hi guys! :biggrin: My interview is actually tomorrow (haha!) but it seems like most (if not everyone here) got individual interviews :smile: Mine is actually a group interview - and I've got little to no idea on what to expect tomorrow. The email informed me that it's roughly 30 minutes, but I'd have to reserve close to 3 hours for it. From blogs and forums, I get the idea that roughly 10 applicants are interviewed at once. Feeling super, super nervous! Does anyone know how the interview is done? :colondollar:

Odd. Is this HKU or CUHK med?
Reply 50
edit: nvm
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by helloeltiy
Odd. Is this HKU or CUHK med?

This is HKU undergrad med, main round :smile:
This is HKU undergrad med, main round :smile:

Are you applying from outside HK? I had to go for one too (last week), but after my individual interview (in December). I don't think it was actually necessary to go for this group one though- it was very general, I was grouped with 7 other students applying to different courses, and I think they only want to assess your english language skills because it's a general discussion.

I'm non-jupas, applied from India.
Original post by hopefultruffle19
Are you applying from outside HK? I had to go for one too (last week), but after my individual interview (in December). I don't think it was actually necessary to go for this group one though- it was very general, I was grouped with 7 other students applying to different courses, and I think they only want to assess your english language skills because it's a general discussion.

I'm non-jupas, applied from India.

Yes, I'm from Malaysia :smile: I haven't had an individual interview though - in the group interview do they ask you anything personal? I was thinking that it would be rather unlikely that they'd be discussing each of the candidate's personal statement/motivation to do medicine in a group interview. Are the questions academic or largely medicine related? :smile:

Thanks, and I sure hope your interviews went well! :biggrin:
Yes, I'm from Malaysia :smile: I haven't had an individual interview though - in the group interview do they ask you anything personal? I was thinking that it would be rather unlikely that they'd be discussing each of the candidate's personal statement/motivation to do medicine in a group interview. Are the questions academic or largely medicine related? :smile:

Hahah no, the group interviews are REALLY general, because one group has people from different streams. My group had people from med, business, and engineering. For us it wasn't even academic, forget about it being medicine related :P We were asked to discuss, for half an hour, what we'd do if we could be the education minister of India for a year. It's actually more on the fun and creative side, and the two professors won't contribute at all (they just sit there watching... I hardly saw them make any notes! And one of our professors was the dean of UG admissions). They were pretty impressed by us tbh, but then we were pretty enthusiastic about our topic, so it was pretty simple.

The individual interview however... *fingers crossed*! :biggrin:

Hey Roxanne!

I am from Malaysia too! I attended their talks and will be sitting for my interview the next day. I had a chance to personally chat with the associate dean for the faculty of medicine admissions office. He stated that for Malaysian students applying for the MBBS, we're most likely to sit for one interview only, which is the group interview as he is physically going to be present to assess us. This was not the case apparently for the other years. Should they need more convincing or they just want to do a more proper personality scan or maybe if they really like you but your grades don't match up, they might invite you for a second personal interview. However if you don't get an invite for a 2nd interview, it does not mean they reject you. This is what the professor told me, I can't confirm this first hand as I am on the same boat with you :P, and according to him it's something new they're doing around here.

The group interview as I was told by a lot of people today, is just an assessment of how you present and carry yourself. The associate dean said that communication skills is a heavy quintessential trait he will be looking out for. You will be required to give a 30 to 60 second speech about yourself. Guiding questions will be asked before this, eg: What is your name? What is your favourite book and why? After this, a random topic would be drawn, and all interviewees are to engage in discussion. This can range from anything to death penalty, equality at birth or even the cosmetic surgery situation in Korea. A discussion would ensue for about 30 minutes between interviewees, and thats about the end of the interview. You may be called to stay back (good sign!) so interviewers may talk to you a bit more.

Then again, all this was second hand information, so don't take my word for it. All the best! Hope to see you tmrw! :biggrin:

Lucas
Original post by PowderedSiren07
Hey Roxanne!

I am from Malaysia too! I attended their talks and will be sitting for my interview the next day. I had a chance to personally chat with the associate dean for the faculty of medicine admissions office. He stated that for Malaysian students applying for the MBBS, we're most likely to sit for one interview only, which is the group interview as he is physically going to be present to assess us. This was not the case apparently for the other years. Should they need more convincing or they just want to do a more proper personality scan or maybe if they really like you but your grades don't match up, they might invite you for a second personal interview. However if you don't get an invite for a 2nd interview, it does not mean they reject you. This is what the professor told me, I can't confirm this first hand as I am on the same boat with you :P, and according to him it's something new they're doing around here.

The group interview as I was told by a lot of people today, is just an assessment of how you present and carry yourself. The associate dean said that communication skills is a heavy quintessential trait he will be looking out for. You will be required to give a 30 to 60 second speech about yourself. Guiding questions will be asked before this, eg: What is your name? What is your favourite book and why? After this, a random topic would be drawn, and all interviewees are to engage in discussion. This can range from anything to death penalty, equality at birth or even the cosmetic surgery situation in Korea. A discussion would ensue for about 30 minutes between interviewees, and thats about the end of the interview. You may be called to stay back (good sign!) so interviewers may talk to you a bit more.

Then again, all this was second hand information, so don't take my word for it. All the best! Hope to see you tmrw! :biggrin:

Lucas

Thank you lucas, great info. Best of luck!
Original post by PowderedSiren07
Hey Roxanne!

Lucas

Hi Lucas!

Hope to see you later then! :biggrin: thanks so much for the info - at least I've got a clearer picture now :smile: I was so worried I had been called for an interview that was not MBBS related :frown:

roxanne
Reply 58
Let's see how would things be for next week!

Anyone having an update of the application status (for HKU fast track) from 'Under Consideration' to something positive?

It happens to me still 'Under Consideration'...

Hope we could hear from the department asap:colondollar:
Reply 59
Original post by ox852
Anyone having an update of the application status (for HKU fast track) from 'Under Consideration' to something positive?

It happens to me still 'Under Consideration'...

Hope we could hear from the department asap:colondollar:

I thought for those who are 'Under Consideration' will be pooled into the main round. So I guess we won't be hearing from the faculty until the commencement of the main round exercise.

Just wondering if anyone receive an offer in the fast track? I have an impression they give out really few offers in this round unless they really really like the candidate.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest