The Student Room Group

Blacks what is your experiences with racism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matthewduncan
at nightclubs and festivals?
How many times if any have you been turned away from clubs or festivals.
remember one time i went to one party in essex think it was loughton and one of my mates decided to bring a black guy with him.
as we got to the door the bouncer said you guys can come in but he cant pointing at the black guy.
Another time was at mayfair i was behind a group of blacks and the bouncer said "not tonight lads" lol.
Theres was one time at work also where a colleague told me he paid hotel money,ticket prices,train prices got to the festival and they wouldnt let him and his friend go in even though he had the tickets.
What is your experience.
Asians you can get involved as well as you are brown.
You might experience it as well.

Hmm ive been raving everywhere in Essex. Romford, Chelmsford, Basildon, Southend, Ilford, Brentwood, Colchester, Billericay & Loughton. Loughton is probably the only place where as a black man where you may have trouble getting into the main club their faces. On a Thursday night it's calm no issues on a Friday/Saturday their is usually one particular bouncer who is on undercover militant racism who will talk talk all kinds off rubbish why he can't let you in. But on another note if your a black man who loves white girls all them places in essex you'll have no problem Getting chicks.
Original post by matthewduncan
at nightclubs and festivals?
How many times if any have you been turned away from clubs or festivals.
remember one time i went to one party in essex think it was loughton and one of my mates decided to bring a black guy with him.
as we got to the door the bouncer said you guys can come in but he cant pointing at the black guy.
Another time was at mayfair i was behind a group of blacks and the bouncer said "not tonight lads" lol.
Theres was one time at work also where a colleague told me he paid hotel money,ticket prices,train prices got to the festival and they wouldnt let him and his friend go in even though he had the tickets.
What is your experience.
Asians you can get involved as well as you are brown.
You might experience it as well.

Thanks for letting us asians join in, especially since, well, we're brown!

The only people who are racist are either old, fat, bitter, unhappy or unfulfilled in life. No well-adjusted, happy person has any reason to be racist.

Most people at the places I go are fine.
Never been to the club yet but still.
I got called "Mamadou" at school by white kids.
When I was small, a girl told me that all black people had big noses and it was ugly (so I was ugly).
Most traumatic "memory" would be at the pool where a white woman started cussing at me and calling me names because I was in the sun's way (she was tanning). I was 6 though and I can't really remember much of what she said but I remember feeling mortified.

It's ironic considering that I'm half white.
Original post by IanDangerously
I'm pretty sure the correct word would be "black" ... isn't "coloured" a racially offensive term?

I'm sure the word will change in a few years time, it's a complete ****ing minefield. I remember my dad using a word once (can't remember what it was) to describe a black person and if anybody had heard him they'd be outraged, but when brought up on it he said he was using it BECAUSE he thought that it was the appropriate non racially offensive term so I do think we should really loosen up on this one.
Original post by limetang
I'm sure the word will change in a few years time, it's a complete ****ing minefield. I remember my dad using a word once (can't remember what it was) to describe a black person and if anybody had heard him they'd be outraged, but when brought up on it he said he was using it BECAUSE he thought that it was the appropriate non racially offensive term so I do think we should really loosen up on this one.

Unless you are black yourself, I don't think it's your call what to be offended by. It's really irritating when people try to speak for other communities that they have no idea about.
As with any community, it's their call.
Original post by Bishoy
-1st of all people are not all the same so you never know if you'll be turned away or not.
-Secondly, you asking the question 'why would you still go if you keep getting turned away' shows that it's "okay" to be discriminated against. It also shows that just because there are a couple of racist blokes out there, black people shouldn't just do whatever they want which is completely wrong.
-Finally, I am not black but for some reason I find this thread really offensive.

OMG Thank you, Thank you for saying it. TRUTH: :
God OP, another instance of your compassionate and reasonable character -_-
Black people is the correct term first and foremost. Colour isn't what defines us wholly and we aren't homogenous in taste/culture, so why would having black only clubs make sense.

I don't have trouble getting in places to my knowledge, but I feel that this might be more of an issue with black men rather than women.
Original post by Eveiebaby
Unless you are black yourself, I don't think it's your call what to be offended by. It's really irritating when people try to speak for other communities that they have no idea about.
As with any community, it's their call.

Well that IS the nature of offense, but when we consider the fact that there isn't some helpful rulebook on what the latest politically correct language is then I don't think it should be all that surprising if people end up making mistakes, and I don't really think it's fair to chastise people who are at least trying to use a non-offensive term.
Original post by limetang
Well that IS the nature of offense, but when we consider the fact that there isn't some helpful rulebook on what the latest politically correct language is then I don't think it should be all that surprising if people end up making mistakes, and I don't really think it's fair to chastise people who are at least trying to use a non-offensive term.

I expect mistakes but I don't think it's too difficult unless you're living in the countryside and have absolutely no contact with media or minority groups.

I've met few transsexual women (mtf) but I'd never dream of calling them derogatory names like trannies and calling gay men fags or whatever. You pick things up through reading newspaper, watching news and that sort about language and the way that it evolves.
I expect mistakes but I don't think it's too difficult unless you're living in the countryside and have absolutely no contact with media or minority groups.

I've met few transsexual women (mtf) but I'd never dream of calling them derogatory names like trannies and calling gay men fags or whatever. You pick things up through reading newspaper, watching news and that sort about language and the way that it evolves.

The trouble is that everyone finds different phrases offensive. Some people use "People of Colour" but then using "Coloured People" could be offensive. It doesn't make sense. There is no one term which can be definitely used in every case. It is retarded.

Perhaps, but as the poster above points out a lot of the 'rules' are seemingly arbitrary and what seems like it should be okay isn't. Further the examples you've given aren't directly comparable because it really is all about intent. For example I couldn't really see somebody using the term "fag" without offence being the intent, but "coloured people" I can completely see that being used without any offensive intent, and being used by someone who genuinely thinks it's the appropriate term.

Yeh maybe people should spend more time figuring out what the appropriate term is, but I don't think we should be shocked when people reach for a term thinking it's okay only to find it's not when this sort of thing changes so quickly and changes without any form of public announcement.

Take for example the word 'queer', it's a word that has now been adopted and is used by the LGBT community, but it also has a history as being used as a derogatory term for such people as well, as a result I could not tell you what the appropriate use of that word is, and to be honest I would be offended at anybody who chastised me for an incorrect use of it when my intent was clearly not to offend.
God OP, another instance of your compassionate and reasonable character -_-
Black people is the correct term first and foremost. Colour isn't what defines us wholly and we aren't homogenous in taste/culture, so why would having black only clubs make sense.

I don't have trouble getting in places to my knowledge, but I feel that this might be more of an issue with black men rather than women.

what are you talking about girl?
None that I'm aware of. I went to a secondary school with only a handful of minority kids. My sixth form is much more diverse. In both environments I fit in quite well and feel that my skin colour has not affected the way I am treated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
10/10
I was in canal mills in Leeds NYE I'm black I had on slim got jeans nice black shirt and was dancing and my white friend who was allowed in with a black hoodie was selling MDMA on the dancefloor and I was approached for drugs more than he was even though he had his hood up.
Original post by marco14196
I don't bloody know anymore. Is there a correct term to use anymore. What the hell are we meant to use. Its why I don't really look at peoples colour anymore, I look at nationality. Whats the ok one to use. I'll go with black then, whatever is least offensive

I know what you mean. In my life time the correct PC terminology has been the following:

Black =correct
Black =racist and coloured is the correct term
Black is the correct term and coloured = racist
Both black and coloured are offensive and the current correct term is "people of colour".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Check your privilege, lol not srs.
Life is good, shame about the white guilt some of you suffer as a result of lefties/blacks using their victim cards.

If you're black just put this on during a social gathering and watch the none blacks look towards you for permission to sing along, it will bring the lol's.
(edited 8 years ago)
Has anyone heard of the brown v black incidents.
Lol asians being racist to black. I went to a secondary school ( i left 3 days ago)which was about 97 percent asian and the things they came out with so casually as well like once i was sitting with a girl in maths and somehow she managed to slip this comment in oh if i turned off the light i would only see your teeth laughing as she said it and i could've stood up and went berserk but the disgusting nature of the comment rendered me speechless and they said to my friend and me in general everytime we say the word black you get offended. There have been so many incidents in the past two years and i've tried to explain to them the offensive nature of their comments but they don't seem to get it. They are now accustomed to saying normal inoffensive things about africa like oh we need to raise money for some starving children in africa and they'll turn around and say i hope i didnt mean to offend you and this just riles me even more.
Original post by somemightsay888
Not black, but did witness daily racism at my Secondary school to black people that went totally unpunished.

One time the hockey team were going to an away game in the Winter in a coach. It got dark and the lights blew out in the coach and people started shouted things like "Smile so we can see you" etc. The PE teacher heard and just laughed instead of doing anything. Just one incidents of many really, terrible school

That is pretty funny, as an observation for school children to make. one time going to a small village club in Spain, there were two black fellows on the dance floor. My friend pointed out the value of their reflective white tshirts as they were otherwise invisible.

These kinds of incidents aren't racism, they're just light hearted observations and people who get offended by being described by others accurately must have very low self esteem indeed.

Edit: to the retards who think the diluted term for non-wnon-whites as 'people of colour' is any less offensive than 'neger' are lacking in social etiquette. Who wants to simply be whitewashed as 'minority', when we can narrow that down? Jesus...

Once again this is Cultural Marxism creeping in attwmpting to say this is a white vs. People of Colour power struggle when it is not. It is not even a black and white struggle.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending