The Student Room Group

TSR guys should be feminists

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yo radical one
Firstly, before making some kind of hilarious quip about how feminism is evil - read the thread

Most complaints I see here on this website which guys have about women or about society include

"I hate how I am expected to be wealthy and successful and women are only required to turn up in relationships"

"I hate how men are expected to be emotionally tough and stoic whereas women can cry and nobody would every criticise them"

"I hate how new mothers get more time off work than new fathers"

"I think more women should study hard sciences"

"I hate how historically women have been exempt from military service and how even now they are not given the exact same roles as men when serving in the armed forces"

"I hate how it is seen as the man's job to pay for everything"

"Chivalry is dead" (hardcore whiteknight there)

Literally all of these complaints are in line with the general mission of most mainstream feminist groups, so it just seems like they are complaining about something of which they have no real understanding.

Im sorry, but that is utter *******s . Excuse my language, but to insinuate that all men of TSR agree with the sentiments you have expressed above, is untrue.
Original post by scrotgrot
Feminists should be feminists too then. Clearly they don't organise against any of those issues. Occasionally some of them are mentioned, but no time, money or serious thought is put into them.

yes this

OP I would debate with Monsieur Scrotgrot, he actually does his homework on society, economics, politics etc.

Many TSR have genuine issues when it comes to interacting with women.

If you ever click a girl's profile, you will see these ****ing turbo-virgins making the most awkward conversations with them

that has nothing to do with men's rights and more to do with the fact this forum is full of insecure and emotionally immature geeky 16/17 year olds with social anxiety wanting their first relationship or to plain lose their V. The majority of the forum is introverted by its nature, some of us are plain neurotic :wink:

OP as much as I like you your original statement that

Firstly, before making some kind of hilarious quip about how feminism is evil - read the thread

Most complaints I see here on this website which guys have about women or about society include

"I hate how I am expected to be wealthy and successful and women are only required to turn up in relationships"

"I hate how men are expected to be emotionally tough and stoic whereas women can cry and nobody would every criticise them"

"I hate how new mothers get more time off work than new fathers"

"I think more women should study hard sciences"

"I hate how historically women have been exempt from military service and how even now they are not given the exact same roles as men when serving in the armed forces"

"I hate how it is seen as the man's job to pay for everything"

"Chivalry is dead" (hardcore whiteknight there)

Literally all of these complaints are in line with the general mission of most mainstream feminist groups, so it just seems like they are complaining about something of which they have no real understanding.

is as much hot air as the turbo-virgins conflating omega status with male oppression. I ask for citations of the actions of mainstream feminist issues on men's rights; I know they are out there and some fem.s do care about them, but most feminists (conveniently, certainly those online) like to keep them under the radar. I can give several examples of fem.s preaching men's rights in principle then denying/dismissing men's rights in practice-some from first-hand experience
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Teddysmith123
Should the title not read that tsr guys should be humans instead? :confused: - I mean instead of creating loads of different groups of people ie feminist, religions etc can we all not just be humans!

Posted from TSR Mobile

An attempt for humans to create a coherent harmonious identity and value system not defined by the Other to use as scapegoat at times of disillusionment? That's cute.
Original post by KingStannis
Absolutely not. Feminism actively shuts down male rights groups, and ignores male rights on the basis that "you wouldn't have a gay rights group spend time helping the problems of straight people". So no, it doesn';t not want to improve the lives of the people who have it worse in society (men) at all.

Furthermore, most of those problems are either irrelevant to anti feminists, or actually the product of feminism.

I hate feminism because it perpetuates demonising myths about men, it campaigns for things which are discriminatory against men, I don't feel guilty about having a sexuality, being male, or being white, it sees inequality where it has been demonstrated that there is not, feminist theory is anti scientific, etc etc the list goes on and on.

again gonna need some sources bro.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot

OP as much as I like you your original statement that

is as much hot air as the turbo-virgins conflating omega status with male oppression. I ask for citations of the actions of mainstream feminist issues on men's rights; I know they are out there and some fem.s do care about them, but most feminists (conveniently, certainly those online) like to keep them under the radar. I can give several examples of fem.s preaching men's rights in principle then denying/dismissing men's rights in practice-some from first-hand experience

This is the problem.

These people are mentally incapable of separating their lack of success with women, with the issue of feminism/men's rights.

It's a kind of converse relationship. If a feminist wants women to work, she must also be in favour of equality of gender roles when it comes to earning.
again gonna need some sources bro.

Can't be bothered. The sources for all of these have been bandied about on this site ever since the feminist wars began. I don't get the attitude whereby people feel it's other's responsibility to make them informed. At all.
Can't be bothered. The sources for all of these have been bandied about on this site ever since the feminist wars began. I don't get the attitude whereby people feel it's other's responsibility to make them informed. At all.

Then why partake in any discussion?

At all.
There is no evidence for any discernible causal relationship between anti feminism and people who aren't successful with women. Feminist hates those who are successful with women, as they "objectify" them somehow.

eh I can't participate much in this debate then :frown:

well, I went to Uni to learn **** from a bunch of slightly older people with bad dress sense, if they failed to teach me I'd be pretty pissed

if you don't do it for me do it for The Men
This is the problem.

These people are mentally incapable of separating their lack of success with women, with the issue of feminism/men's rights.

It's a kind of converse relationship. If a feminist wants women to work, she must also be in favour of equality of gender roles when it comes to earning.

I see no sources, just you scapegoating with accusations of conflation :tongue:

I mean c'mon man so far this thread has been one big white knight
(edited 9 years ago)
Then why partake in any discussion?

At all.

To give arguments and opinions. Not to spend my time trawling through the internet searching for "sources" which will then be ignored completely. It is my job to provide an argument, it is your job to find holes in it.

For which part?

TSR guys who are **** with women being against feminism (I have actually seen kingstannis qq'ing about how women don't go for nice guys, which I found most amusing)

The other, is not an argument which follows from evidence, but rather reasoning. If you want women to work the same as men, you are against gender roles in employment. One follows the other, like 1+1=2
eh I can't participate much in this debate then :frown:

well, I went to Uni to learn **** from a bunch of slightly older people with bad dress sense, if they failed to teach me I'd be pretty pissed

if you don't do it for me do it for The Men

I can at least respect you for asking for sources on the op's ridiculous typical feminist claims (yeah those don't share my opinion are virgins, wow, this is an irrefutable argument hurr durr). The truth is, I can't be asked to find sources because I don't feel like it. But anybody who has paid attention to the feminist debate, which we're winning btw, knows that they're out there. The arguments are so established on this site that I don't see the point. If I were saying something new or controversial, then sure, I'd find sources or at least argue very clearly.
I would say the labelling feminist is unnecessary. Anyone who believes men and women are equal are feminists. It should not be seen as something other than pledging for basic human equality.
For which part?

TSR guys who are **** with women being against feminism (I have actually seen kingstannis qq'ing about how women don't go for nice guys, which I found most amusing)

The other, is not an argument which follows from evidence, but rather reasoning. If you want women to work the same as men, you are against gender roles in employment. One follows the other, like 1+1=2

Women don't go for "Nice guys" specifically though. They might go for guys who are nice. But "nice guys" are a type, that aren't attractive. it's basically code for the wimpy kids. But female sexuality is not based on some competition on who can be the "nicest" gets into her pants.

So feminism wants no gender roles in the work force, and yet wants women to have the same pay as men for lower entry standards and less work? Hmm.
For which part?

for 'literally' everything in the OP

Third wave feminism does not do away with primordial hetero-normative attitudes to men, nor does it want to at this present moment in time; the current economic climate demands the largest workforce which means that the stereotype of 'femininity' is being shamed. So in effect men who already serve under the patriarchy and benefit from it will not mind that their privilege as male has now simply become equal status. But the men who do NOT benefit (large number of disenfranchised young men on TSR, insecure, virgins etc.) will react against feminism since the patriarchy was the only thing to give them a notion of being better than someone else. In the sub-strata of TSR it is somewhat pathetic but in social practice the private demand for conformity to hetero-normative notions of masculinity does carry some significant repercussions (dismissal of men's rights)

Yes, I get that, you understand the theory :smile: they always talk about theory, where is the evidence that mainstream feminist groups are supporting men's rights?
Original post by cnova
You're part of the problem. For a start you just generalised and stereotyped men based off your boyfriend. "I won't say misogynists because I don't think they're THAT bad" - are you kidding me? I won't even dignify this statement with a response.

Feminism is all about the females, so of course men aren't going to be all hunky dory about it especially when us men are then made out to be demons. As I stated earlier, an egalitarian is what people should strive to be - equality for all, not for a select few.

No, I didn't stereotype men based off my ex. I used his explanation as to why he didn't like feminism as an example for why some men didn't like it. Nowhere did I say all men.

And you took my statement completely out of context, I was talking about the content of the threads of tsr which are largely sexist and laddish, but I don't deem them to necessarily be misogyny.

Feminism isn't just about women, maybe the first wave was with suffrage but if you look into any third wave (current) feminist rhetoric you'd know that issues feminists are interested in include men (for example how macho expectations are harmful to men, male rape, societal view of fatherhood etc), mental health, ableism, the trans* community...it goes on. Feel free to label it what you want but if you actually went on a feminist blog or a facebook page I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
Women don't go for "Nice guys" specifically though. They might go for guys who are nice. But "nice guys" are a type, that aren't attractive. it's basically code for the wimpy kids. But female sexuality is not based on some competition on who can be the "nicest" gets into her pants.

Must be hard for you.

So feminism wants no gender roles in the work force, and yet wants women to have the same pay as men for lower entry standards and less work? Hmm.

No serious feminist demands that.
I can at least respect you for asking for sources on the op's ridiculous typical feminist claims (yeah those don't share my opinion are virgins, wow, this is an irrefutable argument hurr durr). The truth is, I can't be asked to find sources because I don't feel like it. But anybody who has paid attention to the feminist debate, which we're winning btw, knows that they're out there. The arguments are so established on this site that I don't see the point. If I were saying something new or controversial, then sure, I'd find sources or at least argue very clearly.

:cool: fair enough, I'll consult my 'Gender Wars' thread folder (srs)

seconded, I'm reading No More Mr. Nice Guy at present and the trademark Nice Guy is actually a cowardly, needy, weak-willed pushover with a victim mentality and entitlement complex, displaying an inauthentic sense of self and just generally being dishonest about who and what he is to women and the world alike
Must be hard for you.

No serious feminist demands that.

your attempts to shut down debate by suggesting that I'm bad with women and it devalues me is cute. and kinda against feminism btw, but a feminist never lets the inconsistency and incoherence of his or her beliefs become a barrier for self righteousness :smile:

Most serious feminists demand that, which is why they have CAUSED it. Educate yourself on your own belief system, ffs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending