The Student Room Group

Would you date someone who didn't have a facebook account?

Or would you even believe that they didn't?

I feel quite sad to say this but I think not having facebook (or twitter etc) is affecting my chances of finding a partner! I feel sad that some people in this day and age will only see me as a valid or genuine person if I do not have a social media profile (or in my case persona!) to match.

I have yet to date a guy who as not asked to add me on facebook. When I reply I don't have one it seems to arouse a lot of suspicion.

As for the reason I don't have facebook I first temporarily shut it down over 5 years ago when I got admitted into hospital for anorexia after a year I shut it down permanently and have not rejoined since as I realised that only a 'few' of these friends were there for me in reality and these were the ones I wished to put my energies into. I don't knock others for using it but for me personally I feel it doesn't serves a purpose and again I can only talk from personal experience but it only served to distract me and for me to seek false validation from others. My life has been much more fulfiling and healthy since leaving.

So my question is would you ever date/be in a relationship with blank! Someone who does not have an account?

And for those who 'live off the grid' of social media does it affect your relationships or even friendships. Does your partner trust you without being able to stalk you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
my (female) friend doesnt have a facebook account (or twitter or instagram, but does have whatsapp) yet shes been in a number of relationships before!! so yes, it is possible !! :smile:

dont worry, im sure youll find someone for you one day !! honestly its just a matter of timing... :wink:
Yeah I would. Wouldn't be a problem for me.
Y'all be tripping,who even uses fb anymore
I already am. Don't have one myself either, **** that narcissistic nonsense.
Reply 5
I'd not care unless you refused to send a pic a different way as it looks like your hiding something.
I've only just got back on Facebook. (I'm not even going to say how little amount of friends I've got - it's shocking.) I liked it...years and years ago when it was fairly new but now it's just the same old crap. Even though I have it to keep it touch with the bare minimal amount of friends, if someone I don't know well asks me for an add I just say I don't have it and like you get the whole do-you-exist look. When asked why, I say that I have no interest in scrolling down newsfeeds of people I do not know, like or even care for. So what if Joe Bloggs just bought a new car? How does that vital piece of information serve any purpose other than to compare one life from another? I 100% agree that my life too has been far healthier without it (or much of it). So yeah, I'd be so thrilled to find someone without an account :biggrin: xx
No one cares if you have a facebook account or not if they are determining if they want to be with you.
Absolutely not. Must have Facebook. Must be on Instagram. Must be on Four Square, Twitter, Voxer and Google Plus. Must also have a YouTube account.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
What a stupid question.
Who actually cares about that ****? I rarely use Facebook myself and I don't use twitter/Instagram etc so it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
Original post by Illegal Algebra
Absolutely not. Must have Facebook. Must be on Instagram. Must be on Four Square, Twitter, Voxer and Google Plus. Must also have a YouTube account.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Okay so you've got a facebook account, that don't impressa me much ah ah ahhh, so you got the looks but have you got the touch?"
Don't have a Facebook account people often think it's unusual and either get annoyed cos they can't know everything about me or they're like cool I respect that, it's different.

So I definitely wouldn't judge someone for not having one. What did we do in the 90's?? Was everyone a weirdo? No we just had the simple joy of getting to know who people are rather than what they want people to believe they are
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alow
What a stupid question.

Well then you should not have wasted your valuable time answering.

Sorry but I am talking about an issue that is affecting me currently.

Although I am very happy to hear for most people it is not an issue or a second thought.
Original post by Ebony19

So I definitely wouldn't judge someone for not having one. What did we do in the 90's?? Was everyone a weirdo? No we just had the simple joy of getting to know who people are rather than what they want people to believe they are

I wish I could go back to those days of organic connection and eye contact... Where people made more of an effort to see each other! And to also write letters and have lengthy phone conversations on landlines rather than when they were out and about on the bus or shopping distracted! I hate being on the tube and everyone is staring at their phones rather than having eye contact.
Yes.
Original post by Anonymous
I wish I could go back to those days of organic connection and eye contact... Where people made more of an effort to see each other! And to also write letters and have lengthy phone conversations on landlines rather than when they were out and about on the bus or shopping distracted! I hate being on the tube and everyone is staring at their phones rather than having eye contact.
Same! So sad nowadays, everyone's suffering all these mental health problems and if we look at the way society's functioning nowadays it's no surprise. We're not connecting enough, there's nothing special about telling your friend over facebook how your day is but there's something special about arranging to meet and then when you finally do enjoying chatting without feeling the need to post some bullcrap status 'out for a movie with @babydoll #what a babe' no just ****ing do it, enjoy it, live it.

Social media really has just complicated things too much and made people a lot more pretentious and less real -_-
I've got to admit it is impractical when friends don't have facebook, but you just contact them in other ways. I've never saw it as a problem, but if you were speaking to someone new and they didn't have any social media, I can see why people would be suspicious, as most people our age have it, and you would wonder why. Normally it is from a break down, someone who simply doesn't want to be found or someone who has had some serious **** go down related to social media.

It's a bit off topic but all people do when they add someone they fancy is show their profile picture to their friends, so they can approve they're hot. It's so unromantic. Either that or judge their status' and the way they type. I think if you just give a reason why you don't have it when asked, like I found it unhealthy for me, I have nothing to hide and I prefer the real me, not the online me. If someone said that to me when I asked to add them on facebook, I'd instantly find they more interesting and want to talk to them more.

XXX
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
Or would you even believe that they didn't?

I feel quite sad to say this but I think not having facebook (or twitter etc) is affecting my chances of finding a partner! I feel sad that some people in this day and age will only see me as a valid or genuine person if I do not have a social media profile (or in my case persona!) to match.

I have yet to date a guy who as not asked to add me on facebook. When I reply I don't have one it seems to arouse a lot of suspicion.

As for the reason I don't have facebook I first temporarily shut it down over 5 years ago when I got admitted into hospital for anorexia after a year I shut it down permanently and have not rejoined since as I realised that only a 'few' of these friends were there for me in reality and these were the ones I wished to put my energies into. I don't knock others for using it but for me personally I feel it doesn't serves a purpose and again I can only talk from personal experience but it only served to distract me and for me to seek false validation from others. My life has been much more fulfiling and healthy since leaving.

So my question is would you ever date/be in a relationship with blank! Someone who does not have an account?

And for those who 'live off the grid' of social media does it affect your relationships or even friendships. Does your partner trust you without being able to stalk you?

It's alright, honestly. I don't have Facebook, or twitter, or instagram or anything else that's out there and I'm doing just fine. It's a bit isolating and you probably already know but I see no problem in not being on social media. When people ask me and I say no, they're shocked but I get used to that now. I had one girl tell me once that she didn't trust me because I didn't have Facebook and i was like :eek: you what? Having said that though, I'd assume most people on social media don't have a problem with you not being on it.

If someone looks to validate their relationship via social media then I don't think you really want to be with that person anyway :rolleyes:

Chin up, amigo x
i deleted my account some years back, and it was both refreshing and lonely. social networking, not just by facebook, seems to be just the way it goes with making friends, even employment stuff, linkedin for example, i d be too embarrassed to join cos i wouldn't have 500 plus connections . internet is making some of us more lonely for sure.

Latest

Trending

Trending