The Student Room Group

Is this doable?

I'm about to start my driving lessons.
- My parents do not own a manual vehicle and I will be learning with a manual. They have an automatic car so I don't think the practice with them will be helpful:s-smilie:
- Will I be able to pass with 25hours of lessons if I do not practice outside?
Has anyone passed without practice outside of driving lessons?
My instructor told me not to practice in an automatic.

I'm in a similar situation. My parents have an auto and I have no way of practising outside of lessons. After about 10 hours my instructor told me I needed 35 more, but I stopped lessons because I have too much work to do.

I suppose it's not impossible to do it in 25 without practice but it seems to be a big disadvantage.
Original post by particlestudent
- My parents do not own a manual vehicle and I will be learning with a manual. They have an automatic car so I don't think the practice with them will be helpful:s-smilie:

unless you're an amazing driver, that would be very very difficult.

just do a lot of lessons.
Reply 4
Original post by BitWindy

I'm in a similar situation. My parents have an auto and I have no way of practising outside of lessons. After about 10 hours my instructor told me I needed 35 more, but I stopped lessons because I have too much work to do.

I suppose it's not impossible to do it in 25 without practice but it seems to be a big disadvantage.
I think your instructor is thinking of paying off his bills from Xmas.

Automatics have indicators, lights, steering and mirrors. You must still observe the road conditions and other road users. Keeping distance, stopping at lights, following road signs, parking, reversing - these are the same skills in both.

I learned to drive in two very different cars at once - my Dad's and the instructor's - I reckon that was helpful. Especially when it came to driving different cars when I had passed my test.

During the test, I turned the wipers on when approaching a roundabout to turn right. I turned them off, put the indicators on, and said "Sorry, my Dad's car has them the other way round".

I passed. Probably because I just dealt with it.

I have heard it often suggested that a 2 hour lesson just before your test helps a lot. That will help your feet remember you are in a manual.
Original post by Simes
I think your instructor is thinking of paying off his bills from Xmas.

Automatics have indicators, lights, steering and mirrors. You must still observe the road conditions and other road users. Keeping distance, stopping at lights, following road signs, parking, reversing - these are the same skills in both.

I learned to drive in two very different cars at once - my Dad's and the instructor's - I reckon that was helpful. Especially when it came to driving different cars when I had passed my test.

During the test, I turned the wipers on when approaching a roundabout to turn right. I turned them off, put the indicators on, and said "Sorry, my Dad's car has them the other way round".

I passed. Probably because I just dealt with it.

I have heard it often suggested that a 2 hour lesson just before your test helps a lot. That will help your feet remember you are in a manual.

This is reassuring. I thought I wouldn't be able to pass at all. What minors did you get if you got any? And how many hours of practice did you get with the instructor and your dad?
Reply 6
What minors did you get if you got any?
They must have invented them after I took my test. When I did it you either passed or failed.

And how many hours of practice did you get with the instructor and your dad?
I did loads of practice in my Dad's car - at least two hours every weekend for a few months - while he taught me how to drive. Approaching the test, he arranged about 8 lessons with the instructor for the instructor to teach me how to pass the test.
Original post by Simes
They must have invented them after I took my test. When I did it you either passed or failed.

I did loads of practice in my Dad's car - at least two hours every weekend for a few months - while he taught me how to drive. Approaching the test, he arranged about 8 lessons with the instructor for the instructor to teach me how to pass the test.

Oh right, I guess I should do a lot of practice in my parents automatic car. Everything must be the same right apart from the gears? I think I'll be doing 2 2hour lessons weekly.
Has anyone passed without practice outside of driving lessons?

I passed first time and only had 25 hours of lessons and that was the only time I drove. If you give it all of your concentration, you can do fine without practising.
Original post by Robson689
I passed first time and only had 25 hours of lessons and that was the only time I drove. If you give it all of your concentration, you can do fine without practising.

That's great! What was the hardest part of driving that you picked up mistakes on the most?

My plan will be 2hour lessons twice every week with my instructor.
That's great! What was the hardest part of driving that you picked up mistakes on the most?

My plan will be 2hour lessons twice every week with my instructor.

Mostly small things like being too far from the kerb when going round corners and occasionally speeding. I did 2 hour lessons too, they're much better than just doing 1 hour.
Original post by Robson689
Mostly small things like being too far from the kerb when going round corners and occasionally speeding. I did 2 hour lessons too, they're much better than just doing 1 hour.

I hope I'm as good as you then:biggrin: I want to pass my driving test at least by May
Also is the Theory Test Bundle- Driving Test success app enough for revision to pass the theory test?

Even though your parents car is an automatic it would still be useful to you if you used that for additional practice.

Learning to drive is as much learning how to read what's going on around you, learning to judge what other cars are doing and generally developing a better sense of how to behave while on the road.

The actual process of learning how to use a manual gearbox is actually a relatively small part of learning to drive.

So as long as you're not incompetent then 25 hours of lessons plus the additional practice in your parents car (despite it being an automatic) should easily be enough for you to pass.
Original post by BitWindy

Your instructor is either an idiot or a liar.

Driving an automatic still helps develop an understanding of how the roads work, improves your ability to judge situations, read the traffic around you, and learn how to manoeuvre your car safely.

Sure you don't have the gears, but you still have every other aspect of driving present and learning to drive is mostly learning how to read what is going on around your own vehicle and how to manoeuvre your own car and learning how to use a manual gearbox is a relatively small part of it.

Ignore your driving instructor, get added to your parents insurance, and you'll pass quicker than you would do otherwise and it'll cost you less as you'll likely cut out 10 or more hours of lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending