Original post by PrincessAlexis
Oh :redface:

where do you think you will firm ?

Cambridge, it's actually an easier offer for me too
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Would be a total waste of time switching to Econ for the sake of IB as Econ is in no way a prerequisite for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But surely these types of banks would prefer a Econ undergrad as opposed to an IR & History degree?
Original post by EHZ17
Cambridge, it's actually an easier offer for me too

I got an offer for Cambridge :smile:

I'm going with LSE.

I don't like Cambridge as a town.
It is also very hard, I wouldn't advise someone to take on such a degree just for the sake of it. LSE is already quite difficult. Better a 1st in IR than a 2.2 in Econ (after years of hating it).

Would you mind explaining the difficulty of transferring to me? I am unfamiliar with how the UK universities work, so I'm genuinely curious. Why would it be difficult?

I'm going with LSE.

What were your offers? And why did you apply if that was the case?
Original post by drcharisma
But surely these types of banks would prefer a Econ undergrad as opposed to an IR & History degree?

Your degree becomes (slightly) more relevant dependent on the division you're applying to, but no, they don't tend to show any explicit preference for econ degrees.
Original post by EHZ17
What were your offers? And why did you apply if that was the case?

So far:

Cambridge
LSE

Waiting on

LSE for second course
Kings
UCL (they made me do this essay).

Applied due to family pressure.
Original post by drcharisma
Would you mind explaining the difficulty of transferring to me? I am unfamiliar with how the UK universities work, so I'm genuinely curious. Why would it be difficult?

Yes, it actually would be a little difficult.

Maybe in first week you'll be okay but Econ is massively popular so you're gambling on the chance they have spaces for you.

My friend actually left UCL and is reapplying because they wouldn't let him move from biochem to econ (remember it's different departments).

I'm on my gap year now and a few of my friends who went to uni last year did what you did and it didn't end well.

Courses like Econ, Law are very popular, you're more likely to be moved from IR + History to straight IR than to move from say Sociology to Econ.

Why didn't you apply for Econ ?
Yes, it actually would be a little difficult.

Maybe in first week you'll be okay but Econ is massively popular so you're gambling on the chance they have spaces for you.

My friend actually left UCL and is reapplying because they wouldn't let him move from biochem to econ (remember it's different departments).

I'm on my gap year now and a few of my friends who went to uni last year did what you did and it didn't end well.

Courses like Econ, Law are very popular, you're more likely to be moved from IR + History to straight IR than to move from say Sociology to Econ.

Why didn't you apply for Econ ?

Ah I see, thanks for the informative answer! I honestly did not know that I would apply to the UK two years ago, and I thought that I was only going to America. As a result, my HL subjects are History, English, and Economics. Since my Math is not HL, I would be directly rejected from Econ.

Oh well. I guess IR & History doesn't sound that bad of a path.

By the way, congrats on Cambridge!

I'm going with LSE.

As a total experience .... bet LSE and Cambridge .... I think Cambridge will win hands down. But outside of Oxbridge LSE wins ... just my opinion ... others may or may not agree.
Original post by EHZ17
I doubt I'll be going to LSE :/

Tbf, if I was a Cambo offer holder you simply have to go to cambridge for the whole experience imo, my brain always told me throughout the process that I'd have more fun in London, but I knew I'd firm cambridge if j had an offer
I appreciate that finance/investment societies at the LSE obvs help with careers and such, but do people think that it would be hard to hold up a commitment to those societies aswell as an AU team?
Original post by cappunno18
Would you guys choose HSPS at cambridge or Politics at LSE if you had the choice?

Funny you say that my Cam offer is for HSPS. I'm going with LSE IR or LSE IR + Pol....

All depends on personal preferences tbh and what you want out of the experience.
Original post by jchap9776
I appreciate that finance/investment societies at the LSE obvs help with careers and such, but do people think that it would be hard to hold up a commitment to those societies aswell as an AU team?

I read on here that people usually join 2-3 socieities so I'm thinking of joining two career ones and one 'fun' one. Should be okay :smile:
Original post by cappunno18
Would you guys choose HSPS at cambridge or Politics at LSE if you had the choice?

HSPS would be much more interesting ..... unless there is a driving reason for politics ... and there's the Cambridge experience which trumps LSE ... even though I think LSE is very good in many things.
I read on here that people usually join 2-3 socieities so I'm thinking of joining two career ones and one 'fun' one. Should be okay :smile:

Ah cool, that's good then :smile:
Funny you say that my Cam offer is for HSPS. I'm going with LSE IR or LSE IR + Pol....

All depends on personal preferences tbh and what you want out of the experience.

Agree with you it is all about preferences. But please bear in mind that while LSE may hv a great rep and excellent academics and definitely the place to go in most circumstances .... you will be giving up a lot if you choose it over Cambridge as LSE doesn't hv much of an university experience. Ok if you are comparing with most universities but not so if you compare with Oxbridge. Just my opinion but I think many will agree.
Original post by GandalfWhite
Agree with you it is all about preferences. But please bear in mind that while LSE may hv a great rep and excellent academics and definitely the place to go in most circumstances .... you will be giving up a lot if you choose it over Cambridge as LSE doesn't hv much of an university experience. Ok if you are comparing with most universities but not so if you compare with Oxbridge. Just my opinion but I think many will agree.

No doubt it has a good university experience and is more of a campus etc. Sadly, I have to be in London. :frown:

Two years ago I and my bestfriend founded a side business (it's small but the turnover is about 80k a year now). London is just easier for me because most of our meetings, contacts, networking events etc are in London. I would get tired of commuting between London & Cambridge for the random meetings and things we go to and somethings random things come up where I need to be there and it'll just be easier to be within the area.

I took a gap year to work hard on the business and grow it so I knew that when I was going to uni it was in a good place and I'd feel bad leaving it all to go to Cambridge. :frown:

London just works better. I'm hoping to keep growing the business as I have done (it'll be a good EC to mention when I eventually apply for my grad schemes too).
No doubt it has a good university experience and is more of a campus etc. Sadly, I have to be in London. :frown:

Two years ago I and my bestfriend founded a side business (it's small but the turnover is about 80k a year now). London is just easier for me because most of our meetings, contacts, networking events etc are in London. I would get tired of commuting between London & Cambridge for the random meetings and things we go to and somethings random things come up where I need to be there and it'll just be easier to be within the area.

I took a gap year to work hard on the business and grow it so I knew that when I was going to uni it was in a good place and I'd feel bad leaving it all to go to Cambridge. :frown:

London just works better. I'm hoping to keep growing the business as I have done (it'll be a good EC to mention when I eventually apply for my grad schemes too).

Well you have compelling reasons to do so. Well done on your entrepreneurial venture.
Original post by EHZ17
Are all economists here looking to go into investment banking by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Holla at cha bwoi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending