The Student Room Group

Offer from EY But....

So I've been offered a graduate position in EY; within assurance, at a regional office and commencing in September 2015. First of all, let me say I am thrilled. It's a great opportunity to work for a great firm.

I received an email outlining the basic terms of my contract, and it says my notional salary begins at 13,500 per anum. Don't get me wrong, I realise EY is investing in my future by putting me through my ACA qualification, and that as a first year trainee I won't merit any kind of salary until I get qualified, but isn't 13.5 k a wee bit on the low side?

I figured it would be at least 15k, considering the working hours and studying around the job. Aside from the fact that everything I had read online and heard from others was that salary starting was anywhere between 17-21 k.

What do you guys think? I'm minded to accept the offer, even on a lower starting salary there is a great opportunity for advancement, though I'm not sure by how much my salary will increase year on year.

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Which regional office is this? I've accepted an offer for KPMG Southampton and the salary is considerably more than that.
Reply 2
Original post by chester.
Which regional office is this? I've accepted an offer for KPMG Southampton and the salary is considerably more than that.

It's Belfast, within a new team set up called 'Extended Travel' where we are travelling around the UK Monday -Thursday to go out to clients on site, and then working on Friday from my home office. Do you think that's a factor in the lower salary? It's still audit within assurance and I'll still be working towards the ACA qualification.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, it just seems a bit low to me.
I'm from NI and had a couple of friends who said that the salary in Belfast offices is quite low compared to the rest of the UK. It was a factor in me deciding not to go home. I know Belfast isn't the most expensive place to live, but I feel that that salary wouldn't carry you as far as mine will down here. Not sure....
Reply 4
Thanks for the help, I don't have much going on in terms of offers from firms, so I think I will accept it as it will still 'get my foot in the door' so to speak, and allow me to get the ACA qualification which will hopefully open doors later.
Reply 5
Original post by stannis
Thanks for the help, I don't have much going on in terms of offers from firms, so I think I will accept it as it will still 'get my foot in the door' so to speak, and allow me to get the ACA qualification which will hopefully open doors later.

Smart move. The salary does seem a bit low but if you can live with parents or get by on savings then just think of the opportunities and money you will be on further down the line. EY is a great name to put on your CV. Congrats.
Don't take that offer, it's a joke. Essentially minimum wage and they'll be a lot more hours than your contracted 37.5 a week too.

You'd be better off getting a job at McDonalds ffs.
Reply 7
Original post by stannis
So I've been offered a graduate position in EY; within assurance, at a regional office and commencing in September 2015. First of all, let me say I am thrilled. It's a great opportunity to work for a great firm.

I received an email outlining the basic terms of my contract, and it says my notional salary begins at 13,500 per anum. Don't get me wrong, I realise EY is investing in my future by putting me through my ACA qualification, and that as a first year trainee I won't merit any kind of salary until I get qualified, but isn't 13.5 k a wee bit on the low side?

I figured it would be at least 15k, considering the working hours and studying around the job. Aside from the fact that everything I had read online and heard from others was that salary starting was anywhere between 17-21 k.

What do you guys think? I'm minded to accept the offer, even on a lower starting salary there is a great opportunity for advancement, though I'm not sure by how much my salary will increase year on year.

Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Wow that is low, I thought it would be double that.
Reply 8
Original post by Tbx
Wow that is low, I thought it would be double that.

Well it says that is the 'guideline amount', and my salary will be finalised closer to joining them but I can't see it going up too much from that.

I do live with my parents and the cost of living in Belfast is a lot lower than say London, but I was surprised at how low the figure was. But I have no intention of moving out for a few years anyway, and the job in question involves being on the road Monday-Thursday probably with a lot of hotel stops so food would be the only expense really and whatever I need to live on at weekends.

Is it the done thing to negotiate with these firms? Or would that not go down well at all?

There are still a few areas that I need clarification on, to be a contract the information was quite vague. If they tell me that my salary will increase after each year of passing exams that would be a sweetener that would make things easier.
Original post by stannis
Well it says that is the 'guideline amount', and my salary will be finalised closer to joining them but I can't see it going up too much from that.

I do live with my parents and the cost of living in Belfast is a lot lower than say London, but I was surprised at how low the figure was. But I have no intention of moving out for a few years anyway, and the job in question involves being on the road Monday-Thursday probably with a lot of hotel stops so food would be the only expense really and whatever I need to live on at weekends.

Is it the done thing to negotiate with these firms? Or would that not go down well at all?

There are still a few areas that I need clarification on, to be a contract the information was quite vague. If they tell me that my salary will increase after each year of passing exams that would be a sweetener that would make things easier.

I work for another big 4 and I am aware the Belfast office is on a low pay scale, reason being is the amount they are sent around the country on away jobs. When you are away you will have hotels and evening meal expenses (possibly other expenses) paid for by the firm.

However, £13.5k is still extremely low and I know I would not be able to run my shared flat on that salary.
13.5K is a joke. I don't know what the cost of living is like in Belfast but I'm not sure if it'll be exactly half of what London is in every sense. A new grad in London is starting on around 28K or so.
Can you survive on that?
Reply 12
Original post by clh_hilary
Can you survive on that?

I think I could yes, it won't be easy but I am generally quite prudent when it comes to money. The job is working on the mainland travelling to clients Monday-Thursday, with most if not all expenses paid for by the firm. So I'll only really have to finance myself Friday-Sunday. Live with Parents so no rent there.

One thing I do need to know before I make a decision is the prospects of how much this salary will rise. I'd like to think it would increase year on year as I progress through my training contract.
Original post by stannis
I think I could yes, it won't be easy but I am generally quite prudent when it comes to money. The job is working on the mainland travelling to clients Monday-Thursday, with most if not all expenses paid for by the firm. So I'll only really have to finance myself Friday-Sunday. Live with Parents so no rent there.

One thing I do need to know before I make a decision is the prospects of how much this salary will rise. I'd like to think it would increase year on year as I progress through my training contract.

I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but generally Big Four have a salary scale for you to go up as long as you pass the tests along the way and stay. But it's not actually a guaranteed and earlier when the market was bad, they laid off entire departments or levels of employees and make some come to work on like 30% of their salary. Don't know if that happened in Northern Ireland.

Also, you'll just have more and more work when you progress, so if you don't enjoy it, your life will be horrible.
Reply 14
I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but generally Big Four have a salary scale for you to go up as long as you pass the tests along the way and stay. But it's not actually a guaranteed and earlier when the market was bad, they laid off entire departments or levels of employees and make some come to work on like 30% of their salary. Don't know if that happened in Northern Ireland.

Also, you'll just have more and more work when you progress, so if you don't enjoy it, your life will be horrible.

I've done quite a bit of research, I know the challenges it will bring. I'm a Law graduate so it will be a bit of a change for me. I'd like to think even if I hated it I would stick out the three years to get my qualification. At that point if I am not happy with my salary I can choose to leave and enter the marketplace with a credible and practical qualification.
Original post by stannis
I've done quite a bit of research, I know the challenges it will bring. I'm a Law graduate so it will be a bit of a change for me. I'd like to think even if I hated it I would stick out the three years to get my qualification. At that point if I am not happy with my salary I can choose to leave and enter the marketplace with a credible and practical qualification.

This is what most people think. But if you dislike accountancy, what kind of job will you be looking for with you 'credible and practical qualification'?

I don't think the fact that you didn't read accountancy will count against you though. Most of the time you will be doing quite elementary stuff, and the company provides you training anyway.
Reply 16
Original post by stannis

AFAIK Larking Gowen a rank 50 accountancy firm paid 16-18k to ACA graduates in 2008.

You could try negotiate but personally I wouldn't. Generally your salary goes up as you pass exams.

This is what most people think. But if you dislike accountancy, what kind of job will you be looking for with you 'credible and practical qualification'?

I don't think the fact that you didn't read accountancy will count against you though. Most of the time you will be doing quite elementary stuff, and the company provides you training anyway.

Assuming OP sticks it out and passes all ACA exams, they can expect 40-45k after 3 years. Many different types of exit ops possible.
Original post by Tbx

Assuming OP sticks it out and passes all ACA exams, they can expect 40-45k after 3 years. Many different types of exit ops possible.

The point is if you hate doing the job, do you want another job in another company which does the same thing or similar thing?
Reply 18
The point is if you hate doing the job, do you want another job in another company which does the same thing or similar thing?

Ah my bad, read your reply wrong. I think if you hate the job but it pays well most people would still do it. Plus I suppose its better to have a graduate job rather than no job.
Original post by Tbx
Ah my bad, read your reply wrong. I think if you hate the job but it pays well most people would still do it. Plus I suppose its better to have a graduate job rather than no job.

It depends on if the work justifies the pay. And you don't necessarily get no jobs if you don't go into accountancy.

I'd think law graduates are quite well sought-after.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending